Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lap Band Doctor Sucks!!!!!!!

I had my surgery in early May of this year and I can only attribute the 30 lbs I've lost so far to my own efforts (eating less than 1200 calories a day and working out everyday). My band is still doing...NOTHING. Needless to say, the last few months I have actually been putting on weight (which has been a result of weights...I typically have VERY muscular legs and put on muscle quickly). When I came in for my appt. today I was weighed and I put on two pounds. He didn't ask if anything had changed in my life, or if I'm doing anything differently, he just assumed I wasn't counting calories. He went on to gripe about my not counting calories the entire time I was there. I finally got sick of his mouth and got up from the table and got my purse. He asked about my sudden attitude and I informed him I didn't appreciate being berated by him over something I'm struggling with (my weight) and I don't appreciated being spoken to like a 3 year old. He said, "You are a 3 year old." It took everything in me not to lay his ass out in that room (he is probably a good 140lbs soak and wet). I cursed him out (aside from me choking him) left and asked the always confused receptionist to give me copies of all my records so I can go somewhere else. This man is doing nothing but billing my insurance company for my fills each month. I get .5cc per visit or less and my band holds 12CC. I have never been talked to in this manner by any "professional". Clearly he doesn't know who he is dealing with. Not only have I filed a complaint with the state board of medical examiners, but I have also filed a complaint with my insurance company and I plan to spend the rest of the day scandalizing his name via the net. I'm not done with this bastard just yet. I already have an appt with another fill doctor next month.

Doctor: Richard Carter

515 W Mayfield Rd Suite 300

Arlington, TX 76014

Don't waste your time or energy on this SOB!!!!!!!!!

So what is your diet ? Can you give us an example of Breakfast lunch and dinner? Maybe someone on here can help.

Also, That was pretty rude of your Dr. So sorry that happened to you .

Just doing a small amount of research on this doctor, I was able to find some information on why I personally would never have chosen this guy:

Richard A. Carter, D.O., who practices surgery in Arlington, Texas, has been disciplined three times by the Texas Board of Medical Examiner, twice related to surgery and once for false advertising.

• In 2006, the the board and Carter entered into an agreed order under which he paid an administrative penalty of $1,000 was required to complete ten hours of continuing medical education in the area of medical records and charting. The action was based on allegations that he had failed to meet the standard of care by leaving a sponge in the abdomen during an operation in which part of a patient's intestine was removed.
  • In 2009, as shown below, the board ordered him to pay a $5,000 administrative fine and refrain from making misleading claims about himself and AmazeRx, a meal-replacement product he has been promoting. The Board action resulted from a complaint I made about infomercial and Web site advertising which claimed that the product could cause weight loss of up to a pound a day and failed to clearly state that the people who gave testimonials to that effect had undergone bariatric surgery. The order (shown below) prohibits any statements or claims that (a) he is "America's weight loss doctor," (B) he is one of the most successful bariatric surgeons in the nation, and © the product will cure fatty livers and/or nutritional cirrhosis." Carter is also prohibited from making any other misleading claims about immediate results or long-term sustainability or how post-bariatric surgical patients compare to the general population. Infomercial Watch has a detailed analysis of the AmazeRx infomercial.
  • In 2011, Carter and the board entered into an agreed order requiring him to pay a $1000 administrative fine and complete 20 hours of continuing medical education that includes 5 hours in medical record-keeping, 5 hours in risk management and 10 hours in physician/patient communication. The Board found Carter did not adequately document his rationale for the timing for removal of a patient's lap band or that he had counseled the patient.

Makes me so glad that stuff like the internet exists so I was able to research the surgeon who will be doing mine and my wife's surgery.

Just doing a small amount of research on this doctor, I was able to find some information on why I personally would never have chosen this guy:

Richard A. Carter, D.O., who practices surgery in Arlington, Texas, has been disciplined three times by the Texas Board of Medical Examiner, twice related to surgery and once for false advertising.

• In 2006, the the board and Carter entered into an agreed order under which he paid an administrative penalty of $1,000 was required to complete ten hours of continuing medical education in the area of medical records and charting. The action was based on allegations that he had failed to meet the standard of care by leaving a sponge in the abdomen during an operation in which part of a patient's intestine was removed.
  • In 2009, as shown below, the board ordered him to pay a $5,000 administrative fine and refrain from making misleading claims about himself and AmazeRx, a meal-replacement product he has been promoting. The Board action resulted from a complaint I made about infomercial and Web site advertising which claimed that the product could cause weight loss of up to a pound a day and failed to clearly state that the people who gave testimonials to that effect had undergone bariatric surgery. The order (shown below) prohibits any statements or claims that (a) he is "America's weight loss doctor," (cool.png he is one of the most successful bariatric surgeons in the nation, and © the product will cure fatty livers and/or nutritional cirrhosis." Carter is also prohibited from making any other misleading claims about immediate results or long-term sustainability or how post-bariatric surgical patients compare to the general population. Infomercial Watch has a detailed analysis of the AmazeRx infomercial.
  • In 2011, Carter and the board entered into an agreed order requiring him to pay a $1000 administrative fine and complete 20 hours of continuing medical education that includes 5 hours in medical record-keeping, 5 hours in risk management and 10 hours in physician/patient communication. The Board found Carter did not adequately document his rationale for the timing for removal of a patient's lap band or that he had counseled the patient.

Makes me so glad that stuff like the internet exists so I was able to research the surgeon who will be doing mine and my wife's surgery.

Where did you find that? I'm doc shopping now and I'd like to get the low-down on some scalpel jockies.

I did a search for "Dr Richard Carter Texas reviews" and a few sites popped up..the one I found that info on was: http://www.casewatch.org

You can try sites such as:

vitals .com

healthgrades .com

obesityhelp .com

Edited by Scooterbug

2bSmaller, my issue is not the amount of weight I've lost thus far. As I've stated before when I start using weights I ALWAYS put on weight as oppose to losing. I can tell I'm getting leaner because I'm fitting into pants I've never been able to wear, but the weight loss is not reflected on the scale.

My issue is the rudeness of the a*****e who presents himself as a doctor for those who are struggling with their weight. I have already found another fill doctor and when I called and told the receptionist when I had surgery, she was amazed I was not at a level of restriction. With only 2.5cc of Fluid in a 12 cc band, I guess not.

Scooterbug, THANKS for the info. I plan to add to those sanctions because I am also filing a complaint with the hospital he works at. He is going to be real tired of me. Seasons Greeting Ass!

yes! write about him all over the internet! that will help others avoid his office. i had a rude and crappy surgeon at first that scheduled my surgery date.. then AFTERWARDS i got a call from the office that he had "changed his mind because he didint think i would be successful". i quickly found another surgeon who was able to come to the rescue and has been wonderful. good luck to you, and i hope you find a much better doc!

Thanks Skinny. You can tell which doctors are out to get as much insurance money as possible and the ones who truly care about your weight loss success.

Just adding in my 2 cents worth ........

It is sad a lapband surgeon would act that way .... very sad .....

As for my own experience, I have not counted calories from day one. My band has been adjusted properly, so counting calories is really not required for success with the band. I lost 100 pounds in the first year and I have maintained a normal BMI for at least 1 1/2 years. My surgeon NEVER asked me about how many calories I eat and has NEVER asked me about the foods I eat on any given day . No food journaling for me. My results speak for themselves .....

Sorry to hear that. Try my doctor, Robert Snow in Hurst. He is awesome! He is truly one of the most fun, upbeat and attentive doctor's I have ever known. And is staff rocks! I wish I could make him my PCP.

He takes other doctor's fill patients because my friend goes there and she had her band done in Mexico.

wow, what an a-hole. that is messed up. i would file every complaint i could on this guy. he should not be practicing medicine. you should be restricted by now, at least have 7 cc in that band. that is crazy. i am 8 months out and am 3/4 full, and will most likely not get any more fills, if i do it will be minimal. i would be finding a new doctor asap. no one needs to be treated like that.

Since then I have requested my medical records and have an appt with another fill doctor next week, who will hopefully be a little bit more aggressive. I am coming close to my one year anniversary and have nothing in my band and I'm not even close to restriction. Every forum I come across or every web site that mentions him, where I can leave feedback, I leave a much negative feedback as possible. Hopefully this man will be out of business soon.

@Humming Bird Thanks for you input. I agree that counting calories is not the answer. It works well when you have reached restriction because the band is going to prevent you from eating the number of calories you ate before, but when you can still eat anything, telling me to eat 1200 calories a day or less is a little unrealistic. Granted I don't eat like I did prior to my surgery, I can still have sandwiches, Pasta, pretzels, etc. The band is supposed to be doing SOMETHING.

Sorry you were treated so poorly. By all means,file a complaint if you feel you should. Sounds like this guy is already on the BME shitlist,so he's been tagged.But,I have a patient who filed a complaint with the board(private)and then blasted a Urologist all over the social media. Turns out it was the pts. word against the Dr.(no proof),and the surgeon has filed a deffimation lawsuit against my pt. He's had to get a second mortgage on his house just to pay his legal bills. He's in serious trouble financially..... Good luck to you.