Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous About Lap Band Surgery

Hi all ive been on this sight for a while,have chatted with quite a few, my surg is 12/21 and im so nervous and second guessing everything.I still want this surg but what if i fail and i still dont have the energy to exercise,plz people i need words of wisdom and encouragement.

thank you all!!

I can tell you now that I am 6 days post opt, what you are feeling is normal. I had a very emotional journey just getting onto the operating room table. My husband was banded 1 week before me and I knew that there was no way I was going to be left behind. I cried that morning at the hospital but I can honestly say the only regret I have is that I didn't do it any sooner. I just wrote a follow up thread

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/140120-happy-band-day-to-me/

Hope this helps!

Try to be excited for your new life. The only regret you're going to have is that you didn't do this sooner. Good luck to you!

Agree with the others that being nervous is normal. I promise you that it will be worth it and you're giving yourself an amazing gift. Good luck - you'll do great!

Your emotions are shared by many. I'm nervous wondering if I should opt for the sleeve versus the band. As long as you have a good support system everything will be fine. There are so many people here to get us through this journey. Get ready to enjoy the rest of your life.

i just had my band done on tues dec 13th, so far so good. no complications, no pain except for the soreness on my left side like a really bad pulled muscle. getting to the day of surgery was a little nervewracking, but once i was done i was soooooo glad it was over and that i could get on with my life. so far i ve lost 12 lbs total- about 5-6 the 2 weeks before, and about 6 this week. i know the hard work is still ahead, but i figure as long as i follow my docs orders ill be ok. best of luck to you -YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!

I am scheduled 12/27 and actually had a panic attack today. I have had 2 in my whole life. But the thought of everything this entails, the change in life, the what-ifs, I am with you there. But I am going to do it, and keep moving forward. It sounds like that's the best option. I think I will have some tears ahead of me, both pre-op and post-op. But we can do this, together, all of us! I started keeping a journal, it has been a good way for me to get out my stress instead of keeping it bottled up. I actually found an online site that is secure so I don't have to worry about people reading some of my thoughts. I think pre-op we are all having the exact same thoughts and fears. Keep expressing them, sharing them, but don't let them stop you. This is best for your health and the rest of your life.

Don't know if this will make you feel any better, but the day if my surgery, after I was gowned and in the surgery suite I absolutely flipped out! Crying, shaking, couldn't breath the whole 9 yards. They had to bring my husband back to help calm me down, not to mention the meds they put in my iv...lol. You are completely normal sugar, and we've all been there. So if you need to flip out, go for it. It's part of the process, your losing the only way of life you've ever known. It's scary, and exciting, and completely nerve wracking. It's ok to feel what you feel, just don't let it change your mind...and remember if you need to talk, we're all here for ya!!

Good luck!!!

Kelly

Don't know if this will make you feel any better, but the day if my surgery, after I was gowned and in the surgery suite I absolutely flipped out! Crying, shaking, couldn't breath the whole 9 yards. They had to bring my husband back to help calm me down, not to mention the meds they put in my iv...lol. You are completely normal sugar, and we've all been there. So if you need to flip out, go for it. It's part of the process, your losing the only way of life you've ever known. It's scary, and exciting, and completely nerve wracking. It's ok to feel what you feel, just don't let it change your mind...and remember if you need to talk, we're all here for ya!!

Good luck!!!

Kelly

I know this isn't my topic, but it is great to hear, thank you, thank you, thank you. And to know we can flip out and not have surgery scheduled, again- thank you.

I get people being scared, it is a transition that is getting us away from the norm. A lot of us have gotten us to the idea of being overweight and eating horrible food. Most have been doing eat the majority of their lives. It started @ childhood for must, I remember my Mom making my plate as a child and we didn't waste food. So you cleaned your plate, full or not you finished. We have developed that mindset as an adult. I found myself using the same method with my children. I am breaking that cycle, I do not want them dealing with weight issues. This will force us to break bad old habits! You will do great, we are here for you and will support you.

I had a couple of crying mini meltdowns. A week before with all the pre-op appointments and juggling my family and then of course a small one as I was being wheeled into the Operating Room! :)

I am scheduled 12/27 and actually had a panic attack today. I have had 2 in my whole life. But the thought of everything this entails, the change in life, the what-ifs, I am with you there. But I am going to do it, and keep moving forward. It sounds like that's the best option. I think I will have some tears ahead of me, both pre-op and post-op. But we can do this, together, all of us! I started keeping a journal, it has been a good way for me to get out my stress instead of keeping it bottled up. I actually found an online site that is secure so I don't have to worry about people reading some of my thoughts. I think pre-op we are all having the exact same thoughts and fears. Keep expressing them, sharing them, but don't let them stop you. This is best for your health and the rest of your life.

thank you all so much for the support!!!

I am scheduled to have lap band surgery 12/27. I too am nervous about it. I've lost weight on my own several times and just gained it back plus more weight. For me, the lap band will help me keep the weight off once I have lost it and will change my life. I'm nervous but ready to change the rest of my life so I can be happy.