Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Days Post Lap Band Surgery 19 Pounds Lost?!

Okay, so I had my surgery on December the 9th the first few days I was pretty bad. The following day after surgery I went back to the hospital because i literally felt that I was going to faint! Anyways they kept me over night and was released the next day each day I feel better and better which I am so greatful for!

Sometimes I get painful pain on my top left abdomen when I get hiccups, but like I said each day os better!

So Here I am more than a week post op and I am down 19 pounds! Starting from 286 to now 267 is this normal? Am I loosing weight too fast?

No, when you had your surgery, you were kept hydrated, and much of your

initial weight loss was just Water. Some fat, but mostly water. For pain, usually in your left shoulder, try a hot compress. It gives most people relief.

You may experience some depression and a little 'what have I done?'

That's normal. We all get it to a degree. Now is a time for healing, and

weight loss is secondary. Many people try to rush the healing process

and begin working out too early. That isn't a very good idea. This is

major surgery that you'll most likely have for the rest of your life, a few

more days won't make much difference. Most of the major programs

say to wait 6 weeks before lifting more than 10lbs., walking is fine,

as long as you don't overdo it. A mile or two, no marathons.

For your weight loss, I wouldn't try to lose more than 1-3lbs a week

averaged over a month or so. any more and you'll be losing muscle

and you don't want that. There are a bunch of weight loss trackers on

Google. "myfitness pal" is one of the most popular. It's going to be a lot

of work (I guess you knew that) but with a little dedication and a good

attitude, you'll do just fine. Good luck.

I had a similar post last week!

I'm 11 days post op now and am absolutely on the "what have I done!?" phase. I am mostly good but I have moments where I just want to cry. I made this decision for a healthy life with my family and I keep reminding myself of all the wonderful things I will enjoy that are not food related.

I was 282 pre-op and today am 265.

I would love to workout but I continue to remind myself that I am healing. I walk all day at work so for now that will have to be enough.

Yeah, I ha an episode Yesterday where I just cried and cried because I felt so sad and depressed but I'm feeling much better today! Going shopping right now! Thank you both for your support and post!

I had lap band on December 9th too. It was rough going for the first 3-4 days. It seemed that one problem would go away as another one popped up. 1st chest pains that lead to an ER visit to find that it was gastritis. 2nd was constant diarrhea. 3rd was having fevers. I'm still not 100%, I still get chest pains when I breathe in and lots of gas. Add to that the watching other people eat these amazing foods. I know this is a choice I made for me and I would never go back, it is just so hard sometimes.

Anyone have gas pains on day 8? I thought it was suppose to be over. Dear God give me patience.

weight.png

Val, I know what you mean! I see my husband eating delious foods and I want to tackle him for it! Lol. As for the gas pains I still have them too just not as bad, after walking around Macys yesterday for 3 hours I woke up feeling much better! The key is to walk walk walk!!!

Good luck!!

I was banded December 9th also, and by Monday I had my first meltdown. Going from 39 years of eating what I wanted, when I wanted, and how I wanted to a few sips of liquid, a couple spoonfuls of broth and diet Jello for an entire week was rough . I did have very bad gas the first few days but the nurse told me to try some chewable Gas X and to walk a little and that did get the old trumpet to blowing!! :-)

I still have pain when I hiccup and an awful pain in my left shoulder that seems to deepen when I breathe in but otherwise each day has gotten easier and easier with much prayer and dedication and I truly thank God! I am down 11lbs so far. Just think how much healthier we will be and how great we are all going to look on the beach next summer!

Yeah I have the pain also when I hiccup, I hate it! My doctor is keeping me on liquids until my first post op doctors visit...So thats a grand total of 10 days of agony!! I swear I will never look at Jello and broth the same way...yuuuuck! Today I am 20 pounds down!

Okay, so I had my surgery on December the 9th the first few days I was pretty bad. The following day after surgery I went back to the hospital because i literally felt that I was going to faint! Anyways they kept me over night and was released the next day each day I feel better and better which I am so greatful for!

Sometimes I get painful pain on my top left abdomen when I get hiccups, but like I said each day os better!

So Here I am more than a week post op and I am down 19 pounds! Starting from 286 to now 267 is this normal? Am I loosing weight too fast?

I also started at 286 and have my first post op this coming Thursday. Woohoo!!! My surgery date was 12/12/11.

Hope each day is better for you,

Jacki

I hope by the time I go back to school on Jan 3rd I will be down 20 pounds and when people ask how I made it through Christmas and didn't gain weight Iam just going to say " I get by with a little help from my friends :-)"

Ok so it's good to know that the hiccup pain is not just me. I was getting ready to go to the ER until I read this thread. Today, I'm a week post op and the gas in my core has subsided, but now I'm feeling gassy in my belly. I guess I will start the Gas-X treatment as it seems to work for everyone else here. Is this going to be a permanent thing (Needing Gas-X)?

I'm also noticing pain when taking deep breaths and also pain with an uncomfortable reflex in my esophagus every now and then. It almost feels like indigestion but without the burn. I'm wondering how this is happening since I've only been drinking Protein shakes, Water and powdered Soups.

Ok so it's good to know that the hiccup pain is not just me. I was getting ready to go to the ER until I read this thread. Today, I'm a week post op and the gas in my core has subsided, but now I'm feeling gassy in my belly. I guess I will start the Gas-X treatment as it seems to work for everyone else here. Is this going to be a permanent thing (Needing Gas-X)?

I'm also noticing pain when taking deep breaths and also pain with an uncomfortable reflex in my esophagus every now and then. It almost feels like indigestion but without the burn. I'm wondering how this is happening since I've only been drinking Protein shakes, Water and powdered Soups.< /p>

Perhaps the Protein Shakes are causing the gas in your stomach? Different brands/types use different forms of Protein and can have different effects (gas, bloating, etc).

Hoping each day is better than the one before!

Jacki

My surgery date was 12-16

First couple days tough do to massive dry heaving. Super sensitive to anesthesia.

Like everyone here I suffered from the shoulder pain. I dont know right from wrong and was up cooking for my family the evening following. On day 3 I walked a mile in the park. Getting outdoors again felt great. The initial shock of the clear liquid diet has now worn off. Yes I want to eat but have convinced myself there has to be a sacrifice somewhere in exchange for this reward. I have not weighed myself and don't plan too... My advice to everyone is walk walk walk!! I'm a believer in this choice and with the support of one another we can all be a success... Get moving! What have U got to lose???

I had my surgery on 12/9 as well. After the surgery, I was told by the doctor I could stay the night or go home. I work in a hospital and really wanted the security of having a profesional around at least for the first 24 hours while I was recovering. By 6am the next morning, I was up and walking around and ready to go home.

I did not experience should pain. Just a lot of tenderness in the abdomen from the incisions and a lot of bloating feeling. They are very right when they say walking helps relieve the pressure. I go for my first follow up visit tomorrow. I have not started a walking exercise routine, but I feel like I am ready. I am no longer on Clear liquids and have graduated to full liquids. (It is amazing what you can blend in a blender.) I have started experiencing hunger again, but if I make sure I have 3 healthy liquid meal choices a day, then it is not so bad. Drinking plenty of fluids between meals seems to help as well.

I too do not know what I have lost. I do know that my clothes are already starting to loosen and everyone comments they can see the weight loss in my face.

Yes, it makes me a bit sad when I see a delicious french fry and I can't eat it! However, the idea of not being around to see my 8 year old graduate from college someday makes me even sadder -- I am so glad I made this committment to myself and my family.

Keep up the good work - nice to know there is a support system out there for members of this club!laugh.png

Banded 12-8 and hit that OMG what have i done depressed stage.... I know that its the Holidays partly and the food and all the parties is what is killing me along with the liquid diet is the worst for me.. I had a meltdown and ate a few soft foods that i know i shouldnt of seeing as i am suppose to be on puree right now I also ate a cookie.( i did chew chew chew it ).. I know It was wrong and now i sit here depressed and thinking i probably ruined my band already.. I keep telling myself it was so wrong of me to eat what I did and that is why its midnight and i am sitting up online when i should be sleeping... :(