Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Lap Band Fill After 2 Months & Still Losing?

I have been banded since Oct 4, 2011. Yesterday I had my third surgeon follow-up appointment and I'm down each month around 6 - 8 pounds (since the surgery 20 lbs prior to surgery). I have not had a fill and I told him yesterday, shouldn't I need a fill? He said you are down almost 40 lbs since your initial visit so as long as you continue to lose, there is no reason for a fill.

I may be over thinking this all but for all you that have been "banded" a while, please help me understand????

I can eat everything!! I have heard people say you can't eat bread, Pasta, rice, popcorn, shrimp, etc. etc., (I've tried all items with no problems) I even drunk 1 soda this weekend ( however it was flat from months of sitting ) because I gave them up in July.

I don't know if it's because I don't have a "fill" that I don't have any issues. I've never had any "stuck" episodes. I can eat a 1 - 2 cups of food (an entire meal) and I just stop when I feel full. I don't have any "excessive hunger" I don't drink when I eat; at times I almost want to push the limit to see if this 'band" really works. I know this may sound "crazy" am I looking for "complications" this losing and not having any "side affects" seems to good to be true.

Can this continue? Losing weight without a fill? Maybe I'm doing something right along with the band by watching what I take in and doing my exercise 4x weekly, maybe I should't question anything and just enjoy how my body is changing.. I just want to know from those that have been banded, Does just having the "band" alone seriously give you restriction without a "fill" how does this device really work? OR IS IT A COMBINATION OF THE PHYSICAL DEVICE & MY MENTAL DESIRE TO BE SUCCESSFUL?

i COULD JUST BE OVER ANALYZING THIS AND IT'S OK TO SAY THAT IN YOUR REPLIES,

Thanks Fellow Bandsters..

I understand that everyone's journey is different, but I have been banded since October 2009 and have had only 2 fills. One in November 2009 and one in January 2010. There is only 3.5 cc in my band. I have lost 152 pounds with 10 pounds to go to reach my goal. I still have very good restriction.

I think that if you go to your doctor regularly and follow a plan that is good for you, don't worry everything will be fine.

Not everyone needs a fill. As long as your losing weight you are fine. I lost 14 pounds the first month after being banded and I still got a fill. I wasnt too happy about that since I didnt think I needed one. You are very lucky not to need one!

I was banded Jun 30th and have had 2 fills. My surgeon included 1.5 cc's in my band during surgery, so I'm sure you probably have a little in yours. I too can eat anything I want and really have to watch what I eat. Weight loss is getting slower and slower, so I would suggest just keep doing what you're doing because eventually I'm sure it will start slowing down.

If you're losing and not in a place where you feel like you're starving all the time. There is no need to get one. A fill is not going to make you lose weight. I have been banded almost a year and have one tiny fill ( which I would get removed if I had the guts to ask my doc...lol) I'm losing and while I'm not near the so called green zone I'm happy with where I am and how I'm losing.

Also why would you want to feel some of the side effects? I've never been stuck, nor do I want to, I hear it's really painful. I have had a couple instances where my food was way to big and I swallowed and I felt it kind of painfully go down my esophagus slowly and that was painful,, though I don't believe it was stuck. If that happens I take a few sips of Water to push it down and it clears up, so I don't believe I was stuck. I've never truly PB'd. I don't want to ever experience the uncomfortableness of being to tight.

I've been band since 9/21/2010. My weight lose was very slow in the beginning and I've been able to eat pretty much anything in moderation. My last fill was in 2/2011. In 4/2011 was when I had a big weight loss and continued to lose up until recently. I've been at a stand still. Right before thanksgiving my band became extremely tight I was waking up coughing every night and I was having difficulty eating. Well from Feb my band adjusted and became too tight. I recently had an infill, I was 6.8 and now back to 6.5. I asked the Dr why did it take so long to adjust like that , he said it could've been different things. Since my tight band and adjustment I have still been losing, I'm ok with that.

(null)

Great Question,!!!!

I have been wondering the same thing, WELL .....i have only been banded since December 1st 2011

and the first few days after surgery i had no hunger whatsoever, but I still did my chicken broth and crystal light, and my Protein shakes, and sugar free Jello and pudding

Now I am doing Soup in the blender, grits, oatmeal, Jello, puddind and my Protein Shakes.

My day is this:

MORNING: Protein shake blended with a sugar free chocolate pudding for flavor (GREAT)

Water

AFTERNOON: 1 pack of instnat Grits

Water

EVENING: Mashed Potatoes......Crystal Light or Water

The day of surgery I was 215 now I am 207....Im thinking I should have lost more, what do you guys think ....Oh my Dr. also said he did not put anything in my band during surgery

It is so hard because everybody (and our Dr's) are so different and we will all lose weight differently.

I lost very very quickly. My first fill wasn't until 12 weeks, but by then, I had lost probably 50 pounds.

Like the others have said, if you are consistently losing, there is no need for a fill because being too tight is not something that you want to experience. My second fill, I got because I just felt like I needed one, not for any reason really. Well, I got one and I was MISERABLE and ended up getting it removed after about 6 weeks. But those 6 weeks, I was trying to make the fill work for me, however, not being able to eat, throwing up and just being plain miserable isn't the way to live.

I have had a fill since that one was removed in May. I'm currently about 9 pounds from goal but there is not any need to have a fill even though I'm sure it would make me hit my goal sooner, especially since I've been somewhat plateaued for a few months but it just isn't worth it.

So, don't get a fill because you are in a hurry to lose. As much as we don't want to believe, our Dr's generally know what is best, lol, or at least we hope, right?

I am almost 6 months out and still do not have a fill. I also can eat whatever I want, but I choose not to. I am down almost 90 pounds and have not one cc in my band. If you are losing, no need to get a fill. I go to my surgeon every 2 months, but each time they tell me that if I want a fill to just give them a call. I am happy right now without it and I am dropping pounds, so until I start gaining or am hungry in between meals, I will stick with no fluid!

<p> </p>

<p>Your band is working fine at the moment - why try fixing something that isn't broken?</p>

<div> </div>

Thanks to all my lady "Bandsters" that replied, that's why I love this site its so enlightening. The "Band" definitely affects each of our bodies differently.

There was one reply that said I may have some Fluid in my band already, however I know Dr Gibson doesn't put any fluid in the band he inserts it is the "Lap Band" brand name one. As I read responses that have shown people do lose without a "fill" I'm going to not continue to "over think" this. I am counting myself lucky that I'm continuing to lose without a fill and enjoy eating what I want in the smaller amounts, while at the same time ensuring I'm not going back to foods laden with fats & sugar. Through the responses and issues that can possibly arise from "fills" I will from this day forward "Respect the Band" as it is working for me without a fill for the past two months and hopefully that can continue for many many more months.

I thoroughly appreciate you taking the time to respond, it truly helped me look at things in the right perspective.

With many regards

"Cynsayshun"

Im starting to wonder if I need another fill as well. I got banded on 10/27 and until my first fill was pretty hungry mostly. At first, I didn't think I had good restriction after my fill. But, after reading these stories on LBT about people in pain, vomiting, pbing, getting stuck, etc. and the fact that ive never had any of this happen, im losing steadily, eating small amounts until satisfied, and don't seem hungry between meals, im not sure I want another fill. I, too, can have pizza, bread, beer (yay), and haven't had any experience with something not being tolerated. Now, that's not to say I eat this often, but I have tried it, and I was fine. I chew chew chew until the food disintegrates in my mouth.

hi i am really confused if you are all loosing weight without a fill then what was the point of getting banded? i had the lap band dec 2nd and have had no fills and lost only 6 ibs s i am waiting to get filled so i can start to see some actual weight loss

Gizmo, I got the Lap Band to lose weight, as you read in my post, I am losing weight. If you review the other posts it appears the band itself gives some restriction and it for now is enough as I don't over eat. My hunger is satisfied on much smaller amounts than I was prior to getting the Lap Band. Did you see the comments of those that have been banded over a year without fills. It appears, some people don't require them, hopefully I will be one of those people for a long time, as you will see, fills can bring about other types of issues, that I would rather avoid. I asked the question because I wonder how it was working without me having a fill..As my surgeon stated the band along with my proper eating is working together..I am happy with a 24 lb loss in 2 months since the surgery and 14 lbs loss prior to during my 2 week liquids only pre-op diet..Best of luck on your journey..I'm learning everyone's journey is different..

hi i am really confused if you are all loosing weight without a fill then what was the point of getting banded? i had the lap band dec 2nd and have had no fills and lost only 6 ibs s i am waiting to get filled so i can start to see some actual weight loss

Gizmo, a fill is not going to make you lose weight, a fill will help control your hunger (eventually). Sometimes your hunger is controlled (or in my case was controlled for 5 months and I just learned to change my ways making me not want or need a fill) and you don't need a fill. The way you eat post banding determines your weight loss. You have to question before you start getting fills if you are hungry.