Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress Causing Lap Band Restriction And Getting Stuck?

OK, strange things going on... please let me know if anyone has experienced anything like this. I was banded on Oct. 21st. I have done pretty well so far. I lost 30 lbs, but nothing in the past week (unfortunately I have hit a plateau and need my first fill desperately, which I am scheduled to get this afternoon). I have noticed a couple things with the band (for me). I have two little girls; a 3 years old, and 1 1/2 year old. I have difficulty eating around them, particularly in the morning! Between the crying, yelling, screaming, reaching for my food, hitting each other, and outright complaining, it causes me a great deal of anxiety, and I am not able to get my food down.

I have checked a couple of things. I thought at first maybe I was just eating fast to be done with meal so I could respond to them, but no... I am not eating fast. I thought maybe I was taking large bites, but nope, my bites are tiney tiny. I still wrech and throw up after about 5 or 6 bites, and then I can't eat. This usually happens in the morning, and it is ALWAYS when the girls are giving me a hard time. I have started drinking the Protein shakes in the morning (usually on the weekends, since that is when I am always with them).

Has anyone experiences difficulty with restriction due to frustration or anxiety? I am trying to figure it out, but it's tough since it's my kids :-) I can't just remove myself from it! lol. Any advice would be great! Thanks

I am always tight in the morning, most peoe are. Often people eat yougurt & drink warm fluids for Breakfast. I have a feeling it is this not stress.

I agree with Beth. That is exactly how I start my day. Hot Drinks help open up your band and yogurt is my favorite breakfast!

I concur. I am always, waaaayyyyyy tight in the am. I often wait till 10 or later to attempt my medications. HTH ( Oh, but I agree, stress can cause me to "forget" how to eat.) Most recently, a waitress came to our table to see if my food was ok. (I eat like a turtle!) I gulped down a partially chewed shrimp, and said yes, I was just taking my time. 3 minutes later, I was in the ladies room. Shoot.

!!! Wow. I had no idea that this could happen in the morning. I honestly thought it was because my kids were causing me some kind of anxiety or something! How funny. I also noticed that I tend to eat better when I eat Breakfast after 9:30 or 10am. I think I was always like this, but much moreso from the band. food goes down better.

Thank you guys

But if your kids are causing you so much stress in the morning shouldnt you do something to help them stop acting like that?

I can almost never eat solid food in the morning so I almost always start with a Protein shake...unfortunately after dinner my band seems wide open and I COULD snack all evening! Interestingly, my wedding ring is the same, super tight in the morning and falling off at night!

But all that being said, I have read several posts where people said stress makes them tight!

Yep ! Most patients are tighter in the Morning.

Stress is a big factor, on tightening you up. So try not to get to tense. "It can get miserable."

Also the weather can play into it. If we get a lot of Humidity. "pressure" You will feel tight until the weather passes.

That depends on how tight you are in the first place.

If your snug, then you might notice this also.