Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Days Post Lap Band Surgery And I'm Hungry

I was banded on Dec 1st and so far each day seems to get better. I'm currently on liquids, as of today I'm feeling hungry. Hunger pains, stomach growling. Is this normal? Can I eat some cream of wheat or pureed Soup? Something? I can't see myself on liquids for 2wks.

What do your post op directions say? My post-op directions allow me to eat anything that can be taken through a large straw or poured from a pitcher. Cream of Wheat is allowed, as long as it is thinned and not thick. This is an area that varies with each doctor as well though, so I can't say that your doctor agrees with mine.

I was banded on Dec 1st and so far each day seems to get better. I'm currently on liquids, as of today I'm feeling hungry. Hunger pains, stomach growling. Is this normal? Can I eat some cream of wheat or pureed Soup? Something? I can't see myself on liquids for 2wks.

It is real important during the healing process that you follow your doctor's instructions. If you're hungry, add more Protein Shakes. I used to blend a tbsp of LF Peanut Butter into my Protein Shake when I was hungry. It added Protein and had a creamy satisifying taste. Also, blending your shakes with low fat milk or soy milk, instead of just Water, helps.

My surgery was on 11/30 and I've been following the Doctor's instructions of Clear Liquids and to start Protein Drinks on day 4.

It is not so much feeling hungry because after I eat or (drink) LOL my meals and I fill full for about 2 hours then go to the bathroom repeatedly. Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do? this is getting quite annoying!!!

I would really follow your post op instructions. Each doctor is different but I wouldn't try anything off your plan. Be lucky you only have two weeks on liquid I was 2weeks pre op and 4 weeks post op liquid diet. That's right 6 weeks total! I had my surgery May 3rd and its been great! Keep up the good work!

I was banded on Dec. 2nd. I've had Tomato Soup, cream of chicken Soup and potato soup. I blended them and thinned the down, but the doctor said I could have them, and I've really enjoyed eating something other than Protein Shakes. Although the thing that made my Protein shakes okay, is i blended it with caffeine free coffee and little bit of milk and it kind of tastes like a latte. Eating or hunger isn't a problem. My problem is sitting down and getting up because of the pain. I had a hiatal hernia that was repaired also. I also have GAD so my blood pressure has been sky high. Good luck to you. I know all doctor orders are different, but if the Soups work for me, why wouldn't they work for you?

Thanks y'all. I called the Dr. and was told its normal for me to feel hungry. Friday I will start on Protein Shakes, since its more fulfilling. So no cream of wheat or pureed Soups for me right now. Other than that I feel good 4 days after surgery.

I truly understand....as I was banded on 11-22, and I too was hungry by the 3rd-4th day. My surgeon also allowed anything that could fit through a straw...so I could have pudding, runny oat meal, plain yogurt, and pureed soup...which I was doing in addition to the protien drinks. I emailed my nutritionist and she upgraded me to soft foods by day 5. It really helped. I think I an getting used to it now. I have lost 17 lbs! But I do suggest that you stick to the plan that your surgeon has recommended. Good Luck and it gets easier!!!

Congrats!

I was banded on Nov 17th and the first few days of eating are hard but if you can just wait one more day or so , you should be able to start having some creamed Soups. That is atleast what my Dr told me . If you can have that it does make it better. It sounds like you are doing a great job so far. Are you in alot of pain? I am not recovering very well and was just curious to ask someone else. Good Luck and hang in there, the food part gets better!

Carol

Ktandnoahsmom:

No I'm not in much pain anymore. It's just really sore where I assume its the port site. Today I went out since surgery, to a few stores and the walking seems to help. Each day it gets better.

Hi, I got my band in on the 1st, not feeling any hunger, lots of rumbling gas, a title pain when but not enough for a pain killer, I do feel pressure on my chest, when I get up or after drinking,

I'm getting lots of headaches and back aches taking liquid paracetamol 1g

Eating Soups (lentil Soup in a mixer and then strained), liquid yogurt , and (Dutch crisp bakes Van der Meulen) the same ones I got at the hospital the day after the op, anyone thats had there op with Chris de Bruyne will know them.

Hoping I don't feel hunger, the fear of something ripping inside keeps me on track