Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reasonable Lap Band Restriction

I still eat sushi and toast. And I have no problem eating chicken breast or any other meats or anything.

I've gotten slightly stuck on chicken once, but that was when I was stupidly trying to have leftover chicken schnitzel in the morning. eek.gif I've also gotten stuck on a hash brown, also in the morning. Only took a couple of mistakes before I realised that Breakfast had to be some kind of combination of coffee/tea/protein shake/fruit and nut smoothie, and not chicken or potato!

Oh, and while normally if I'm going to have bread it's multigrain toast, I do sometimes get a sandwich when out for lunch - two slices of white bread, and I haven't had anything close to getting stuck with that.

Once you have good restriction, you should be able to only eat 1/2 cup of total food per meal. Your entire meal should be squished into a half-cup measure. So in order for that to happen, you need to fill your tiny plate with high Protein foods. Once you have the protein covered, then add tiny amounts of fruits/veggies/carbs if you can handle them.

I'm not at green zone yet but eat between 1/2 cup to 1 cup total per meal. When I make my lunch for work, I measure / weigh everything. If I'm taking Soup, I put 6-8 oz in my container and that's it. (usually a high protein soup)

If its tuna or chicken salad, 4 oz plus maybe a few crackers or pita crisps and baby carrot sticks. . Can't handle soft bread but can sometimes eat toasted bread.

Your food needs to be able to keep you full and satisfied for more than 3 hours.

I watched dr obriens video again last night with the 8 golden rules for weight loss with the band and all of the above are part of those rules.

Good luck!

What is that Video? i would like to watch it !! Also i eat more then that =( i eat about 4/6 oz of veggies and 4/6 oz of protien

Once you have good restriction, you should be able to only eat 1/2 cup of total food per meal. Your entire meal should be squished into a half-cup measure. So in order for that to happen, you need to fill your tiny plate with high Protein foods. Once you have the protein covered, then add tiny amounts of fruits/veggies/carbs if you can handle them. I'm not at green zone yet but eat between 1/2 cup to 1 cup total per meal. When I make my lunch for work, I measure / weigh everything. If I'm taking Soup, I put 6-8 oz in my container and that's it. (usually a high protein soup) If its tuna or chicken salad, 4 oz plus maybe a few crackers or pita crisps and baby carrot sticks. . Can't handle soft bread but can sometimes eat toasted bread. Your food needs to be able to keep you full and satisfied for more than 3 hours. I watched dr obriens video again last night with the 8 golden rules for weight loss with the band and all of the above are part of those rules. Good luck!

I am definatley not at restriction! lol I can easily eat a whole cup+ of food at one sitting and become hungry within an hour or two. I've only had one fill and am not letting my no restriction halter my success. I'm hangin in there. @the topic starter - I've had one fill and can handle bread. I don't often, but I have no problems with anything thus far.

What is that Video? i would like to watch it !! Also i eat more then that =( i eat about 4/6 oz of veggies and 4/6 oz of protien

This is about what I eat at one sitting.

Melissa and Lollicatt,

I eat 4-6 oz Protein per meal and add fruit/veggies/carbs to that so in total I eat 1/2 to 1cup per lunch and dinner. Not close enough to what the video recommends but way way less than I did pre-banding.

The video I was referring to was given to me by True Results and it just reiterates Dr O'Briens 8 golden rules of lap band. I was also given the book by the same doctor. I will try this week to pull out the book and video and list the 8 rules and send them to you. They're short and supposed to be easy to understand.

It's good material to be reminded of every now and again. Things that I knew I should do but had either stopped or was slacking off. :)

According to the book "The Lap-Band Soultion, A Partnership for Weight Loss" by Dr. Paul O'Brien, MD (one of the lap-band originators)...

THE GOLDEN RULES OF EATING AND EXERCISING (Chapter 10)

1. Eat 3 or less small meals per day (you CAN eat less than 3!)

2. Do not eat anything between meals (not even fruit!)

3. Eat slowly and stop when no longer hungry (15-20 minutes per meal)

4. Focus on nutritious foods

5. Avoid calorie-containing liqiuds (water, tea, coffee, low-cal sodas as well as wine are OK)

6. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day

7. Be active throughout each day

8. Always keep in contact with your doctor

Remember that if your band is not correctly adjusted you will not be able to follow the rules.

I understand what you mean. At first I could eat anything but in a very small amount. Then I could eat too much and gained a couple of pounds. I then got a fill in October, lost a few pounds but now I can't hardly eat anything without problems no matter how small it is, how slow I eat, etc.. It has been horrible and I am not losing weight. I know now after being on this site that I need a slight unfill and then things should be better. I can't even eat healthy food easily and I don't think I am getting the Protein I need and not losing weight. So it doesn't have to be that way but you have to make sure you get it adjusted correctly.

I agree with the original post. I'm not banded yet I will be jan 30th. I feel the same way and if that means I'm slightly less filled then so be it. I do not want to be at the level of restriction where I eat 1 oz of Protein and a teaspoon of veggies and call it a meal. I want to be able to eat a 3oz portion of protein a few teaspoons of veggies and then if there's room a teaspoon or 2 of carbs. To me that is a healthy meal with feeling deprived. I also want to be able to eat a sushi roll and be satisfied.

I agree with the original post. I'm not banded yet I will be jan 30th. I feel the same way and if that means I'm slightly less filled then so be it. I do not want to be at the level of restriction where I eat 1 oz of Protein and a teaspoon of veggies and call it a meal. I want to be able to eat a 3oz portion of Protein a few teaspoons of veggies and then if there's room a teaspoon or 2 of carbs. To me that is a healthy meal with feeling deprived. I also want to be able to eat a sushi roll and be satisfied.

It's not that bad.

But in any event, that is why they don't give you a large fill all at once. They take it up in steps. Each time I had a fill there would be a discussion as wether I wanted what he was recommending. You always have the opportunity to decline stating you feel comfortable where you're at. Or take a smaller fill than he is recommending.

Good luck on the 30th. I was banded on the 31st last Jan. I really liked having surgery and healing in the dead of winter, then moving along as spring comes along.

I love apiece of toast for breakfadt. Wholegrain carbs are very nutritious and valable foods, white processed ones arent. There is abolutely no requirement o cut out carbs unless it appeals to you to do so. But it is true that you may find your bnoesnt lie them

It's interesting how you change as time goes by. The prospect of eating so little gets less and less scary as you go along. I just got my second fill yesterday - i'm up to 5.25 now. I'm on liquids and I have no desire to eat or drink or anything! I sat at a full table for dinner - fried stuff and all and was so un-interested in food. I mashed some potatoes last night for when I move to mashed foods tomorrow and of course i couldn't help it and took one spoonful - and it was really more than enough.

If I could get to a level of restriction where I feel like that all the time, I can imagine I won't even miss anything!

My doctor said not to expect a good restriction before 4 fills - so far I've felt very little restriction. The evil part of me says enjoy what you can eat while you can, and the good part of me is like comon, we've done this for a reason! Be good. So it's a balancing act at the moment, and definitely more will power than band. So Shap, i would keep my expectations minimal for the first few months. I thought i'd lose twice as much by now, but that was too ambitious. And the looming prospect of not being able to eat makes me panic and want to stuff myself while I still can...

What I am going to do with my doctor is plan my target meals and portions to something which is reasonable to both him and me. And i'll keep tightening till that target is satisfying.

I got a bit demotivated by the amount and type of food that people eat on this forum, it makes me feel inadequate because I am not willing to do what they do. But I am realizing now that this was probably a process for them and they slowly reached that stage where a Protein and veg meal is something they are happy with. And I think you and I will slowly change - we just can't see it yet.

P.S. Japanese people eat 8-12 sushi rolls for lunch or dinner and they are all skinny and healthy.

I understand what you mean. At first I could eat anything but in a very small amount. Then I could eat too much and gained a couple of pounds. I then got a fill in October, lost a few pounds but now I can't hardly eat anything without problems no matter how small it is, how slow I eat, etc.. It has been horrible and I am not losing weight. I know now after being on this site that I need a slight unfill and then things should be better. I can't even eat healthy food easily and I don't think I am getting the Protein I need and not losing weight. So it doesn't have to be that way but you have to make sure you get it adjusted correctly.

You really need to go in. Especially if you are vomiting (which you don't say), it could be a slip. Even if it isn't, you need to be able to eat and get some nutrition in. I've been overfilled, it is miserable. I could at least stay hydrated, but otherwise could not even eat yogurt. They don't have to remove all the fill, just a bit. Then you can refill at a later date.

It is not failure to get an unfill. It is just part of the treatment process of being banded.

I find a slice of toast and a poached egg is great, on the weekends, I have more time to eat it and relax, so it doesn't get stuck. Week days it's normally a Cereal bar as that's all I can manage to get down. I eat Pasta, sushi and most foods as normal. I find if I'm out I veer for fish as it goes down easy. I have a hard time with pork chops, rice(seems to get stuck) and probably a few other things but I can't remember. I'm sure I eat way more than half a cup, more like a child portion, half a cup seems way too small to me. I find in the mornings I'm not as hungry but can fit more into me in the evening, so it balances its self out.

I'm half way through my weight lose and hope to get it off me by the summer. It's slow but I'm losing ever week and couldn't believe over the Xmas I put on a pound( lost it the week later) , it's normally a stone!!!! ( Xmas in Ireland lasts about 2 weeks)

The important thing for me is to be able to enjoy life but doing it in smaller doeses!!! I have noticed I'm no longer that interested in food, sometimes I think I'm in a dream!!!!!

Loving my band xxx enjoy what you want, a few carbs a day will do you no harm x