Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying To Find My Way Back

I am 2 year post op I lost 70lbs and gained 30 back. I work full time and recently started back at school so I don't have much time to workout like I was. And my diet is all over the place. Has anyone else has this issue? If so how did you get back on track.

I think I would start with Protein Drinks again and going to a support group - because there will be others that have either been through, or are going through what you are. I know you're very busy now, but you need to make a little time in there for you. You cared enough about yourself to be banded in the first place, care about yourself now. I'm rooting for you. Please keep us all posted, but please go to a support group.

Me me me!!! Been banded 5 yrs. lost 110, gained back 30! Just got a new fill and looking for support. I'm a band expert.......but I know how to out eat it and eat and eat around it. I made sure this last fill was Tight enuf To make me drink Protein Shakes in the AM, Soup for lunc'H and soft Proteins at night. bread and rice r out of the question!! But I struggle with this EVERYDAY. Nice to know I'm not alone :-)

I can relate to your struggle. I am also 2 years out, lost 125, gained back 30. I decided Friday after Thanksgiving that I had to catch this before it went any further- I DO NOT WANT TO BE THAT FAT PERSON EVER AGAIN!

I have been on liquids (protein shakes and yogurt) since Saturday and I feel so much better. My body didn't like all that sugar that I was dumping into it. I already feel healthier, more alert, and back on track!

Also- my counselor specializes in eating disorders and hypnosis. Tuesday, for the first time, I was hypnotized. I have since listened to the recording 2-3 times a day, and the message is staying in my head. I have the ability to choose. I can choose healthy, low-fat, low-calorie foods. I can choose to stay positive. I can choose to take care of myself so that I can be the healthy, happy, attractive person that I want to be.

It's never too late to get back on track. If we try to stay focused, and make the right choices, WE CAN DO IT! Good luck fellow bandsters!!! (phew! I hope I can stick with this!!!)

There is a routine called "The 5 day pouch test" , look in the search box here or on Google. A number of people

here have tried it and had some success with it, It's free and an easy way to get started again.

OMG. We have so much in common. I just went under hypnosis for the first time yesterday! She gave me a recording to listen to. I'm seeing her weekly for 6 weeks to help get a handle on this. So happy to know there r others just like me.....

Thank you all!! I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this feeling. I actally have an appt in the AM and I'm hoping for a fill and possibly a meeting with the nutritionist. I did read about that 5 day pouch test I may need to try it. I'm also curious about the hypnosis did you guys find it helpful?

I am in the same boat as above posters. 2 years out- lost 107, gained back about 25. This week is going great so far. I got back to basics- journaling, making the right food choices and working out. I've lost 4 pounds so far. I agree that doing protien shakes for a couple days or so might help you get back on track. Kind of "cleanse the system". Good luck, you can do it!

I think the hypnosis is helping me. I don't know what it's supposed to do in this amount of time, but I've been listening to my recording two - three times a day. Yesterday I wanted to munch after work (I was hungry), but instead I laid down with my headphones and when I was done, eating was the furthest from my mind. Next week she'll do another hypnosis to continue working on my food struggles. And the best part of it is- it's covered by my insurance since she is a licensed counselor!

This is so helpful. I have been post op for 2-1/2 years and have gained 20 lbs back. I decided to look for some help instead of just beating myself up. Am on liquids for a couple of days and then back to the gym. Thanks for helping me realize I am not alone.

I also am 2 1/2 years banded and gained back 15 pounds recently, despite being quite tight. I fell into a bit of a depressed state because of this and began to feel I was a failure at this, like it just didnt work like I had hoped. But I've been reading a lot of books on emotional eating and lap band surgery and I have hope that if I use my band the way it was intended, I can reach my goal of 150 lbs. I find the more frequently I eat (snacking on popcorn, crackers or cookies) the more food I can pass through the band at meal times on any given day. However, when I only eat 3 very small healthy meals a day, I have quite a bit of restriction. I know this doesn't make logical sense, but it has been my experience. Can anyone else relate?

I also am 2 1/2 years banded and gained back 15 pounds recently, despite being quite tight. I fell into a bit of a depressed state because of this and began to feel I was a failure at this, like it just didnt work like I had hoped. But I've been reading a lot of books on emotional eating and lap band surgery and I have hope that if I use my band the way it was intended, I can reach my goal of 150 lbs. I find the more frequently I eat (snacking on popcorn, crackers or cookies) the more food I can pass through the band at meal times on any given day. However, when I only eat 3 very small healthy meals a day, I have quite a bit of restriction. I know this doesn't make logical sense, but it has been my experience. Can anyone else relate?

I can absolutely relate to what you are saying. Over the holidays there was so much snack food available (we were visiting with our son and DIL) and the more I took a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I could just keep eating more and more. I thought to myself that I will have to go for my first fill because I am feeling hungry and able to eat more...but when we got home I went back to my normal 3 very small healthy meals and within a few days I was feeling the restriction again and completely satisfied with what I was eating and had no desire to eat more. It made me realize that if I use my tool the right way I am going to have success. Snacking/grazing will never work for me or my band.

Was just thinking about the holidays and I believe it may have been that eating the "sweets" set off my sugar addiction and that is probably what caused me to want to eat more, not feeling satisfied.....Deja Vu for me

Edited by hopefloats

So glad to find this post because I am also over 2 years out with my band and lost 65 pounds the first year and then put on 30 pounds the next year. I am really struggling, but like the suggestions here. I have a terrible addiction to sweets which seem to go down just fine with the band so I know my weight gain is due to too many calories in and little to no exercise. It is time I get back in control and like the idea of going back to the shakes. Thanks so much for the advice. I should have come on here a long time ago. It is nice to know that I am not the only one struggling.

Go to myfitnesspal.com its free. You can journal your stuff on the internet.

Keep track of all your calories, Protein, exercise, and more. Everything that you put in stays in Memory and is accessible.

I am Losingintime there, so look me up.

Sosososososooooo happy i found this thread. I am a little over 2 years post-op and have fallen off track a lot in the past year-ish and have had issues with the band being too tight and gaining weight, I know, gaining weight with the band too tight doesn't make much sense, but its hard to explain. But im actually going in to see my doctor tomorrow to get it opened up and let my stomach heal and start this whole process over again. Happy to know I'm not alone.