Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sinus Drainage After Lap Band Surgery ?

Just a question, but does anyone else have a problem with sinus drainage and throwing up? I was banded 10/21/11 and had my first fill on the 18th. The last few days I have had sinus drainage and can not keep anything down and when I throw up it is the food I have just eaten and lots of mucus. Does anyone else have a problem or had a problem like this before?

Thansk

I have had the same problem since being banded. Not throwing up, but coming close. And lots and lots of mucus. My primary care physician has me on nasonex, which has helped some.

So, I've been banded 5 years. I know it all.....if ur nose is running, STOP eating. It's one of the body's defense mechanisms. It happens when u r stuck as a result of being too tight or not chewing well. If u keep throwing up, go back to liquids and soft foods for a day or two. No solid food for 2 days. Give it a chance to heal and let swelling go down.After this eat slowly and chew chew chew before u swallow. It takes a lot of getting used to. Feel free to message me any time. I'm an expert :)

awww it's horrible this time of year! I had sinus issues before being banded but since my last fill it's worse. I called to schedule an unfill but I think I am going to stick through it and hopefully this medicine helps. I didn't get any sleep last night from blowing my nose! Good luck!

Yep I just got over this Mucus problem, and sinus drainage down the back of my throat.. I take a sinus pill for it. and Water helps thin out the secretions. It can be a sign of being to tight also.

I had to go in for a slight unfil, so that flem could o down. On occasion, I still find my sinus draining, and I take a small pill for it. Crush yours if you have to, and put it in S. F. pudding.

Stay on liquids for 3 days, then try mushies. I stayed on mushies because regular food wood get stuck to often.

If after say 2 weeks, this has not cleared, and you can eat, then call your Dr. for a slight unfill.

Also warm tea or Soup help cut the secretions some.

Shirley.

I am so interested to see your posts!

I have had crazy allergies, sinus drainage off and on since banded. In the spring it was awful, I frequently got too tight, vomited, needed deflates. Now in the fall it's been awful again. I cough all night, have been to an allergist and yes I have severe allergies to weeds and trees. Now that it has frozen where I live I am still congested, draining and coughing away. I had a steroid injection on Tuesday, Kenalog I think, it has helped minimally. My band is currently empty because it slipped. I will have surgery on Thursday to reposition it and repair a hiatal hernia that reoccured. I have been wondering why I am draining constantly! Even with my band completely empty I have restriction.

Joan

I understand that you want your band fixed ! Are you sure you want to go threw this with the problems you are having now ? Even the coughing all night is not a good thing...

Could you not wait a couple of weeks until this calms down ? Or do you think that the slippage is the problem ?

I would talk to my surgeon, and see what he thinks. "It's just a thought."

Ask your Surgeon will fixing the slippage stop the coughing ?

Because once they fix you with all new surgery,,, I sure hope your not still coughing.....

I wish you Good Health, Shirley.

Hi, size10! I, also, have some restriction when I'm empty. But not enough to keep me from eating a hamburger or bread. If I am without Fluid, I dangerous. If there is a way to out eat my band, I will, and I have. So I'm forced to b tight so that I can't get bad foods down, but that also means I can't always get good foods down. Such is life I must choose my battles wisely :-)

Perhaps the constant sinus drainage is due to ur body over reacting to ur band and treating it as a foreign invader? I know most everyones nose runs a lot when we get stuck......maybe it's ur body's way of trying to rid itself of ur band ci it doesn't like it??? Just a thought. ASK UR DOC :-)

I understand that you want your band fixed ! Are you sure you want to go threw this with the problems you are having now ? Even the coughing all night is not a good thing...

Could you not wait a couple of weeks until this calms down ? Or do you think that the slippage is the problem ?

I would talk to my surgeon, and see what he thinks. "It's just a thought."

Ask your Surgeon will fixing the slippage stop the coughing ?

Because once they fix you with all new surgery,,, I sure hope your not still coughing.....

I wish you Good Health, Shirley.

This has been going on for a couple months and I am hoping that fixing the hiatal hernia and repostioning the band will help greatly. My surgeon never felt the coughing was due to anything other than allergies. Only after seeing this thread did a light bulb go off for me! My band has been empty since October 3rd. I really need things fixed up in there so I can eat better and feel better.

Hi, size10! I, also, have some restriction when I'm empty. But not enough to keep me from eating a hamburger or bread. If I am without Fluid, I dangerous. If there is a way to out eat my band, I will, and I have. So I'm forced to b tight so that I can't get bad foods down, but that also means I can't always get good foods down. Such is life I must choose my battles wisely :-)

Perhaps the constant sinus drainage is due to ur body over reacting to ur band and treating it as a foreign invader? I know most everyones nose runs a lot when we get stuck......maybe it's ur body's way of trying to rid itself of ur band ci it doesn't like it??? Just a thought. ASK UR DOC :-)

The restriction while my band is empty is due to the hiatal hernia or slipped band position I guess since I have been almost empty before and was HUNGRY! I asked my surgeon if he thought my allergies could be from an allergic reaction to the band and he said "no", but that my getting stuck so much, nasal drainage and subsequent slippage could be from allergies and coughing.

Joan

I wish you only the best.

Shirley.