Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Your Advice about Lap Band Fill ?

Im 3 weeks post op and have lost 18 pounds and I feel good about the results. I rarely feel hungry and usually eat just to get my calories in. For the moment I live in Europe and its been easier for me to not gain any weight since I've lived over here the last 4 months because of the different style of cooking here. Well in December I will be visiting the states to see my family and my mother is already preparing all my favorite Southern foods for my arrival. I'm scared of gaining weight but I want to enjoy myself on Christmas and the New Years. BTW I haven't told any of my family that I been banded, only my husband knows and I prefer to keep it private. Would you suggest that I get a fill before I go home or that I take the risk and see if I can maintain the way I have been eating thus far?

Well I'm in the same boat as you the only ones that know are my hubby, oldest daughter and my inlaws that I have been banded. I was banded Nov 8th down 25lbs went to my parents for thanksgiving it was tricky but this is what I told them which was not a lie. I met with a dietician and she put me on a really stick eatting plan since my weight had gotten out of control and I was concerned over heatlh issues arrising. I have to eat very slowly, small bites and chew really good so when it came to putting food on my plate it looked nothing like it use too.

I have about 2 tablespoons of turkey, about 10 green Beans and 2 sweet potatoes everything I could mash up my wonderful husband told my parents I have done awesome since I have started eatting this way and I've lost 25lbs already. My dad offered me soda and I had to tell him no I can't have soda right now, he offered me peanuts, had to tell him no can't have those right now my dietician told me I could they are hard to digest. Oh the toughie was the bread my mom makes the best pumpkin bread ever and I use to eat 4 slices and then take some home and I PASSED on having it. Told them I have cut out all breads, you know we had a wonderful meal, great conversation it was a beautiful day.

So I didn't lie I did met with my dietican and she told me what to eat and how much, I just didn't tell them the whole truth and no one questioned me at all.. that's how I got through it I will have to do the same at christmas when all my family is here and kids are here for dinner. I just felt like I have come this far and I'm not going to blow it . I worked... Good Luck stay strong you can do this...

If you plan on enjoying the food ! Then I would wait.

I went through this on Thanksgiving. If someone asked, I just told everyone I was trying to loose weight. I found most people didn't even noticed the small salad plates I was using and small portion sizes. If I was pressed to have a special food, I would take it and then only have one bite. Once they went back to talking or offering the plate to others they stopped noticing me. That only happened once though (and you don't tell grandma no). I plan on doing that with other holiday parties coming up.

I have a question not trying to be rude or anything, because I respect the fact that its your decision in telling whoever you want to but, how come you don't want to tell anyone?

Personal preference for me.

@violet953 my family has a way of telling how to spend my money and about the things I dont need. They would also start begging me for money. I lost almost 100 pounds on my own without the band and they would get on my last nerve by telling me I dont need it.

I have not told hardly anyone. My husband daughter and 2 of my friends. I just dont want people to know. I think you would be ok to get a fill as the first few fills realy dont make a huge difference at least mine didnt. My Dr. sorta snuck up on my fills. I am wondering the same thing about getting one before the holiday. My band has been very fickle one day nothing gets stuck and the next it does. Hmmmm what to do. Good luck with your discision let us know how it goes for you.

i was banded 9/21/11 i have lost 40 pounds.. I have had a fill twice. i feel like i can eat more now.. havent lost since before Thanskgiving. i didnt over indulge except for some pie.. But Ive been doing everything right it seems. Im gettin my third fill on Saturday. i think i need to have more in my fill. does anyone had to ask for a few more CC's?

Actually, doesn't sound to me like you need a fill. You say you are rarely hungry and kinda force yourself to eat. As long as your not pbing alot or anything I think you are in a very good place. As far as concerns about eating different foods, I think your band will force you to eat carefullly and in small quantiites. I think you will be just fine. Enjoy the Holidays!