Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Were You Off Work After Lap Band Surgery?

Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new to this site but am finding it full of resources! I have a question. I have my surgery scheduled for 12/27/11. I am having the Lap Band with Plication. I am trying to plan regarding time off of work. I have an office job so no real exertion.

My main question is how long were you off of work?

I was off work for two weeks (one extra week, because of complications) and it was 1 month before I felt "normal" again. It's now 5 weeks since surgery and I feel great...just not very hungry. Good luck with your surgery.

I have an office job as well and I only took a week. Yesterday was my first day back. It was doable. I made it through the day although I started to drag the last part of it. I got a good nights rest last night (about 11 hours actually haha) and I feel really good today. However, I don't know if the plication would make it harder for you. I would suggest starting with a week but tell your coworkers that you may not be up to par when you come back and that if it gets really bad for you, you may have to leave early. Everyone where I work was okay with that. Good luck! :)

I was off from Thursday, went back on Tuesday.

I had my lap band surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on Tuesday. I hope your surgery goes well!

I had my surgery two weeks and still home, I am off for 3 weeks total. I feel better but not 100% yet. It gets better every day. Good luck with your surgery

I was off for two weeks. I could have gone back to work sooner, but my doctor's stated two weeks and my employer required me to take the time off or have a note clearing me to return to work. It was just easier to take the time and rest.

I was out 2 weeks. I had hiatial hernia repair too. Took me a good month to feel mostly normal again but I think getting back to work made the difference for me.

I was off work one week and the day I went back holy cow I was exhausted by noon and i have a desk job. If you can take an extra week off I would recommend it your body is trying to adjust and from not eating a whole lot of food you do get exhausted easily. I'm three weeks post op and I just went back to the gym last night and I could only walk 1 mile on the treadmill so give yourself some time if you can.

I have an office job also, and my doctor is still telling me 4-6 weeks, but I may be able to go back after 2 wks if I feel ok. I don't understand why a such big discrepancy in the time off.

I have a physical job. On my feet 10 hour shifts. Bending, lifting (only let myself lift up to 20 lb til 3.5 weeks post op). I'm an LVT. I took one week off, but felt I could've gone back by day 5

It just depends are you threshold for pain and if you are active now or not. I wasn't an active person and have a full time desk job so it took me longer to bounce back!

Surgery on Wednesday back to Work on Monday.. Office Job.. No problem.. I was a little tired for about a week..

I think that the amount of time off you take depends on several factors: what type of job do you do? How active were you before surgery? Your age? How much overweight are you? You don't have to actually answer these questions on the forum but it's something to think about.

I think all these variables factor in to recovery time. I had knee arthroscopy 4 weeks before my lap band to remove a torn meniscus and to clean some arthritis from under my knee cap. I know that it took me longer to feel like myself because of the back to back surgeries. And I am 55, not 35. I also didnt know he was going to have to scrape and debride my knee cap like he did so all of that affected my ability to get moving quickly

So, try to plan as best you can, based on your personal situation. Everyone is different. I went back to work as a nurse in 12 days and it was too soon.

Good luck!!!

I agree with you poodlelover56. I took 2 weeks off but I could have used more time just because I was zapped of energy!