Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help... Newbie And Scared

Ok so I had surgery on the 17th and weighed 195 lbs and 5'6 so not extremely big but I struggle to keep my weight to that on a day to day basis struggle.. Well, here's the problem I am thinking the surgery didn't work or something because I cam eat JUST FINE... Its not even two weeks wtc I'm suppose to still be on a soft food diet and I'm eating whatever I want and can eat quite a damn bit :( am I just a failure or what??????

Let me get something correct.. I am not eating whatever really it's just eating like grilled chicken and steamed broccoli and more healthy stuff but eating it with no problems at all and feel no restrictions... I am not even released to solids but truly thought I was starving myself and extremely weak and irritable so I just called and told them and they released me to mashed potatoes And it just went from there...I'm NOT messing up the band or amount of stomach pouch left or anything like that from eating am I???

When you first have the surgery, the band is put into place but it is not filled to allow for the swelling to go down. The reason they put you on those diets is to prepare you for what is to come when you have your band filled. I would recommend to follow the doctors suggested diet closely so you can prepare for what it will be in a few weeks. I didn't get my first fill until 6 weeks after surgery.

I was under the impression that the diet is so important to make it to where you won't vomit.. Cause very important not to vomit.. Well I can eat just fine and trust me I'm NOT going to vomit so why can't I just eat small portions of solids as long as there healthy? Just can't quite figure out why it's so important to only drink liquids if my body can handle solids just fine. Not trying to be defiant just don't understand

Don't you have a doctor or a nutritionist for these answers? Personally if you aren't going to follow the rules given and change your habits you were never ready for this journey...You need to call your nutritionist right away and get on board with your doctor for these concerns....Good Luck to you!

Right.. I would call your nutritionist. They may say its fine since you're tolerating it.. But I don't know. Do you know how big of a band you had put in? Mine is an 11cc realize. I'm wondering if I'll be one of those lucky people that feels a little restriction once the swelling goes down. Unfortunately my doctor doesn't do the first fill until the 2 month checkup. It's going to be all on me for a while.

Good luck to you!

I'm sure you were given instructions to follow. It's your job now, to do

your job right !

Don't eat whatever you want, just to see if you can get it down or

whatever your reasoning is.

That's not your job ! Your job is to heal ! and give it all a chance to

un-swell, and heel.

Then to follow instructions.

In time, when you are tightened, and

throwing up, and swelling up. You

will wish you started practicing good eating habits with the band.

Yes ! Call your Dietician, and or Dr. and tell them what your doing, but

let them know how long you

have been banded.

Go to myfitnesspal.com and sign up its free ! you will see what other

people are eating, and how

to log your info in, it's all stored in memory, including your exercise.

Don't say What exercise?

Go on and check it out. I don't care if you can chew, and swallow wood !

Bottom line is don't do it !

Follow a plan, and do yourself some good, because you are not a

failure, your just off on the

wrong foot... That's a easy fix.

Well firtst off thanks for the website and Yes I do excercise bit it's not even been two weeks and the reasoning to the other lady for eating is because I am freaking starving.... I was still doing nothing but broth for 7 days when I was still very hungry like the sugary didn't work..and I lost 6 pounds on the Pre op diet cause I followed it to the T but they said after surgery I wouldn't be feeling these hungary pains.. And they are holding me off on solids of fear I'll vomit.. Well I havnt been nauseas ever and this broth and shakes are freaking rough when I know I can handle soft foods and there just saarrd I'll puke, so after mashed potatoes my body was phenin for some nutrition so I ate some more the next day along with steamed broccoli and I did fine... So you'll have to excuse me while next time I will take my questions to my nutritionist she has just been out for the holidays and didn't want to bother the dr cause I didn't feel it was an emergency by yes I already have my check up Monday so it will be a long day I'm sure...

You are given a post op diet for a reason. Your stomach churns and moves to digest food and that is why your on liquids so that you wont have your stomach working extra hard to digest the food. Secondly hunger wont kill you stop eating things your not supposed to or you wont do anything but fail. Your given post op instructions for a reason and if you dont want to follow them why did you have surgery. We were/are all still hungry but dont eat just because we are hungry. Have some constraint please. For God sake you can go a few days without food it wont kill you.

Your post really concerns me. Sanction is correct. The progression of liquids to soft Proteins to solids is extremely important for the healing process. Yes, you can absolutely mess up ypur band eating this way. You are no different from any newly banded. There is NO restriction in the beginning for any of us. All newly banded people COULD eat massive amounts of food, especially if their band is empty after surgery like mine was, but we don't! I was banded June 27th and just got restriction Nov. 3rd with my 4th fill! Up until now it's been pure will power and desire to make this work. Please meet with the nutritionist at your surgeon's office and start over doing the reccommended diet. You will be so happy you did as you begin seeing the results you expected! Best of luck to you!!!!

I was banded Nov. 8th and I can see where you are coming from. I read everyone's posts about their diets on here and my dr. gave me a slightly different one. I was progressed to food a lot quicker than most people that I have talked to on here. After one week I was on soft food and after 2 weeks I was allowed to move on to a bigger variety of food. I am following my doctors orders, but why are they different than the rest? I feel like I can eat more than I'm supposed to but I just fill up a half cup and when it's gone, I stop. Even though I'm still hungry. I think since my swelling has gone down I just need my first fill!

Shannonraeh that's what I did in the beginning and still do. I portion out the the reccommended amount of food on a plate and when I finished - that's it! I Walk away and guzzle lots of Water to stay full!!!! lol And remember it will take two to three fills to get restriction so hang in there!

I was banded six and half weeks ago had my first fill last wednesday. My doctor put me on a very strict no fat diet for three weeks before the band, but after the band, and before the first fill I was allowed, to eat anything, but to stay away from Pasta, rice, bread and beef, this is because they have a tendency to get "stuck" and cause a blockage. During the fill. which was meticulously done by the doctor, he asked me when I could feel "full" when the saline was going in and out of the band.....I answered straight down the line...thought we had reached the correct point. He had put in 3mls. Here I am 4 days down the line and I COULD eat almost anything...I can't feel the restriction at all! I am due to go back for a check up in 6 weeks time BUT he said during the procedure that if after 3 weeks or so I didn't feel restricted enough to make an appointment and he would see me again.

So I feel I'm in the same position as you in a way, and next wednesday if this isn't getting any better, (and I suspect it won't) I'm going to make an appointment for an increased fill. Will post how it goes.

@ Shannonreah... If my Dr had your plan I would be doing just perfect, but MG Dr doesnt release to soft foods until week 3 and then solids week 5...well, I had the shake thing down for a good month but then feel off the wagon cause they are NOT good to me.. Well, the ones he has me on anyway.. So I can't wait to talk to my dietitian and see what she says... And I am getting my first fill on the 5th which is rather quick considering I see most people wait till like week 6 or month 6..it will like be week 3-4 for me..

Your post really concerns me. Sanction is correct. The progression of liquids to soft Proteins to solids is extremely important for the healing process. Yes, you can absolutely mess up ypur band eating this way. You are no different from any newly banded. There is NO restriction in the beginning for any of us. All newly banded people COULD eat massive amounts of food, especially if their band is empty after surgery like mine was, but we don't! I was banded June 27th and just got restriction Nov. 3rd with my 4th fill! Up until now it's been pure will power and desire to make this work. Please meet with the nutritionist at your surgeon's office and start over doing the reccommended diet. You will be so happy you did as you begin seeing the results you expected! Best of luck to you!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with Highland... granted, I am a newbie too. But from the moment I was banded up until now, I didnt feel much from the band, and mine was placed completely empty (as the majority are upon surgery). Many people report not having restriction until their fourth and sometimes fifth fill. They call this bandster hell. Before then, it seems to be willpower and motivation. I havent had a fill yet, and I lost close to 30 lbs already, All of this was done from the post-op liquid diet (my doc didnt require a pre-op liquid diet at all!) and from the semi solid phase. I am getting my first fill on Dec. 6th (hopefully) but it's not guaranteed. Everything that goes into my mouth, I question. My band is not yet my tool. I am still waiting to be able to utilize it!! But I can't wait for that to happen. Right now, I feel like I am doing most of it on my own, but it's worth it. Once I get restriction, the band will be my best friend, and I will get further than i did on my own.