Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Pre Op Diet - Fruit Yes Or No?

Just started my pre op diet today - surgery was pushed back to Dec. 14

because they had over booked before. Wanted to know if any of your doctors

say you can add fruit to your shakes? I know mine said only liquids but I was

thinking of adding a 1/2 banana just to thicken it up a bit and so I don't feel

so weak??? I need to loose 20 pounds in 2 weeks and 5 days (probably impossible)

but it has to be 20 since I gained 10 when they told me to loose 10. (I honestly think

that was a mental thing... how in the world did I gain 10 when trying to loose???)

anyway i know every doctor is different and wanted to know if yours say okay to fruit

yet still staying under 800 calories? Thanks in advance!

The diet they had me on allowed 1 fruit a day. To be honest I see a lot on here where they are on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery, that's new to me. I will say that my biggest help was non starchy vegetables, I was able to eat all I wanted, green Beans and carrots was most of my diet for 2 weeks. My doctor also told me that the key to the liver shrinking diet was to keep the carbs down. I reccomend doing what the doctor says but if you should slip in a banana in your smoothie, who's gonna know

LOL thank you so much! :)

ps congrates on your weight loss, that # is amazing!

Thanks .... I myself lost 28 pounds in the 2 weeks I was on the liver shrinking diet. I hope the best for you .... Good Luck

Generally if your Dr has told you only liquids that is what he/she means. A banana is not a liquid and it is also high in carbs. If you are looking for ways to not follow the diet you have been given now preop how are you going to cope post op?

Yes it is hard, we know that, we have all been there too but it is part of the process. Your Dr gives you instructions for a reason. If you think you can't stick to what you have been told phone your Dr and ask if it is OK.

Every doctor has his/her own ideas. I can tell you what my doctor would say but none of us know what your doctor has in mind. You need to ask him yourself. Elcee's right. If you want to be successful in your journey you need to learn to follow his instructions right now. If you can't do it now, you probably won't be able to do it later.

Hi. Please don't think I am saying this to be mean spirited. If you gained 10 pounds while you thought you were dieting I think you should avoid fruit in your smoothy. The reason I say this is it sounds to me like you need to be more focused on serving sizes. I know it's a drag but start measuring everything that you eat. Even in the smoothy. Measure out 8 ounces of fat free milk, don't just glug it in. Over weight people are notoriously bad (myself included) at accurately determining serving sizes. Also measure out 8 oz pour it into your drinking glasses and coffee mugs. I discovered one of my mugs was 12 oz when I thought it was 8. So I would have been having 1 1/2 portions.

I was on my own preop diet for 7 months and lost 50 pounds. The week presurgery I did 1 Protein shake for Breakfast and another for dinner, with a low cal/fat high Protein lunch. I was including fruit in the smoothy but my nutritionist said post op NO fruit. Post op your stomach is healing and it should not be moving around trying to digest fruit.

To Honk and the others, no I don't think you are being mean spirited... I know

you mean well and I appreciate your honesty. I will call my doctor's office today

and let them know I honestly don't think I can do "all liquids" for the next 2 weeks

and 5 or so days. Everytime I try, I fail. No one in my family feels I can do it either

and they feel I shouldn't get the surgery at all. If I don't loose the weight I won't

be getting the surgery. I can't understand how I WAS loosing before they TOLD ME to loose more, as soon as they said that I started gaining. Yes, my portions are big because I stay hungry. I'm on medicine that causes weight gain as well. The other night, I made it all the way up til bedtime, then I ate my grand daughter's chicken nuggets that she didn't want. (I HATE chicken nuggets) but I was so hungry I threw them in my mouth regretting only after I ate them. And Honk you are a inspiration.. you did the liquid diet so many months before surgery - that is amazing. How did you do it? I can't even get a good 1 day in without cheating. I'm going to try again today.

I want to clarify that I did not do my liquid diet for the whole seven months. When my surgery was postponed I did go to one shake a day with two meals. As my sugery got closer I went back to 2 shakes a day.

I also was swimming presurgery which helped with weight loss.

My doctor recommend a 500 calorie a day liquid diet that I did for 5 days and had to stop. One I was OBSESSED with my next shake. The largest reason I stopped however was the shakes gave me a tingely feeling in the back of my throat like a food allergy. My brother has deadly food allergies so I was'nt going to mess around with that.

No fruit due to carbs & sugar. I have been on my pre-op diet since Thanksgiving day--not only did I start on that day, I gave up diet coke!! Nobody who knows me can believe that. The shakes arent the best--I just gulp it down & look forward to my Protein dinner. Dont give up!! Its only 2 weeks & it will fly by!! Be positive & stay strong!

and Ps---I've already lost almost 5 lbs!! Im just picturing that liver shrinking too!! :)

Well it's 10:30pm and you all will be happy to know I DID IT!!! Praise God!!!

I guess I needed that 'butt kickin' emails from you all and my good friend called

and whipped me into shape and Matt I met here on the forum has been a God send, always so motivational to me. Today I am at 685 calories (I'm allowed 800 liquid)

I had:

breakfast: whey Protein shake 08oz

snack: 08 oz tea w/ splenda and 1 bottle Water

lunch: 1 cup chicken broth (liquid only)

dinner whey Protein Shake 08oz

snack: bottle of Water

a friend told me that this is a spiritual battle and that kinda got me

thinking differently. I said I'm not going to let satan win in any area of

my life. And he was winning because I couldn't give up food. But

through prayer and the support I'm finding on here I'm going to do this!

I'm going to succeed. I have a new mind frame today and that comes

straight from the Lord.

Honk I'm still proud of you, that was a long time to be on any type of diet.

and "new chp in my life" to start your diet ON Thanksgiving... wow... I take my

hat off to you. I knew better to even try that, LOL.

I got on the scale... no weight loss yet but I'm praying the 20 pounds will come

off before the 14th of Dec so I can get banded.

there is a saying that I really like... the battle of the tide turned

as soon as I started to pray.

and it's so true.

Good night!

I need to loose 20 pounds in 2 weeks and 5 days (probably impossible)

but it has to be 20 since I gained 10 when they told me to loose 10.

I lost 22 lbs in 14 days on my pre-op drinking liquid shakes (5 8 oz Optifast), Water and eating sugar free fruit popsicles (25 - 40 calories). 800 calories each day. Its only for a short time. You can do it!

The only fruit allowed on my 2 week pre-op diet was all-natural unsweetened applesauce. I would mix some unflavored Protein powder in with it for added Protein. Wasn't the best tasting, but it helped hold me over to dinner. I wasn't allowed any "foods". All my meals had to be broth, Protein shakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, or greek yogurt. It was awful and I hated it, but I lost 18 pounds doing it. Honestly, for me the 2 week liquid diet post-surgery was worse. The first week wasn't bad because I was still in pain and didn't feel like eating, but after that, my appetite came back and I was still restricted to liquids only. I was never so happy to switch to pureed food in all my life.

I'm now 7 weeks post-op and on a solid foods diet. I have lost 10 pounds since surgery and got my first fill last Monday. I still don't have good restriction, but I'm getting there.

You can do it!! Just picture yourself skinny vs. food and decide which one you want more. I do this a lot in the evenings when I start craving Snacks.