Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sports Post Lap Band Op

Hi everyone I was banded 11/11/11. I not only play volleyball 2 times a week (power) but also coach. I'm not going to say its very minimal contact because it's not, I'm sprawling a lot and on the floor digging balls up.... I'm worried about the port and band when I start to play again. I have read someone say I could never play again and others say u can play right away. Any thoughts?? Ps never playin again is NOT a option!!

My Dr. cleared me after one week to go back to the gym, and also allowed to soak in whirlpools, etc. He said I could do anything. No restrictions. Anything? I asked? Anything!

He then caught himself and said "But don't overdo it" for a few more weeks.

All I can say is, if I lay prone (stomach down) or press against any hard surfaces, (such as lifting weights on a machine) it presses against my port and can hurt! My port is right below my skin and looks like 1/2 golf ball bulging out. There's no fat there. Skin, port and muscle underneath so it can press hard. Sliding on a gym floor may hurt.

But you will have to try it for yourself. I can see myself doing it, but I would probably wrap my mid-section with one of those neoprene belly binders or similar for protection.

Just because I'm banded, I will not let it get in the way of anything I want to do. I am a active, adventurous person, and my Dr. knows it and he has never told me to avoid things.

I bought one of those body ball things, so that I could work on my core. I can not lay on it on my stomach because it hurts my port. Mine is not sticking out at all, but I can definitely feel it. I would make sure i put some sort of protection over the area if you are planning on sliding across the floor. It may be painful!

Hi everyone I was banded 11/11/11. I not only play volleyball 2 times a week (power) but also coach. I'm not going to say its very minimal contact because it's not, I'm sprawling a lot and on the floor digging balls up.... I'm worried about the port and band when I start to play again. I have read someone say I could never play again and others say u can play right away. Any thoughts?? Ps never playin again is NOT a option!!

Once you heal from surgery there's no reason you can't do everything you did before...and more!

Thanks everyone I was sooooo depressed when I read some of the things people were saying about volleyball. How I should never play again, thats just not a option. Im a very active 26 yr old and volleyball is something i could never give up. Thank you for the suggestions, ill definitely talk to my doctor about getting something to protect the port because theres no doubt in my mind I will be falling on it (eventually)!! Im on my 3rd week post op so im going to give it a few more weeks before I get back into the game, just to be sure! My port is tender by touch, will that ever go away???

I would let yourself heal for a bit before you play, if it is kind of with contact and stuff, but I see absolutely no reason not to play. If my having surgery ever kept me from doing something I'd be like, take this out please. Not sure when but I plan to join a martial arts some time and if I'm sparring or something and I get kicked in the abdomen, I'm sure the lap band won't care, but my port is easily felt and it might end up twinging a bit, but I'm not gonna care because I'm happy now.

That's the attitude! I agree 100% I cannot and will not give up something I love like volleyball! It keeps me sane and is also a good workout! Thanks