Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Two days after surgery

I wish him the best.

I know just how hungry you can get after weight loss surgery, but eating solid foods too soon can cause

your surgery to fail. A surgeon that teaches WLS told me that eating solid foods too early can be one

of the most common causes of early WLS failure. First week Clear liquids, second week full liquids,

weeks 3 and4, mushies, week five solids cut finely, week six, you're home free. It's hard to stick to

a diet like this, but if you're going to lose weight, you absolutely have to eat properly. Haven't you

read posts from people who "can't lose, no matter what I eat". You went through a lot to get this band,

and you have to work to have it do you any good. The band, by itself won't make you lose one pound,

it's like a lifetime diet with a helper. Give it a chance.

when I read this it really scared me.....my doctor told me 1st week Clear Liquids, 2nd week full liquids, 3rd week mushies, 4th week regular food, but make choices that are soft like flaky fish and soft cooked veggies...and at about 6-8 weeks to introduce raw veggies and fruit as I could tolerate it. Since it is a bit different from what your doctor has stated does that mean that I am going to have WLS failure? I have been losing between 1-3 lbs per week so far. I am trying to understand why so many people get so many different diet approaches from their doctors. I hope that I haven't gone through all this and now because of the diet plan I was given I will be a failure at this.

@ Hopefloats - you seem to have been given good solid instructions for positive weight loss. I was given the same. I agree it is amazing to see the variations of advice - but if you trust your Dr then you will trust what he/she tells you to do. Use your logical compass and move forward. That's what I am doing. I am down 22 pounds since my pre-opt diet started end of Oct. I was banded on the 8th and although I hit a few bumps in the road initially after surgery - it has turned around and is now full speed ahead. Good luck. rolleyes.gif

WOW! I hope that other folks who are very recently banded use this thread as a good lesson. I feel really sorry for that guy. I hope that all goes well for him and that nothing bad happens to him or his band,

Wow, I'm 2 days post op and could not imagine eating chicken or pringles. Maybe he went with the lap band too soon before he was ready. I wish him the best

@ Hopefloats - you seem to have been given good solid instructions for positive weight loss. I was given the same. I agree it is amazing to see the variations of advice - but if you trust your Dr then you will trust what he/she tells you to do. Use your logical compass and move forward. That's what I am doing. I am down 22 pounds since my pre-opt diet started end of Oct. I was banded on the 8th and although I hit a few bumps in the road initially after surgery - it has turned around and is now full speed ahead. Good luck. rolleyes.gif

Thanks so much Clioamuse for your encouraging words....I think since this is the beginning of my journey Corrigans statement just threw me for a loop....I have to put my logical cap back on and trust my doctor....:D

Hopefloats,

Everyone's doctor is a little different. I'm two and half weeks post op and I was advanced to "soft proteins" as tolerated at my follow visit. I was told to start with yogurt, puddings and baby food consistency. If they were tolerated well (no pain, nausea, belching, ect.) I could move up to lumpy foods like cottage cheese and flaky fish. Again, if they were well tolerated, I could try moist chicken and turkey (bites are to be about the size of a pencil eraser and chew until liquid). I am not permitted any fruits, veggies or grains. (or Pringles)

I was also told to resume Vitamins. The nutritionist said that any Vitamins, minerals and Fiber that I am missing from being on a nearly all Protein diet will be made up the vitamins. She also explained that the high Protein diet will help my body to continue healing, keep me from losing muscle mass and help keep my metabolism going.

Listen to your surgeon's team and follow your plan.

Yes! Vitamins vitamins! I take prenatal vitamins because the ratio of healthy stuff in there is awesome.

Hopefloats,

Everyone's doctor is a little different. I'm two and half weeks post op and I was advanced to "soft proteins" as tolerated at my follow visit. I was told to start with yogurt, puddings and baby food consistency. If they were tolerated well (no pain, nausea, belching, ect.) I could move up to lumpy foods like cottage cheese and flaky fish. Again, if they were well tolerated, I could try moist chicken and turkey (bites are to be about the size of a pencil eraser and chew until liquid). I am not permitted any fruits, veggies or grains. (or Pringles)

I was also told to resume Vitamins. The nutritionist said that any Vitamins, minerals and Fiber that I am missing from being on a nearly all Protein diet will be made up the vitamins. She also explained that the high Protein diet will help my body to continue healing, keep me from losing muscle mass and help keep my metabolism going.

Listen to your surgeon's team and follow your plan.

thanks Dulci...I too was told to go back on vitamins my second week. I will listen to my doc and follow his instructions....I am just amazed at how many different version/opinions there are.