Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout while on Pre-op diet?

I started my pre-op diet yesterday. The entire thing consists of about 500 calories. I'm 355 pounds- is ok to take walks around the neighborhood or am I eating too little for that??

Is this a doctor-recommended diet? 500 calories is ridiculous. It should be more like 1000 which will still be a lot less than whatever you have been eating, right? I think that's way too restrictive and punishing and I dont think you will feel like going on walks! I think you'll be light headed, cranky, and headachey! Just go by how you feel on the walks...good luck!

try a short walk first, probably depends on how you feel. but the fresh air and getting out might get your mind off the lack of solid food. they always make me feel better, even if its just a light walk.

I'm up at 1000 calories (wt 305) and especially the first few days walking really helped, and it's getting easier and easier, plus a habit I'll need to be in post-op! I can't imagine 500 calories though! How long is the pre-op diet?

Muscle Milk shake AM - 130 calories

Muscle Milk Shake Noon- 130 calories

Lean meat 4 ounces 100-200 calories

unlimited green veggies 50-100 calories

Jello- unlimited- usually 10 calories

Broths - unlimited- usually around 30 calories

I guess that's around 600 calories if I use all the high ends. That's the doc pre-op diet, yes. 3 weeks. I am light headed a bit and just mostly tired. I'm not sure if I feel like walking but I wanted to give it a shot.

Go for a walk...when you feel like you've had enough, go home. The pre op shouldn't stop you from basic walking. I wouldn't recommend doing high intensity cario training, but a stroll around the neighborhood would get you out of the house and probably help keep your spirits up. the pre op can be gruelling.

When I was on my pre-op diet with Dr. Jessee, I did 2 Protein Shakes a day and 1 low calorie meal. I probaby ate around 800 calories a day maybe a little more. I think 600 is way to low

maybe add one more Protein Shake? or change the type of Protein shake?