Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be Prepared!

I have noticed that most people "fall off the wagon" when they are caught without the foods they can eat. Whether it be out with the family and everyone ends up starving and goes to McDonald's or you woke up late and didn't have time to fix a lunch and Snacks to take to work.. it will happen to us all, eventually. I know that many of you have plan B's in place for such occassions and I thought it would be great to get some tips from the pros.

I know Puddinpie uses the suck and seal thing for her meals. I've seen some great ideas and recipes from her on this topic and would love it if she'd share that again here.

I personally was thinking about keeping one of those small insulated lunch bags handy and tossing Slim Fast shake and maybe a pouch of tuna.< /p>

Anyone else have clever ideas that have saved your bums from making wrong choices out of desperation and starvation?

I keep a couple south beach bars and some of those 100 calorie packs in my desk at work. I also left some bars at my folks' house, just in case.

If they didn't have a coating on the bottom, I'd leave them one in my car - this time of year, I could - but come summer - icky.

OMG! Thats wonderful! Now thats something that I couldnt have on hand because I know me.. I'd start with one pack and eat them all. BUT! This would be a great alternative when you know you are going to give in and eat Cookies or cheeze nips, or whatever. Thanks for the great tip!

I have the goldfish snack pack it fills me up and they are tasty too.

Keebler makes the 100 calorie packs too and they are wonderful... I like them better than the Nabisco ones. The nabisco's chocolate chip Cookies are like crackers and the keeblers are like real cookies but I do like the nabisco pnut butter cookies :)

I have a couple packs of the Peanut Butter Cookies...I didn't care for them, shall I send them? lol

I like the Cheezits (Keebler) better than the cheese Nips (Nabisco), but the only sweet one I buy are the graham cracker ones now. The Oreo ones scare me for some reason, but that's probably cause I'm not a chocolate nut.

My desk is like being in a small grocery store... :rolleyes

In my cube overhead shelf/drawers I keep a box of Cereal, several cans of veggies and tuna, old fashioned oatmeal, Peanut Butter, honey, tea, a hand mixer, Protein powder, Fiber, vinegar, olive oil, spices, soy milk, apples...

In the fridge at work I have lettuce, celery, tomatos and carrots. Right now in the work freezer I have unsweetened blueberries and blackberries.

I try to cook chicken breasts or other things at home in advance, but on the days I forgot to bring it, or didn't have a chance to do it, I have plenty of stuff to choose from here at work.

Very occasionally I will still choose to go out and eat something less nutritious, but it helps that my budget doesn't really accommodate too much of that. However, without my fallback stashes, I'm sure I'd be eating out at least 1-2 times a week, instead of once every couple of months.

:hungry:

I've been thinking about the 100 calories packs and have decided that for ME they would be the slippery slope down to old eating habits. But like I said before, they would be a great intervention for the times when you break down and say 'to hell with it, im eating cookies!' I'd buy the box, walk out of the store, take out one pack, and throw the rest in the garbage can - before I got to my car and opened the pack. I have a very addictive personality. I never do anything in moderation. I'd have the entire box eaten by the time I got home.

I really like Donali's "grocery store at work". Look at her choice of rescue foods. All healthy, all keeping her focused on the goal to eat right, nothing there would be something you'd grab in a weak moment of cravings. Dawg keeps extra cans of tuna in his desk for those days when he really gets hungry between lunch and 5:00.

The other day I went to a friend's house and planned to be there all day long. So I packed my small bowls of prepared foods that I normally eat while at home. But what about those times when you get caught out unexpectedly and its meal time, not snack time?

Not many have responded to this, which is kind of what I expected. Know why? Because many of us DO get caught unprepared and I think these might be key times to screwups. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

This is so important! I freeze single serving sizes of any and all leftovers. I weigh it before I freeze it so I know it's exactly 4 ounces, this way I always have something to grab on my way out the door. I always buy fresh produce for the entire week for my work fridge. I sneak in the kitchen 10 min before lunch and pop a bowl in the micro (put a plate on top) with a dribble of Water so my veggies are steamed perfect. Yesterday it was a hunk of kielbasa. I have single servings of pork roast, chicken & turkey. I also buy prepackaged 4oz single servings of smoked salmon.

:hungry: I try to keep applesauce, string cheese, yogurt, soup-at-hand and the 4oz cans of mixed fruit at work at all times. All of them are at least 120 calories or less. I used to keep cans of tuna but tuna is not my friend anymore....it gets stuck no matter how much mayo you put on it or how much I chew it! :phanvan Ticks me off too! :) I love tuna! Every now and then I will have a small bag of Cheeto's but I make them last for awhile and follow it later with a bottle of Water to get some of the sodium washed away! And I keep popsicles on hand at home at all times...that and Jell-o w/Cool Whip. Yum! :)

susan,

Thanks for starting this thread.... It is great to get ideas from others now that I am on mushies moving more, and more toward normal "light" food.< /span>

D

food at work and food for "emergencies" are not really the same thing. Food at work is easy. I have always kept oatmeal and miscelaneous canned things in my desk. I haven't really got a plan for emergencies, though. In TX it gets too hot to leave even canned food in the car - so I am at a loss. I guess I will have to get a Protein bar to shove into the bottom of my purse.

I'm with Susan/Photonut - 100 calorie packs only work if you can stop after 1 - so none of those for me!

Anybody have any better suggestions for Travel Food that will keep in a car at 150 degrees?