Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong?

I got my lap band in May. People ask me all the time if I would do it again and what the worst part is. Yes I would do it again. I know I would still be gaining weight if I had not. And to me the worst part is that it is slower than I thought it would be. I have only lost 25 lbs. And I know that is better that gaining even an oz. but I thought it would be more by now. I have had 3 fills and I do not know how much is in my band, they will not tell me. I had broke my foot and I am just now getting back to exercising. I think what make's this so hard is that it seems like my doctor is never happy. I say I am walking almost 4 miles she tells me I should be doing 5. I say I am go the elliptical for 25-30 min. I hear it should be longer. I went for a fill the other day and I had only lost a couple of oz. I had just got back from vacation. And she said I hadn't lost enough for a fill. And I need to work harder and come back in 4 weeks. And I should only be eating 1/2 C. of food 3 times a day, no snacking. I feel so week when I do that. She said I should be eating no more 500 - 700 cals. a day. Am I being a big baby? Am I not working hard enough? This is my first time to write anything so sorry if it's a lot. Thanks for your thoughts.

You have all the information you need to lose weight. If you choose

to follow it, you'll lose, if not you'll probably gain. I know this isn't

very simpathetic, but simpathy isn't what you need.

You have to quit eating more calories than you burn. No amount

of excuses will take one ounce off you.

Look for "The 5 day band test" on this site or Google. You have to

get back on track and I wish I could help you with it, but these words

are all I can give you. Now, you can give me a dozen, crisp, chocolate chip Cookies.

I just saw the picture of your kids. If they aren't enough to get you started, I don't know what is.

I have a few things to contribute:

First, you have a medical device implanted in you and you have the legal right to know exactly what is involved in it, including how much fill is in there. If they won't tell you, give them a written request for a copy of all of your medical records from their office and specify that you want to know exactly how much Fluid is in your band. They may charge you for the copies, but that's all they can do. Your doctor cannot legally keep your medical information from you. I think sometimes doctors need to be reminded of this.

Second, telling you that you didn't lose enough weight to "earn" a fill is both obnoxious and defeating. If you haven't lost weight, are exercising, and are hungry in between meals, then it's a sign that you DO need a fill.

Now, if you are not exercising and are eating slider foods to get around the band, that's another story. In my opinion, step one is getting your head right--are you working the band and exercising? If so, step two is getting your doctor's head right--and if she doesn't treat you with respect and give you the help you need, see if you can find another doctor.

Honestly, if a doctor refused to give me information I requested, I would be pitching a fit. And refusing to give a fill on the basis of NOT losing weight is absurd, unless there's some indication that you're in the green zone but not working the band--if that's the case, then the dr. is right about not giving a fill. But she's still wrong not to give you the information about the amount of Fluid in the band. According to my dr., although everyone is different, most people with a 10cc band hit the green zone somewhere between 5 and 7 cc's of fill. If you only have, say, 3 cc's, it might not be surprising that you're not losing quickly.

IMO, anyway.

I got my lap band in May. People ask me all the time if I would do it again and what the worst part is. Yes I would do it again. I know I would still be gaining weight if I had not. And to me the worst part is that it is slower than I thought it would be. I have only lost 25 lbs. And I know that is better that gaining even an oz. but I thought it would be more by now. I have had 3 fills and I do not know how much is in my band, they will not tell me. I had broke my foot and I am just now getting back to exercising. I think what make's this so hard is that it seems like my doctor is never happy. I say I am walking almost 4 miles she tells me I should be doing 5. I say I am go the elliptical for 25-30 min. I hear it should be longer. I went for a fill the other day and I had only lost a couple of oz. I had just got back from vacation. And she said I hadn't lost enough for a fill. And I need to work harder and come back in 4 weeks. And I should only be eating 1/2 C. of food 3 times a day, no snacking. I feel so week when I do that. She said I should be eating no more 500 - 700 cals. a day. Am I being a big baby? Am I not working hard enough? This is my first time to write anything so sorry if it's a lot. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks both of you. It's nice to know I can get on here and hear what I need to. I am trying to really get active and see if that helps. Knowing that I have changed my life so much I would think that alone would keep things going good. I just need to not fall back into old habits and get discouraged.

I agree with the above posters, you do have the right to know what is in your band, and you shouldn't have to "earn" a fill. Ridiculous!

Does your doctor have you following a specific diet? Ex: i'm supposed to be doing no carb (<30g a day). I followed to a T, and lost 10lb in 3 weeks. I slacked off, and lost only 4lb over the following month. I'd recommend you try the super low carb method. It's amazing,

Honestly, sorry to say but your doctor's office is stupid! You are simply not eating enough. Trust me I learned the hard way. I could have been losing so much weight but I started eating enough late. I believe you should be eating around 1100-1200 a day. You won't lose weight unless you eat. I know we all are different, but still you have to eat. My doctor says for me not to go under 1000 cal a day. As soon as I listened, I started dropping weight. I don't workout as much as I should, I'm sure if I did if would come off even quicker. Good luck and hang in there. It will get better.:)

I agree with previous poster, you are not eating enough! My Dr has also said to NOT go under 1000 cal per day, 800 on some days is okay. Sounds to me like your metabolism has slowed down. Are you not hungry? Or are you trying to just follow their guidlines on the calorie amount? I know we are suppose to do 3 meals a day, but that just does not work for me. I do small 6 meals, okay well maybe they are not MEALS but I eat something every 2-3 hours. Hang in there, it's so worth it :)

Congrats on the 25 pounds lost!!!

Between surgery and my first fill, I month, I lost weight mainly due to the post op diet regime.

Between my first fill and 2nd fill, again 4weeks later, I gained weight due mainly to eating normal foods again.

On that visit I felt guilty, and was fearing his possible displeasure.

It was the opposite. He pointed to the wall chart showing the yellow, green, and red zones, and said our goal and his job was to getme in that green zone. He simply said I was still in the yellow zone.

He also explained to me that that is why the band is adjustable.

I have had 4 fills total. Iam in the green zone. He said the only future fils I can expect would be "fine tuning" with 1/2 cc, plus or minus.

I agree with the above posters, you do have the right to know what is in your band, and you shouldn't have to "earn" a fill. Ridiculous!

Does your doctor have you following a specific diet? Ex: i'm supposed to be doing no carb (<30g a day). I followed to a T, and lost 10lb in 3 weeks. I slacked off, and lost only 4lb over the following month. I'd recommend you try the super low carb method. It's amazing,

Nicki - Can you provide me of a sample of your daily menu with a <30g of carb per day regiman? I'm very interested to see what that looks like.

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

I was banded in May also. I have lost almost 45 pounds. I eat way more than a half a cup. I eat around a cup and a half three times a day and yes I have Snacks. I am eating between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. I dont think eating under 700 calories is healthy.unsure.gif

Kat

You'll see me say this a lot on the board, but every pound is a victory. 25 pounds may not seem like a lot, but it's a lot more than 0. Think about what you did to lose those 25 pounds, and then step it up! What can you do a little more of to kick start yourself? I am sure that if you have the ability to lose 25 pounds, you have the ability to lose a lot more!

My surgeon did give me fills very slowly ½ cc a time and I lost 84 lbs with only 3.8 cc in my 10 cc band. It wasn't until my Surgeon retired that I had to go to a new one and he filled me too full as I am now. Waiting for a slight unfill. Loved my surgeon and many people will says how great and nice he was. He was involved early on with the clinical trials with the FDA and trained many of the surgeons in Houston on the LapBand. But he believed in filling slowly and I think it helped me to get use to the band.

If I went in for a fill I knew he was expecting that I would have lost 10 - 15 lbs in order for a fill. Once I went in sooner and wanted a fill and he really wanted me to wait, so I lied and told him that I was getting hungry in between meals so he gave me a ½cc fill which I put up with for a month and then went in and begged for a slight unfill which he gave me of .02cc and the relief was wonderful, so never lie to your surgeon. Slower is not always bad. But you also have to remember many factors go into how fast you lose. But only you know if you are following the diet, sneaking food, drinking your Water, getting your protien in, working out. The fills don't do the work in my opinion they only help. Some people never get a fill. But I am proof that you can lose with only a small amount of fill so look at the whole picture and see if you can find what you are missing

Also since this is your first couple of posts don't feel like people are ganging up on you, tough love is what some people need others need a softer touch and it seems you are getting both. I do agree that if you have not tried low carb you should. i always lose good on it but I just can't do it for very long and my dr said it is unrealistic to try to maintain like that it is too hard, but a lot of people do and it works for them. Guess I am a wimp and have to have a few carbs

Cheri

Is anyone else concerned with the 500 to 700 calories a day? Seems awful low to me. I was told 1200 but I try to stay under 1000 each day.

I agree way too low in my opinion up to at least 1000?

Cheri