Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from NYC!!!

Hi Everybody!

My name is Jenn and my lap band surgery is scheduled for 11/10/11.

I start my pre-op liquid diet tomorrow.

Thank you for being a great resource and a safe place for questions and sharing.

I'm also looking for friends also getting banded in November. I've found so much useful information in my planning and I plan on reciprocating by sharing my journey.

Peace and Protein Shakes :)

Jenn

Hi, Jenn! I'm from NYC, too! :) Congratulations on your surgery date! Very exciting stuff -- and you have a LOT to look forward to! I'll give you the advice that I give all newbies (and that I wish someone would have given me at the start)... take your measurements and write them down and also take a bunch of "before" photos. You will really want them later so that you can see how far you have come!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Hi Jenn,

I'm from NYC and was banded 9/12 at Bellevue Hospital. So far, so good. I've lost 34 lbs from my highest weight, and 20 lbs from my pre-op diet in about 6 weeks. I'm taking it slow, as I only want to do this once.

Remember, the band is a tool. You still have to struggle with eating the right kinds of food, not eating too much, and being reasonable with your portion sizes. Weight loss will be rapid just after the surgery and will then slow down somewhat. Don't be discouraged! Remember, it took us a long time to become obese, and it will take us some time to solve the problem. Don't set yourself up for failure, and be kind to yourself.

Welcome to the NYC Lap band sisterhood! We've taken the first step in our journey

Lisa in NYC

Welcome. I am from NYC too and was banded at NYU by Dr Kurian on 10/20. The experience at NYU was wonderful. You could not have chosen a better surgeon/hospital. I had never had surgery before and they made me feel so comfortable. I have also had very little recovery issues. The after care from the packet i received is very intense as well. No room to mess up.

My word of advice to you is Protein, Protein, protein. Drink those Protein shakes now. And keep drinking them after the surgery - no matter how much you want to stop. They help with the hunger and the help with the healing.

Hi Catherine

Thanks for the advice on before photos and measurements. Good idea!

Took a brief look at your blog last night as well - thanks in advance for the resource I am sure it will be :)

Cheers on this rainy Thursday :)

Jenn

Hi, Jenn! I'm from NYC, too! :) Congratulations on your surgery date! Very exciting stuff -- and you have a LOT to look forward to! I'll give you the advice that I give all newbies (and that I wish someone would have given me at the start)... take your measurements and write them down and also take a bunch of "before" photos. You will really want them later so that you can see how far you have come!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Thanks for saying 'hello' ! And for validating my NYU choice. This practice really has it together. I feel good whenever I interact with anyone there.

Well, Protein shake number 2 down the hatch (Slim-Fast) I had a Glucerna for Breakfast. Trying to figure out which ones I like best :) Have a good day.

Jenn

Welcome. I am from NYC too and was banded at NYU by Dr Kurian on 10/20. The experience at NYU was wonderful. You could not have chosen a better surgeon/hospital. I had never had surgery before and they made me feel so comfortable. I have also had very little recovery issues. The after care from the packet i received is very intense as well. No room to mess up.

My word of advice to you is Protein, protein, protein. Drink those protein shakes now. And keep drinking them after the surgery - no matter how much you want to stop. They help with the hunger and the help with the healing.

Thanks Lisa!

It is nice to feel a sense of community here. I have been rooting myself in good self-care practices as well as researching all the different things I can do to help myself on this journey. I know the surgery is just the beginning of a lot of changes.

Hope you are feeling great 6 weeks out.

Jenn

Hi Jenn,

I'm from NYC and was banded 9/12 at Bellevue Hospital. So far, so good. I've lost 34 lbs from my highest weight, and 20 lbs from my pre-op diet in about 6 weeks. I'm taking it slow, as I only want to do this once.

Remember, the band is a tool. You still have to struggle with eating the right kinds of food, not eating too much, and being reasonable with your portion sizes. Weight loss will be rapid just after the surgery and will then slow down somewhat. Don't be discouraged! Remember, it took us a long time to become obese, and it will take us some time to solve the problem. Don't set yourself up for failure, and be kind to yourself.

Welcome to the NYC Lap band sisterhood! We've taken the first step in our journey

Lisa in NYC

Cool...I made a note to try the Isopure when I can do a big shop this weekend.

Trying not to become an online reading addict on this thing - I can tell it is already going to be a problem :)

Hi Everybody!

My name is Jenn and my lap band surgery is scheduled for 11/10/11.

I start my pre-op liquid diet tomorrow.

Thank you for being a great resource and a safe place for questions and sharing.

I'm also looking for friends also getting banded in November. I've found so much useful information in my planning and I plan on reciprocating by sharing my journey.

Peace and Protein shakes :)

Jenn

I was banded on 10/21/11 at NYU as well. You have chosen a wonderful team! Like Lb4me, I have very little post op issues. Very little gas if any. My surgeon was Dr. Schwack. Best of luck to you!!!!!

Catherine - I ventured out into the snowstorm on Saturday to GNC to grab a few of the Isopure gatorade-ish drinks you recommended.

They are such a nice change from the Glucerna shakes I've been chugging! Thanks so much for the tip.

I signed up for GNC's gold card and am about to order a case of Isopure to be delivered to my office this week (those bottles are heavy!)

thanks again

jenn

I like the Isopure shakes from GNC -- they have a lot of Protein (24 grams, I think) and taste more like Gatoraid than a shake. I really couldn't stand most of the shakes! Glad you liked the blog, Jenn!

Best,

Catherine

Hi Jenn,

I know I said hi to you in another thread, but here is just as good as anywhere. I didn't know if you knew about the support group for NYU people. It meets the 3rd wednesday of every month. you can find details on their website, or message me if you don't know about it and I will get you the info.

I have found it to be very helpful as I haven't told anyone about my surgery, so at least i have some people i can talk to about it.

just throwing that out there for you or any other NYU patient who is interested in attending.

and to everyone else...HI NYC people. there are a lot of us. we should meet up one of these days and do something not revolving around food....maybe walk around central park or bike or something. just an idea.