Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College life and the Band- Good in theory, not in practice.

Hi everyone! :)

So I'm a freshman in college, a fresh crisp 18, and I am having a little trouble with my band. Or more specifically, with my Protein. I love college and am having an absolute blast, but this campus is not made for the protein lover! I know that I am definitely not getting enough protein and I need some serious assistance.

I have lost 20 pounds since I came to school on August 25th, which is good, but the problem is that I have not been eating the right amount protein. I don't count it all, but I am 100% sure that I am protein deficient. I honestly try to find protein, especially in the dining hall (I have a meal plan) and I find that my options are limited. Generally in the cafeteria, I have three protein options. There is one place with usually some protein, but half the time it is fried, covered in some calorie-filled sauce, or just gross. There is another station where they "grill" you chicken. Great, right? Not. They basically pull this dry, awful tasting, brick-like piece of chicken out of a tin and put it on your plate. The third if yogurt, which is great, but it gets old. I have a little fridge in my room that I try to fill with healthy stuff, but I only have so much room! Right now, looking in my fridge as I type, I see tuna, cottage cheese, some fruit, some pickles and pepperocini, some light Baby Bell cheese, some diet margarine, and Diet Snapple. In my freezer I have some frozen fish filets (which I just cooked a batch of to eat for a while) and frozen GoGurts that I use for Desserts (Try it sometime. It's actually pretty nice AND low cal.). I think it sounds pretty good in general, but my fridge is full!

The only plus I have found is that on campus there is this smoothie place that lists the amount of calories in every single one of their smoothies, and their Protein One has 25g of protein and about 250 calories. I'll sometimes get these in the mornings when my band is tight and I really don't feel like eating anything for a while. But other than those, I have yet to find a seriously good source of protein on campus. There is so much junk junk junk (Starbucks. My weakness.), but not enough healthy options. What do you all suggest I do? I do not have a lot of money to buy food because I'm in college, but I can't find anything to fill my protein needs! I HATE Protein shakes with a passion and I don't want to have to resort to them for all my protein. I like food, and I wanna eat it!

Thank you all!

Elizabeth

I don't envy you one bit. You're embarking on 2 of the biggest journeys of your life at the same time. Kudos to you! My son is at college with a meal plan too and I know the food is absolutely repulsive! If you like those smoothies I say go ahead and have one for Breakfast every day. 250 calories for breakfast isn't bad. Since you don't like Proteins shakes try Carnation Instant Breakfast once or twice a day. There's 5 grams of Protein in the powder and another 1 gram in each ounce of milk so you can get another 13 grams in each one. If you have access to Sam's Club or costco it's much cheaper than the grocery store. About $8 for 22-30 of them. I like Pintos and cheese from Taco Bell. High in protein and low in calories. You can make them yourself. Buy canned refried Beans. Put them in a bowl with some taco sauce and sprinkle shredded cheese on top and microwave it. Those things added with your tuna and yogurt should help you get enough protein for the day. Good luck to you. You're doing well. Keep it up.

I just bought Protein powder at GNC called MyoFusion (cost $25 you most likely will get a student discount just ask) each scoop has 25g of Protein. You can make it yourself in a blender ball cup (i like to add ice) 147 calories you get 25g of protein so if you double up for 300 calories you get 50g of protein and it tastes good! If you could afford the calories add 8oz of fat free milk and you get another 9g of protein for a total of 34g or 59g of protein in one 8oz serving of protein shake! I tried the chocolate (they gave me a free sample) it was good but I bought the vanilla, they come in strawberry and banana flavored too. Also she told me its made with 3 types of Proteins that release at different times and keeps you fuller longer. They use it to make all their smoothies so it was worth a shot. Also it has 25 servings per container.

They have a smoothie bar there and the girl gave me some great ideas. Put in a blender with ice. The vanilla powder you can add fruits for flavor or even sugar free cocoa powder. The chocolate you can add 1 tsp of Peanut Butter or nutella! She said one customer puts raw oatmeal in the vanilla one and blends with ice.

I am about to make a shake now. I am still in the process of getting aproved fot the lapband but I want to start getting use to drinking these and I could stand to start losing some weight.

Hi everyone! :)

So I'm a freshman in college, a fresh crisp 18, and I am having a little trouble with my band. Or more specifically, with my protein. I love college and am having an absolute blast, but this campus is not made for the protein lover! I know that I am definitely not getting enough protein and I need some serious assistance.

I have lost 20 pounds since I came to school on August 25th, which is good, but the problem is that I have not been eating the right amount protein. I don't count it all, but I am 100% sure that I am protein deficient. I honestly try to find protein, especially in the dining hall (I have a meal plan) and I find that my options are limited. Generally in the cafeteria, I have three protein options. There is one place with usually some protein, but half the time it is fried, covered in some calorie-filled sauce, or just gross. There is another station where they "grill" you chicken. Great, right? Not. They basically pull this dry, awful tasting, brick-like piece of chicken out of a tin and put it on your plate. The third if yogurt, which is great, but it gets old. I have a little fridge in my room that I try to fill with healthy stuff, but I only have so much room! Right now, looking in my fridge as I type, I see tuna, cottage cheese, some fruit, some pickles and pepperocini, some light Baby Bell cheese, some diet margarine, and Diet Snapple. In my freezer I have some frozen fish filets (which I just cooked a batch of to eat for a while) and frozen GoGurts that I use for desserts (Try it sometime. It's actually pretty nice AND low cal.). I think it sounds pretty good in general, but my fridge is full!

The only plus I have found is that on campus there is this smoothie place that lists the amount of calories in every single one of their smoothies, and their Protein One has 25g of protein and about 250 calories. I'll sometimes get these in the mornings when my band is tight and I really don't feel like eating anything for a while. But other than those, I have yet to find a seriously good source of protein on campus. There is so much junk junk junk (Starbucks. My weakness.), but not enough healthy options. What do you all suggest I do? I do not have a lot of money to buy food because I'm in college, but I can't find anything to fill my protein needs! I HATE protein shakes with a passion and I don't want to have to resort to them for all my protein. I like food, and I wanna eat it!

Thank you all!

Elizabeth

Wow.... Elizabeth you have a lot on your plate... (by the way... Elizabeth is my fav. name). If it's with in your budget, GNC has this MuscleMeds CARNIVOR™- liquid Protein Shots - Power Punch about $30 for12 shots. It is great. Taste like fruit... sometimes i mix mine in a glass of Hawaiian punch. 50 grams. of Protein. The other 30 you will get thru out the day.... take it anytime of the day. I normally drink my coffee first and this loosens up my band and thin i chug the shot... Hope this help... Good luck with everything.

I just bought Protein powder at GNC called MyoFusion (cost $25 you most likely will get a student discount just ask) each scoop has 25g of Protein. You can make it yourself in a blender ball cup (i like to add ice) 147 calories you get 25g of protein so if you double up for 300 calories you get 50g of protein and it tastes good! If you could afford the calories add 8oz of fat free milk and you get another 9g of protein for a total of 34g or 59g of protein in one 8oz serving of protein shake! I tried the chocolate (they gave me a free sample) it was good but I bought the vanilla, they come in strawberry and banana flavored too. Also she told me its made with 3 types of Proteins that release at different times and keeps you fuller longer. They use it to make all their smoothies so it was worth a shot. Also it has 25 servings per container.

They have a smoothie bar there and the girl gave me some great ideas. Put in a blender with ice. The vanilla powder you can add fruits for flavor or even sugar free cocoa powder. The chocolate you can add 1 tsp of Peanut Butter or nutella! She said one customer puts raw oatmeal in the vanilla one and blends with ice.

I am about to make a shake now. I am still in the process of getting aproved fot the lapband but I want to start getting use to drinking these and I could stand to start losing some weight.

I don't have a blender! :'( Do you know if it's possible to make something without one?

Wow.... Elizabeth you have a lot on your plate... (by the way... Elizabeth is my fav. name). If it's with in your budget, GNC has this MuscleMeds CARNIVOR™- Liquid Protein Shots - Power Punch about $30 for12 shots. It is great. Taste like fruit... sometimes i mix mine in a glass of Hawaiian punch. 50 grams. of protein. The other 30 you will get thru out the day.... take it anytime of the day. I normally drink my coffee first and this loosens up my band and thin i chug the shot... Hope this help... Good luck with everything.

Are you SURE they taste good? These seem really appealing to me, actually. Every Protein Shake I've tried is so UGH and they pretty much make me sick. I like this. Only a few ounces with 50g. No blender required. Liking it. Banane01.gif

YES!!! They sell a bottle called a Blender Bottle at GNC for about 5-8 dollars. There is a metal ball inside of the bottles and you put the powder and water/ milk inside and shake it really well. Its fantastic because it blends really well and has the meausrements on the side. I just used mine to have the shake. So far I preferred the chocolate over the vanilla but still very easy to drink and not gritty.

I don't have a blender! :'( Do you know if it's possible to make something without one?

Are you SURE they taste good? These seem really appealing to me, actually. Every Protein shake I've tried is so UGH and they pretty much make me sick. I like this. Only a few ounces with 50g. No blender required. Liking it. Banane01.gif

Some other Protein that comes to mind....canned chicken breast to make chick salad, canned turkey chili, hard boiled eggs. Eggsland best makes a bag of eggs that are already hard boiled. Breakstone 2% cottage cheese containers which are 4 oz each and i think they have 11 g Protein, nut butters, hummus, greek yogurts. I know yoi said you dont lime protein powders buy body fortress (at walmart) is good. Mix with milk in thr shaker bottle and it tastes like choc milk.

J

A trick I've learned is to always have a Protein Bar in my purse (or backpack in your case!). You can get good Protein Bars cheap at Walmart or Target (I suggest Pure Protein or Luna Protein). I love having a protein bar on hand for when I'm starving and need something to hold me over, and to keep me from taking trips to the vending machine. A bag of mixed nuts would be good to keep on hand too (although they can get pricey). Does your campus have a salad bar? Usually salad bars are loaded with Proteins you can pile on your plate. Look for lunch meats, hard boiled eggs, nuts, cottage cheese, and other good proteins. If they have sunflower seeds top your salad with those instead of croutons! I know how frustrating it is, I worked at a food court on my college campus when I was in college and the food choices weren't always the greatest. Just keep in mind that your overall goal is to make healthier choices and you will be fine!

FYI Hamilton Beach makes a personal blender that only cost $15 at Walmart and Kmart. I used it presurgery because the mixing container was also a travel mug. Made things so much easier.

I like them.... you can buy just one and try it. So when i started my journey i purchased this small travel blender. It worked perfect. I still use it all the time. Also, sometimes if you go the a local health store, if you purchase their Protein Powder they will give you one of those cups with the metal ball in it... I personally don't care for it. i have at least 6 at home. I like the electric one because i like to blend in fruit and ice and yogurt (reg. not fat free) with my p.powder. but again i have to drink fast or i can forget it... after it warms up i throw it away. This is why the liq. shot works great for me. I know exactly what i got and what i still need to get.

31C3toRkiNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hamilton Beach 51101B Personal Blender with Travel Lid, Black

by Hamilton Beach 3.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (344 customer reviews) |Like(69)List Price:$21.99Price:$15.44