Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excessive acid reflux

I had my last refill oct 2010. Beging having heart burn in marc, my surgeon prescribed prilosec 40mg. In June, I beggan waking up at night w/ discharge coming out of my nose & mouth.. Went to my pcp & got diagnosed w/ acute allergic reaction. Got whole bunch of meds & still was having the same problem.

Got admitted in august 2 days w/ pneumonia. I still continued with the same problem.. It affected my sinus, throat & lungs.. I finally went to an ENT who discovered this is all due to escessive acid reflux.. He has me on antibotics, stronger acid reflux meds, inhaler & steroids..

I'm waiting for my surgeon to call me to see if I need my band to be checked..so, if any one is having thsese symptoms, dont ignored them, like I did for so long..see your surgeon!!!!

I had my last refill oct 2010. Beging having heart burn in marc, my surgeon prescribed prilosec 40mg. In June, I beggan waking up at night w/ discharge coming out of my nose & mouth.. Went to my pcp & got diagnosed w/ acute allergic reaction. Got whole bunch of meds & still was having the same problem.

Got admitted in august 2 days w/ pneumonia. I still continued with the same problem.. It affected my sinus, throat & lungs.. I finally went to an ENT who discovered this is all due to escessive acid reflux.. He has me on antibotics, stronger acid reflux meds, inhaler & steroids..

I'm waiting for my surgeon to call me to see if I need my band to be checked..so, if any one is having thsese symptoms, dont ignored them, like I did for so long..see your surgeon!!!!

Thank you for your post. I am having the same problems. I am awakened at night with Fluid in my mouth or coming from my nose. I have to cough to clear it up and it is a pain to deal with. I have not had a fill in over 2 years so this condition is hard to figure out.

Guys with these symptoms must see a surgeon and possibly need some fixing.

I think many of us have had this problem. I was warned by a former bander that the band caused fungus to grow in her lungs. Here's what I've learrned through trail and error.......don't eat a heavy meal after 7 pm. This may be really hard for most folks, but after my 3rd bout of pneunomia in 1 year I learned, again, how to change my life style to fit my band. I don't want to remove my band or decrease the amount of Fluid in my band. I don't have any problems with acid reflux or heartburn during the day - only if I eat and lay down within 1-3 hours after eating a big meal - and by big, I mean half of a jr. burger with the top bun removed and 10 french fries.

So, I have my biggest or heavest meal at lunch and just a light salad and yogurt for dinner.

Anyone else find something that works for them? I'd love to hear any suggestions!

I think many of us have had this problem. I was warned by a former bander that the band caused fungus to grow in her lungs. Here's what I've learrned through trail and error.......don't eat a heavy meal after 7 pm. This may be really hard for most folks, but after my 3rd bout of pneunomia in 1 year I learned, again, how to change my life style to fit my band. I don't want to remove my band or decrease the amount of Fluid in my band. I don't have any problems with acid reflux or heartburn during the day - only if I eat and lay down within 1-3 hours after eating a big meal - and by big, I mean half of a jr. burger with the top bun removed and 10 french fries.

So, I have my biggest or heavest meal at lunch and just a light salad and yogurt for dinner.

Anyone else find something that works for them? I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Howdybooth,

I have stop eating by 6pm & go to bed @ 10-11. I still get reflux when I try to go to sleep. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wed. It's a nightmare.. I don't want to remove my band either but, if he has to remove fliud so, that I don't get any more teflux, am up for it!! I want to be able to sleep w/o stuff coming out of my nose & mouth.. Thanks for your information.

Howdybooth,

I have stop eating by 6pm & go to bed @ 10-11. I still get reflux when I try to go to sleep. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wed. It's a nightmare.. I don't want to remove my band either but, if he has to remove fliud so, that I don't get any more teflux, am up for it!! I want to be able to sleep w/o stuff coming out of my nose & mouth.. Thanks for your information.

I did have 1/2 a cc removed in Jan 2011 and another 1/2 in March and no more problems. But I had gotten carless and last week i went back and had 1/2 a cc put back in and bang - acid reflux and today - pneunomia! I always have to learn the hard way! LOL

So, maybe removing some of youe Fluid will help stop the cycle. My GP today told me he could give a an acid reducer, but that it wouldn't really stop the reflux, just the amount of buring acid. The problem with that is you need the acid to control the bacteria - catch 22! Less acid, but still a great chance of reflux and a bigger chance of bacterial pneunomia! I'll work through this some how. My friend lost 186 lbs with the band and her band is 5 years old (she had the surgery in Mexico). It recently developed a leak at the port and she went back to Mexico to have it fixed, but in the mean time, she has gained 50 pounds in about 4-5 months! So this band is never coming out of my body! :)

Please let me know how you progress through this!

I did have 1/2 a cc removed in Jan 2011 and another 1/2 in March and no more problems. But I had gotten carless and last week i went back and had 1/2 a cc put back in and bang - acid reflux and today - pneunomia! I always have to learn the hard way! LOL

So, maybe removing some of youe Fluid will help stop the cycle. My GP today told me he could give a an acid reducer, but that it wouldn't really stop the reflux, just the amount of buring acid. The problem with that is you need the acid to control the bacteria - catch 22! Less acid, but still a great chance of reflux and a bigger chance of bacterial pneunomia! I'll work through this some how. My friend lost 186 lbs with the band and her band is 5 years old (she had the surgery in Mexico). It recently developed a leak at the port and she went back to Mexico to have it fixed, but in the mean time, she has gained 50 pounds in about 4-5 months! So this band is never coming out of my body! :)

Please let me know how you progress through this!

Hi Howdybooth,

I went to my surgeon today and he removed 2cc. I was at 9. He wants to see my in six weeks to start adding it back. He wants my esophagus to heal from the acid reflux.. I hope this will help me sleep at night :-)

I'm going to the doc tomorrow to have some Fluid removed. I have struggled with this for months. I did the same thing last year and had 1 cc taken out and it solved the problem. I didn't have a refill, so I don't know why I started with the heartburn and reflux... I'm stressing about the lack of restriction and then forced myself to suffer with this dang reflux...but I need to get it fixed. And I need to eat right so I don't gain more.

Hi Sula, wow, so you got acid reflux again w/o having a fill. OMG, so that means, I could have it again. This is very disappointing; I had a real bad time when I had it. I feel much better now that I had 2cc removed. I don't know if & when am going back to get a refill. If I have to go through acid reflux again, then I don't want refills. Good luck tomorrow, hope you feel better.

My acid reflux is frustrating. It doesn't bother me for a couple of weeks and then it comes on for a couple of days, waking me up in the middle of the night.

I have had this problem too. You need to get an unfill ASAP! Coughing up Fluid from your lungs is a very bad sign of being too tight. Stress can cause swelling around your band and make a perfect fill into a miserable situation. Get an unfill, wait for the swelling to go down and refill tiny bits at a time, that is the only thing that worked for me.

Yes, I did have 2cc removed a couple of weeks ago & the reflux is gone. I still feel heart burn sometimes but, I feel 100% better. I will have refills done slowly like you adviced. I don't want to go through what I went through this past summer. Thank you.

have you had any of the fill removed? That will help you. It helped me a lot :-) good luck!