Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 7 days post op and have lost 20lbs in the last week, in addition, to the full liquid diet 2 weeks pre op. My stomach/port do not hurt much, however, my shoulder pain has been unbearable at times. The pain meds cause Constipation and I am pretty queezy most of the time and I'm wondering if it has to do with my blood sugar. Not diabetic, however, I'm sure I was well on my way!

Supposed to be on a liquid diet - Protein Shakes, Soup, Jello...all of which I am so sick of and I honestly dont think I was getting enough nutrition. I was light headed, queezy, and just felt like laying down. Too much air in the Protein shakes. I'm supposed to be on this full liquid diet for another week but I've gradually started adding some foods. Flaked fish and chicken, cottage cheese, mashed sweet potatoes. Have any of you rushed things along? I'll admit I feel better with a bit more protein but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. By no means am I eating candy bars, cake or any other sweets but I still feel guilty. Normal?

Your thoughts?

I felt the same way and did the same as you did and continue doing the same, my surgery was the 4th I am 12 post op. I was suppose to be on liquids for 3 weeks but it was impossible I got to a point that I cried because I was starving my follow up appt is tomorrow will let my Doctor know tomorrow will let u know what she says... Good luck

I'm 7 days post op and have lost 20lbs in the last week, in addition, to the full liquid diet 2 weeks pre op. My stomach/port do not hurt much, however, my shoulder pain has been unbearable at times. The pain meds cause Constipation and I am pretty queezy most of the time and I'm wondering if it has to do with my blood sugar. Not diabetic, however, I'm sure I was well on my way!

Supposed to be on a liquid diet - Protein shakes, Soup, Jello...all of which I am so sick of and I honestly dont think I was getting enough nutrition. I was light headed, queezy, and just felt like laying down. Too much air in the Protein Shakes. I'm supposed to be on this full liquid diet for another week but I've gradually started adding some foods. Flaked fish and chicken, cottage cheese, mashed sweet potatoes. Have any of you rushed things along? I'll admit I feel better with a bit more Protein but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. By no means am I eating candy bars, cake or any other sweets but I still feel guilty. Normal?

Your thoughts?

This is a big concern fo rme. I'm having my surgery tomorrow and wonder what I will be feeling week too. Great weight loss for you! Hope I'm as successful as you. Have you tried adding some added Protein powder- maybe some sort of unflavored stuff that you could add to your liquids?

Best of luck!

Supposed to be on a liquid diet - Protein shakes, Soup, Jello...all of which I am so sick of and I honestly dont think I was getting enough nutrition. I was light headed, queezy, and just felt like laying down. Too much air in the Protein Shakes. I'm supposed to be on this full liquid diet for another week but I've gradually started adding some foods. Flaked fish and chicken, cottage cheese, mashed sweet potatoes. Have any of you rushed things along? I'll admit I feel better with a bit more protein but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. By no means am I eating candy bars, cake or any other sweets but I still feel guilty. Normal?

Your thoughts?

I can tell you what I was told. Your weight loss was probably just water

because you were filled up for surgery to prevent dehydration. Your

shoulder pain may be gas from surgery, and Constipation is

usually caused by not enough Water in your diet at this stage.

If you're taking your Vitamins, your diet will give you enough

nutrition and the lightheadedness is just your body healing.

If you're feeling more fatigue than you think you should be, I was

told to place a Vitamin B12 tablet under my tongue (sublingual),

You really should be following your diet. I know it's hard, but you

need to heal and that takes a month, or so. If you really think

your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about, maybe you need

to talk to someone else. I know this seem harsh, but give yourself

a chance. Of course chicken tastes better than Protein Shakes. but

you could easily damage your new surgery, so please, for your own

sake, go back to your diet and I hope you make a success of this,

it's really up to you. Best of luck.

My doctor/nutritionist had me on liquids for five days, then creamy liquids for seven days. (includes thin mashed potatoes, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.) At my week check up I asked him if I could have an egg. He said yes. I have tried to stay on the puree'd portion of the program, but, have been eating soft chicken, rice and vegetables. I just chew it well.

As far as the shoulder pain, had that too! The doctor told me it had to do with the hernia repair. It has gotten better!

Im on day 6 Post Op and I am just now getting hungry and the liquid diet is getting old and I need more! My DR appt is later today so I will see what he says. I too feel as though I dont have much energy and after doing some walking and family stuff I am tired. Still I am very happy about the future!

My surgeon had me on a 2 week liquid diet pre-op, and 1 week liquid post-op. At my 1 week post op appointment he told me to go on to soft proteins! I had things like eggs, fish, and rotisserie chicken. I am 3 1/2 months out now and I'm only allowed milk, veggies and a bit of fruit for my carbs. He is very strict about low carb. No bread, rice, potato, Pasta, or Cereal for me!:( Not even whole grain. I do think this has helped me tremendously with cravings. The carb hunger cycle has been broken! lol

I'm on day 8 post-op and soooo tired of this liquid diet. I was on it 2 weeks pre-surgery and supposed to do 2 weeks post-surgery, but tonight I had some chicken and veggies. I couldn't take the hunger anymore. I just made sure to chew really well and time myself to 30 minutes to eat. So far, everything feels fine and I'm satisfied with 1 cup of food. I really don't understand the purpose of a 2 week liquid post-surgery diet. I have a follow up appt next Monday and well talk to my doctor about it. dinner is the only time I do this. The rest of the day, I stick to the liquid diet.

Good luck to everyone on this journey.

I am 5 days post op. I also had bad shoulder pains. I have had my share of hospitals. I used Smooth Move. It is a tea I buy at the health food store. On day 2 I drank a cup at bedtime. after the next days BM I felt much better.

If you have never used this tea drink it weak. Make a normal cup and add 3 or 4 cups Water. Only drink one 8 oz cup at night.

Now I drink a cup every night.

Hey

I am 13 days post op. I also felt super weak from being on just Protein shakes for a week and felt lightheaded/dizzyness and what you describe. All my literature says that the whole purpose of the liquid diet is to do 2 things: 1- accelerate weight loss, and 2- allow the stomach to heal.

At my one week post op appt with my surgeon I discussed all my concerns and he said it was fine to start on pureed stuff. He even recommended that I could chop up a chicken breast and throw it into soup! I was so shocked! I was like so chunks are ok? (in my diet paperwork it said I could only have strained cream Soups at this stage). He said depends on the size of the chunk- but yes.

What I did was took some cooked chicken and chopped it in a food chopper and added it to soup- It was awesome! and way more filling than a Protein shake. My surgeon also said cottage cheese was ok.

So my surgeon said 7 days post op mushy things were ok and that finely chopped chicken in Soup was ok.

I don't think you will hinder your recovery- as long as you take at slow and make sure your food is finely chopped or chew well. Take it super slow and nothing to drink for at least 30 mins post eating.

I don't know if its rushing things along... I agree the stomach needs time to heal but after a whole week of liquids as long as you aren't in pain and aren't vommitting I think adding foods like Flaked fish and chicken, cottage cheese, mashed sweet potatoes should be ok.

Stop and go back to liquids if you start vomiting, feel bad heartburn or get a stuck feeling.

I also felt a little guilty for not waiting the suggested full 3 weeks of just liquids. However, I try to keep at least one meal full liquids so that I am not overdoing it.

Hope that helps/answers your questions

Good luck!

Hey

I am 13 days post op. I also felt super weak from being on just Protein shakes for a week and felt lightheaded/dizzyness and what you describe. All my literature says that the whole purpose of the liquid diet is to do 2 things: 1- accelerate weight loss, and 2- allow the stomach to heal.

At my one week post op appt with my surgeon I discussed all my concerns and he said it was fine to start on pureed stuff. He even recommended that I could chop up a chicken breast and throw it into soup! I was so shocked! I was like so chunks are ok? (in my diet paperwork it said I could only have strained cream Soups at this stage). He said depends on the size of the chunk- but yes.

What I did was took some cooked chicken and chopped it in a food chopper and added it to soup- It was awesome! and way more filling than a Protein shake. My surgeon also said cottage cheese was ok.

So my surgeon said 7 days post op mushy things were ok and that finely chopped chicken in Soup was ok.

I don't think you will hinder your recovery- as long as you take at slow and make sure your food is finely chopped or chew well. Take it super slow and nothing to drink for at least 30 mins post eating.

I don't know if its rushing things along... I agree the stomach needs time to heal but after a whole week of liquids as long as you aren't in pain and aren't vommitting I think adding foods like Flaked fish and chicken, cottage cheese, mashed sweet potatoes should be ok.

Stop and go back to liquids if you start vomiting, feel bad heartburn or get a stuck feeling.

I also felt a little guilty for not waiting the suggested full 3 weeks of just liquids. However, I try to keep at least one meal full liquids so that I am not overdoing it.

Hope that helps/answers your questions

Good luck!

Thanks for posting this. My stomach was actually hurting from hunger at 7 days post op. I ate some cottage cheese and was afraid I was hurting myself, but I felt no pain and it stopped the hunger. I have also ate some chicken and veggies (chewed well) and felt no pain. I just could not handle on more Protein Shake or sugar free Jello. I'm currently 9 days post op and am still drinking my broths and soups at meals, but I do eat some cottage cheese, tuna, or chicken in the evenings when I'm truly hungry. My first post-op appt is Monday and I'l be happy to leave those shakes behind (for the most part). I don't mind them for Breakfast or Snacks, but they definitely don't work well as meals.