Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yikes! 2 weeks post banding and excited and scared I get to start mushies now. Im not sure what to expect. Ive been drinking slowly my shakes and Water. On rare occasion I've gulped and not felt anything. Not sure if that means I feel no restriction?? Also scared I will stop losing (20 lbs in 2 weeks).

So anyway my questions are: what can I expect? Will I know if I'm going too fast too soon? How did you all handle this big transition? Did any of you gain or stop losing when you started mushies?

Thanks in advance! This board is amazing :)

I found the transition easy, but still could only eat a few spoonfuls of anything at one time, so I had several small meals each day. Now that I am about to go on to solids and able to eat anything, my meals are larger but I am still not hungry and only eat 3 meals a day and 1 snack late afternoon to hold me til dinner. I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I have consistantly lost since my surgery. I had about three days of a stall once, but I think it was from too much sodium, chicken boullion, and I quickly went back to losing when I stopped drinking it. I was banded on Sept 14, three and half weeks ago and have lost about 16 pounds in that time not including my weight loss on the preop.

It's still a healing stage. So,,, anything is possible. I liked mashed potatoes with gravy. I would do 1/2 cup pot., and 1/4 cup Gravy.

Go to myfitnesspal.com its free.

It will record your calorie intake, and Protein.

You can also see what your burning up in calories for walking, housekeeping, or working out.

This is a tool, to help you work your tool.

Give it a chance, and look into it.

Shirley.;)

i agree myfitness pal is the best thing to help track. you can over eat calories on mushies measure everything out. I was 4 week post op until i felt hungry so transition was not hard. I still don’t have restriction yet 8 weeks out so my challenge is pushing away and to stop myself . i did plateau a bit when i went to mushies and then solids but exercise helped me over the plateau.

I'm still on my liquid stage and when I try to have Jello I feel it come up. Not sure if I'm just not pacing myself....Im kinda worried about mushies too. Definitely something to get used too.

Onmyway, did your dr give you a timeline on when to change to the next stage? Mine was liquids for 1 wk (2 if needed) then 1 week mushies then 1 week soft then the next week regular food. I didnt switch all my food when i advanced to the next stage. Example--i still did all liquids but added some greek yogurt one day. Then maybe the next added sf pudding. Just go slow and try new foods. You cant not advance bc you are afraid of a stall or gain. You are healing!! That should be your focus. I was weighing myself daily or everyother day and i decided once a week only!! Right now i am just focusing on making good food choices, eating when im hungry and walking. Oh btw--best mushy meal ever some ricotta cheese topped with marinara baked then sprinkled with mozz cheese. Oh my goodness. So good. Beats a cup of chicken broth any day!!

J

Banded 9/22

I am on mushies and have been for almost 5 weeks. My diets go in stages. I went from Clear Liquids to full liquids and now on mushies, next stage will be solid food which will be my permanent diet. I was really excited about eating mushies but when I got there fear set in. Just make sure you chew everything really well until it gets to a liquid consistency. Thats what my surgeon said anyways. I started with potatoes. That didn't go well. It just felt too heavy for me. It's ok now. There are a lot of good mushy meal ideas in the food and nutrition section of this site. It helped a lot. I had to wait 4 weeks to have ground meat other than that the only meat I could have was fish. I love fish, but it gets old after awhile. Good luck!!