Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just checking in with my September buddies. Tomorrow will be 8 months since surgery, and I'm trying hard to stop focusing on the number that I see on the scale... and Celebrate the victories so far. I think the past two months have been the hardest mentally, as I struggle to push on and get to goal. My weight loss has slowed down significantly and I am finding it harder to avoid a little of this and a little of that. It makes it really hard when everyone is telling you how great you look and how much weight you've lost. I worry that I'll get complacent and just stick right here at this weight, and not get to where I really want to be.

I am curious ~ have most of you told coworkers, family, friends about your surgery? I haven't shared it with many and I'm just curious how you feel about sharing the information with others.

I haven't told many people at all. A handful of friends, my mom and my husband. My kids don't even know! I'm grateful I didn't. I don't want to feel like I'm under a microscope. My weight loss has been slow and no matter what people will be incline to think I took the "easy" way out. When people ask I say "I'm working my butt off" which is true! I work out every morning at 5:30am at the gym and walk 5 miles a day on the weekend. I'm still struggling with food but I'm tracking and measuring etc. I even joined weight watchers again. Didnt think I would need that. . The band has been a tool but it certainly hasn't been as easy as I had hoped. I've only lost about 25 lbs since sept. and my band is pretty full. In total counting pre op diet I'm down 50. I had hoped for more but I will take it!

I took the opposite approach. I really thought it over. I know the discouragement I felt when I would see someone who lost a lot of weight and the response when asked about it was "oh I just eat less and excerise!". I would feel sad wondering why I just couldn't do that. Well I didn't want to inflict that feeling in others who struggle. So when I am asked I tell them I have a band! It usually leads to questions and an opportunity to explain what it is and then people see it isn't the easy way out. And most over weight people have considered it themselves. So most of my friends and family know. I am 60 pounds down with mainly just a change in eating habits. I start with a personal trainer tomorrow to start working on toning.

I prefer not to give "interviews" about the band. Only - my family, my doctor and one extremely overweight friend, who recently did sleeve gastrectomy, because she just can't stand any competition know. Now she is melting, as a snowman in April, and I am the one who is jealous. Sometimes think: I should have done something more radical than the band.

On other hand - I am 90 lbs down and hope for more.

Unfortunatelly I work in a clinic , not where I was operated at, but still.

They have probably looked in my chart not once already, all pre-op things were there. And medical records department is the most nosy one, so my basic patient's right for confidentiality is ruined.... It sucks, everyone plays the game- I do not tell them anything, they look in my eyes, and pretend they don't know. May be this is the reason why I am now so irritated when someone at work says that I look different, younger or have lost a lot of weight etc.. Just drives me crazy.

As for the weight loss- slow-slow-slow. Like going down the stairs with the long rest at each step.

But I am not good girl. Completely lost interest in healthy foods, fruits and veggies and compensate it with hummus, cheese, chocolate, pine nuts, etc. All that is loaded with calories.

BY THE WAY= I have just discovered very good Snacks.

Bariatric Advantage makes crisps and bars that are good- different flavors like sun-dried Tomato, white cheddar, BBq, etc, that I hope they will replace all garbage that I eat. Just got some. I could not find any bariatric food that will not have vanilla, or chocolate, of chicken flavor, and will not be sweet. I hate advertising of any kind, just wanted to share

Hi all. I was banded 9/19/11. After surgery i lost 15lbs and then when i was able to eat food, well, i gained it back and then some. It's been 8 months and i've been hovering within a 5 lb range. So, basically, i have not lost a stitch with the band. I've been going in for fills periodically. I feel restriction and have vomited mostly when i ate too fast. I went for a fill this morning and am hoping i'll feel a difference and will finally feel the restriction and fullness and start losting! It's very frustrating.

As far as telling anyone. The only people who know are my parents, sister and husband. I find that there is a general negative reaction and jealousy to those who have had weight loss surgery. I was at a get together the other night and an aquaintance who was standing next to me leaned into me while pointing at another acquaintance saying "there's another one who joined band land". And it was said with such a sneer!! And, this person is thin, so it didn't come from jealousy over weight. People generally see surgery as a cop out and don't realize how terribly difficult it is and how much work is involved in doing the right things.

That is why i have not told anyone. Now, i havent shown significant weight loss at all so no one suspects, but at some point, when i do lost weight, it should be interesting.

Nowadays, with more exposure about weight loss surgery and with more people getting the band, others are very skeptical when they see a person who struggled to lose weight for so many years and is suddenly thinner and keeping it off.

need2lose2_

We were banded the same day.

How much do you have in your band ?

Probably it's not tight enough, otherwise you would loose more than 5 lbs.

You used the most exact word - jealousy. I feel the same way - nosy questions, "friendly"( not really- just a mask) comments,now more than ever they are enthusiastic in bringing me the cake, or pizza))) and then watching if I am eating it..and much do I eat. It's like a circus show- "feed the tiger" :) Now I am under 8-hour surveilance and monitoring by my collegues.

Did anyone feel like this:

all over suddenthe band tightens ( without the fill), and then after few days becomes loose again ?

And it is not what you eat, how fast you eat. Same food, same time of the day, same tempr. of food, same " speed".

need2lose2_

We were banded the same day.

How much do you have in your band ?

Probably it's not tight enough, otherwise you would loose more than 5 lbs.

You used the most exact word - jealousy. I feel the same way - nosy questions, "friendly"( not really- just a mask) comments,now more than ever they are enthusiastic in bringing me the cake, or pizza))) and then watching if I am eating it..and much do I eat. It's like a circus show- "feed the tiger" :) Now I am under 8-hour surveilance and monitoring by my collegues.

I currently have 9.5 in my 11cc band. Yep, it's pretty up there. The PA is not that concerned and explains that every single person is different. While one can have 4 cc in the band and be tight, the next person can have 10cc be tight there. So, we'll see what happens after my fill yesterday. If i eat too fast, i get stuck but if i eat slowly, i can pretty much get through a meal and then some. My nut says it's possible my pouch is stretched but it will only be a concern if i get filled to the band's capacity. G-D, i really hope it's not that. I mean it's not like i've been great with following protocol but i will be so upset if i have to start all over and have the band emptied.

Did anyone feel like this:

all over suddenthe band tightens ( without the fill), and then after few days becomes loose again ?

And it is not what you eat, how fast you eat. Same food, same time of the day, same tempr. of food, same " speed".

I asked the PA that question yesterday. Some days i can eat a meal with no problem while other days when i eat the same meal, i have to go slower. She explained that no meal is the same even if you're eating the same thing. You may be chewing more one time over the other, or the consistency of the food is a bit different, or the bites may not be the same, etc etc.

Hello Fellow Sept bandsters! I've had a huge setback in my journey. Saturday I was at a friends house swimming in her above ground pool and fell off the ladder while getting out. The fall dislocated my right ankle and broke two bones in it as well. I have to have surgery Thursday morning to try and repair the damage. The doctor said I am looking at a 5 month or more recovery period plus a lifetime of arthritis in that ankle. He gave me the impression that I will be wearing a cast for that recovery time and then will have to do physical therapy. I'm so discouraged. Walking and bike riding have been my exercise since being banded and now I won't be able to do either for quite a while. I've been looking for some forms of exercise that I can do from a sitting position but I won't be able to get any form of cardio in until the cast comes off. I also have to get totally unfilled for the surgery in case any problems arise during it. I'll be able to get a fill fairly soon afterwards but until I do I am going to have to rely on my will power to at least maintain the weight I've lost. I know this is just a bump in the road of my weight loss journey, but it's still got me down a bit. I'm praying for a speedy recovery!

Sharilo - So sorry to hear of your accident. You look awesome, so keep up the good work, and don't give up! I had a severe sprain in my ankle when I was in Jr. High, and I still have problems with that ankle today. It doesn't hold me back, but every now and again it decides to punish me.

Speaking from experience, your attitude about your success is everything. About a decade ago I started one of my many attempts to lose weight, and had a significant amount of success. Then, I woke up late for work one morning, and sprung out of bed. I ran to the stairs, where my ankle gave out and I fell down the entire filight of stairs. I wound up in the ER, and was put crutches for several weeks while it healed. Instead of keeping my focus on my goal, I felt sorry for myself, and used the injury to jusitify the bad choices that I made. All the weight came back and more, and I've got no one but myself to blame. What I've learned is that I have to own my choices, and I can't let excuses derail me. You've come this far - you can do it. If you need some support, we're here to help! Even if you're not able to loose weight - maintaining your weight will be a victory.

As for exercise, no doubt you'll be unable to do that for a bit. Check with your dr. - you may be able to do some Water aerobics after the first couple of weeks - even in a cast. I had foot surgery a few years ago, and was in a cast. They did let me do water aerobics with a cast protector. It was basically a big bag made out of really heavy rubbery plastic, with a band placed just below the knee to keep the water out. I'd tell them about your drs. about your concerns, and they may have better suggestions than I do. They may even be able to give you a prescription for a health plex type work out center, where they've got specialized equipment for your upper body.

Good luck, and keep us posted! I'll send positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Hi Everyone! I'm Jason and I'd like to join the group.

Here's the twist. I was banded in December 2009. Issue is that it was completely devoid of any saline and was never filled until 2 days ago. The surgeon believed waiting 6 months before the first fill and in that time I lost my job and also my insurance.

I'm thankful that I found a new job last summer and I love it, but it's a small company and the insurance covers NOTHING regarding the lap bands, not fills, not the doctor's visit, not even the cup of Water they give you when you walk out the door.

So, I'm finally filled. I have the "big" lap band (14cc's I think) and he put 5.5 cc's in there under a fluroscope. He said with that, I should feel very uncomfortable if I continue to eat like I've been.

2 nights before I went to a Sushi buffet and closed the place down. I've had ZERO restriction and could eat unlimited amounts of anything. Right now I'm on yogurt and pudding and tomorrow I can start with blended stuff. (or just scrambled eggs since there's NO WAY I'm blending food)

Sad thing is that the day of surgery I weiged 290. The post op, mostly liquid and no carb diet brought me down to 251 at my lowest in March 2010.

As of 2 days ago I was 319. That's a gain of 68 pounds since surgery. Needless to say, I'm ashamed. I've been able to save up over the last year and have found a new surgon who will take credit cards so I'm paying for follow up myself. This is motivator #2 or 3 for me.

So for all intents and purposes, it's like I was just banded but worse because I don't remember the protocol very well. I found a new surgeon. I finally have Fluid in my band, and I'm scared to death of what lies ahead. The new sugeon's support groups start up again in 3 weeks so this site is all I've got.

Please adopt me. smile.gif

...and.... if anyone can tell me if oatmeal and or cream of wheat is a "heavy liquid" or a "mushie", that would be awesome.

If anyone has any threads that are favorites, please let me know those too.

I have to succeed. I'm 36 years old, fat, diabetic. have apnea and a 3 year old daughter I want to be around for.

Help....please.

Thanks

Jason

Hi Everyone! I'm Jason and I'd like to join the group.

Here's the twist. I was banded in December 2009. Issue is that it was completely devoid of any saline and was never filled until 2 days ago. The surgeon believed waiting 6 months before the first fill and in that time I lost my job and also my insurance.

I'm thankful that I found a new job last summer and I love it, but it's a small company and the insurance covers NOTHING regarding the lap bands, not fills, not the doctor's visit, not even the cup of water they give you when you walk out the door.

So, I'm finally filled. I have the "big" lap band (14cc's I think) and he put 5.5 cc's in there under a fluroscope. He said with that, I should feel very uncomfortable if I continue to eat like I've been.

2 nights before I went to a Sushi buffet and closed the place down. I've had ZERO restriction and could eat unlimited amounts of anything. Right now I'm on yogurt and pudding and tomorrow I can start with blended stuff. (or just scrambled eggs since there's NO WAY I'm blending food)

Sad thing is that the day of surgery I weiged 290. The post op, mostly liquid and no carb diet brought me down to 251 at my lowest in March 2010.

As of 2 days ago I was 319. That's a gain of 68 pounds since surgery. Needless to say, I'm ashamed. I've been able to save up over the last year and have found a new surgon who will take credit cards so I'm paying for follow up myself. This is motivator #2 or 3 for me.

So for all intents and purposes, it's like I was just banded but worse because I don't remember the protocol very well. I found a new surgeon. I finally have fluid in my band, and I'm scared to death of what lies ahead. The new sugeon's support groups start up again in 3 weeks so this site is all I've got.

Please adopt me. smile.gif

...and.... if anyone can tell me if oatmeal and or cream of wheat is a "heavy liquid" or a "mushie", that would be awesome.

If anyone has any threads that are favorites, please let me know those too.

I have to succeed. I'm 36 years old, fat, diabetic. have apnea and a 3 year old daughter I want to be around for.

Help....please.

Thanks

Jason

Hope u have better luck this time and now since u got a fill u should do great

Thanks Pugsx3! I hadn't thought about Water aerobics. That's a great idea and I'm sure I'll be able to do that at some point sooner than I'll be able to walk on my own again.

Hi Sept 2011 bandsters!

Just checking in. Have hit 60 lbs gone!

Going crazy buying new clothes. Went to family picnic last week and my friends screamed when they saw me. Ran around telling everyone that I lost 60 lbs. Verrry proud!

Still on my journey and rate of loss has (naturally!) Slowed but as my therapist says if its going down (OR STAYING THE SAMEON DIFFICULT WEEKS) its all good! Have about 20 more pounds to go and I know I will get there (even if I dont exactly know when!) Eventually. Its all good!

Lisa in a hot NYC.

Forgot to add. Finally went to a good bra store and got measured. Have gone from 42ddd to 38d. Bought three much too expensive bras. The girls look great!!