Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded Feb 20th!

Hey everyone,

I am getting banded on Feb, 20th and I have so much anxiety about it. I want to get this done, but I have read so much about infections, port pain, slippage, and thats only to name a few. I am really nervous, excited...but nervous. I go Feb 8th to have my pre-op appointment, I guess this is where they will put me on the 2 week pre-op diet. Is it really all liquids? Will someone post back with some insight as to what is a normal experience and calm my nerves some. I have had to take sleeping pills b/c I get so worked up thinking about everything at night. Don't get me wrong I want to do this, I just am a little scared!!

I am having Dr Charles Morton do my surgery in Nashville, TN!

Current weight: 210 lbs Height: 5'4 :omg:

Hi-

I am also getting banded on February 20th. My pre-op is on Feb 10th and I will have 10 days of liquids. My list for liquids includes things like slim fast, carnation instant Breakfast, and clear broth. My surgeon also told me that crunchy veggies w/o dressing are ok too if I need to "chew" on something.

I am excited and nervous too!

My DR has not given me my diet yet....I guess I will get that when I go in on the 8th. We will have to keep in touch since we are getting it on the same day. Good luck!

The nurses and techs you'll see during your pre-op on Feb 8 should answer all of your questions. The dietician told us to start a high Protein low carb NO SUGAR liquid diet (they provided the diet and list of instructions) 7 days before surgery. Relax until the 8th and take everything you read with a grain of salt. I try to remember that this is an individual journey and that not everyone has the same results. I too am scared, but mainly excited. Good luck to you and don't forget to breath and enjoy the scenery along the way.

I just got banded on Tuesday and honestly, I wish I had done it MONTHS ago! I've heard somewhere about an 80/20% rule -- most people spend 80% of their fear and worry about the surgery and 20% worrying about life after the surgery and meanwhile it should be the other way around! I just made the decision that I couldn't fight this fight anymore and just put my faith in God and in my great doctors (Dr. Rumbaut). Sure, liquids aren't the best but it's really not that bad. I've certainly eaten enough food in my life to be able to go a few weeks. I'm almost sick of food!!!! THe pain sucked on the first night and then it's really amazing how much it went away. I was up and walking the first night and feeling really good 48 hours later. I'm still sore at the port-site but honestly, I just keep thinking about the fact that I really COULD BE SKINNY for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!! That's the best inspiration there is! Don't be scared of the surgery. Changing your life is much more scary but IMHO it's never too late if you believe in yourself! Good luck!

As you can tell from the other responses, the pre-op diet varies greatly from surgeon to surgeon. I was on liquids for 7 days pre-op. It was a loooooong 7 days, but I lost a lot of weight! :)

I don't think you'd be normal if you weren't a little nervous before surgery. After all, it's... surgery, lol. Yes, there are complications, but they occur in a small minority of patients. I know it can be hard to read about the problems that do occur, and of course you should take that them into account, but most bandsters are doing fine. My experience has been great so far at 6 months out.

Good luck to everyone with your surgeries!

Oh and I just saw about the sleeping pills! You poor thing! Seriously, DO NOT WORRY! It will be fine. In most countries it's not even a big deal. People get it done all the time in Europe and it's barely considered major surgery. I noticed that I definitely pigged out prior to my surgery though -- sort of the "last meal syndrome". Just relax, and focus on the fact that you could be 100 pounds lighter this time next year! I know that's almost hard to imagine, but do it! Life is too short for fear and sellf-hate. You will be absolutely fine!

GOOD LUCK to both & all of you in FEB! The 20th is a magical day in my eyes- so I just know that angels will be watching over everyone in FEB!!!!

Thanks Everyone....you have given me a better feeling about surgery. I have slept good the last 2 nights now without sleeping pills...so I think I am doing better. I have experienced the "every meal is my last" every since I got my approval.....I have to stop that! I will end up gaining 10 more pounds before I go in for surgery. Well....I start the Pre-op diet on Feb 9th....soooooooo we will see. I have alot of support so I think it will be OK. I will keep in touch!

Conratulations and Felicitations!

Welcome to LBT!!

All the Docs are different. My Doc put me on SouthBeach Diet phase 1 for 10 days. Today is the last day of my pre-op diet!

I'll post and let you know how the whole surgery thing goes.

:]