Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Consult with Plastic Surgeon--Lapband questions to ask

I go for a consult for a full body lift on Monday to see a plastic surgeon. Can anyone tell me if there are specific questions I should ask related to the lapband? I've seen some people say they had their's repositioned so exactly what question(s) should I ask? Any advice is appreciated!

Hi:

I would ask if your surgeon can tighten your stomach muscles with the port in it's current position or not. If not, I would request having it moved and what that would entail. You may have to get your lapband surgeon to attend and assist with that part of the surgery.

There are alot of plastic surgery questions I would ask that are unrelated to the band, though I don't think you asked about that. Let me know if you'd like to know.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

I go for a consult for a full body lift on Monday to see a plastic surgeon. Can anyone tell me if there are specific questions I should ask related to the lapband? I've seen some people say they had their's repositioned so exactly what question(s) should I ask? Any advice is appreciated!

Sue,

Thanks for responding! I've been up since 4:26 this morning..i'm guessing it is just nervousness...I go today!

I was looking for answers that were lap-band related. I appreciate the help. If you have any other just general PS questions that you feel are on the top of the list and I may not have thought about them...by all means please shoot them to me right quick! I've written a few down...but apparently i'm gonna be scatter brained today and not operating on a full night's sleep!

Thanks,

Jackie

Jackie:

A few questions that you've probably already got on your list.

1. Will you be installing a pain pump that goes home with me for the first few days?

2. What kind of stitching do you do? Will I be able to see the stitches or are they mostly internal?

3. Do you recommend any special pre-op Vitamins that will help me heal? My surgeon recommended extra Vitamin C.

4. Can I have an extra compression garment? (If you only have one it will need to be washed - good to have an extra).

5. You should ask if he/she has pictures of some other patients that he's done this procedure on.

6. You should ask if he/she has done this surgery on alot of weight loss surgery patients.

This is not an easy appointment. He/she will probably take some pictures that are very unflattering and embarassing. Just count to ten and know that it's so worth it in the long run!

Good luck! Tell us how it goes.

Sue

Sue,

Thanks for responding! I've been up since 4:26 this morning..i'm guessing it is just nervousness...I go today!

I was looking for answers that were lap-band related. I appreciate the help. If you have any other just general PS questions that you feel are on the top of the list and I may not have thought about them...by all means please shoot them to me right quick! I've written a few down...but apparently i'm gonna be scatter brained today and not operating on a full night's sleep!

Thanks,

Jackie

How did you make out with your consult? Does your insurance cover it? My upper thighs look like elephant skin--

Judy

Sue:

I am so sorry! I know I posted on here about what the doc said...but after i got your message I came here to look and now don't see it!

Of course, the consult was quite embarassing--I mean getting pretty much completely naked and having pics of your body is no picnic! The doc said he didn't want to do it all at one time. So I will have my a belt lipectomy (sp?) and breast lift with implants done first. Then I will go back and have the arms and thighs done in a second surgery. Thanks for the questions...they really helped! I'm nervous...never thought I'd ever need implants..but oh well!

How did you make out with your consult? Does your insurance cover it? My upper thighs look like elephant skin--

Judy

Hi Judy!

The consult was good...my thighs will need a lift as well...but that will be my second surgery and unfortunately I have MS BCBS insurance and they don't pay for anything! The cost to have my arms and thighs done at the same time will be around 8K.

Best of luck to you Jackie. I just had a full extended Tummy Tuck 2 weeks ago. I'm still recovering, but the pain is less than I expected. I was banded in 2008 and finally found a doctor who had experience working with banded patients (moving the port, advantages/disadvantages to leaving it where it was, etc). I had an unfortunate severe allergic reaction to a surgical adhesive they used (Mastisol), so I recommend you find out if your surgeon will be using it -- and possibly see if they'll do a "test" on you prior to surgury to determine if you're allergic.

My incision from the TT is healing very nicely and I'd recommend my PS to anyone. He's quite skilled and personable. He takes an active interest in his patients and truly wants them to succeed. I had a budget on what I wanted to spend, so in spite of needing more than just a TT, he agreed to do my procedures in "baby steps" (i.e., one at a time) so I could pay one off, then get the next one. I'm very pleased with my flat tummy!! I've lost 2 dress sizes and might even lose another one after the swelling is gone. Yay!!

Take care.

So glad that you are in less pain than you were expecting. I know that until December when I have surgery that it is all I will think about! And two dress sizes--how AWESOME is that! I figure I will probably go down 1-but i'll be content with that! I don't know what it will be like to have a flat tummy--that is exciting! How much weight have you lost in all? Were you at the goal weight you wanted to be at when you had the Tummy Tuck?

So glad that you are in less pain than you were expecting. I know that until December when I have surgery that it is all I will think about! And two dress sizes--how AWESOME is that! I figure I will probably go down 1-but i'll be content with that! I don't know what it will be like to have a flat tummy--that is exciting! How much weight have you lost in all? Were you at the goal weight you wanted to be at when you had the Tummy Tuck?

Hello again. I was banded 3 years ago and lost almost 100 lbs. I started at 271 and am now 179. That is not my goal weight, but I've been stable for about a year, so I went ahead with it. I think having a flat tummy will motivate me to kick up my exercise routine again and help me lose more lbs, but my PS assured me that as long as I don't lose a lot more (20+ lbs), then I won't have to deal with extra skin again in my midsection. I didn't have any weight loss in mind for the TT. I just wanted to get rid of the flap of skin that NOTHING would help me lose. Now that it's gone, I look like a different person. While I've only "officially" lost 2 dress sizes for the TT, I look like I've lost much more than that. My body has changed so much and I can't wait to have this procedure paid off so I can get the rest of the "body lift" done. That'll probably be next year or the one after. I'll also have Lipo on my thighs at that time.

A FLAT TUMMY IS SOOOO EXCITING!! You're doing the right thing. Best of luck!

Thanks Ember!

I've been really nervous..i've stayed on forums reading about people's experiences..some people heal quickly and I'm reading that some people are many weeks before they are feeling better! I'm really trying to lose 15 pounds before I have the surgery and revving up my exercise in hopes that will help with my recovery! Just all very scary! It sounds like you are doing awesome tho! Thanks for sharing your experience with me..keep us updated!

Thanks Ember!

I've been really nervous..i've stayed on forums reading about people's experiences..some people heal quickly and I'm reading that some people are many weeks before they are feeling better! I'm really trying to lose 15 pounds before I have the surgery and revving up my exercise in hopes that will help with my recovery! Just all very scary! It sounds like you are doing awesome tho! Thanks for sharing your experience with me..keep us updated!

Also, if you haven't already done so, go to YouTube and type in "Full, Extended Abdominoplasty" or any such search term to watch videos of actual Tummy Tuck surgeries. If you're squeamish, you might not want to watch, but it really helped me to know what to expect. Keep up your Protein intake before and after surgery...that'll help you heal much more quickly. I drank Boost shakes for the first few days post-op since I couldn't eat or prepare much food. Just a thought for ya!

Wow great post. How much is a full body lift going cost. I am trying to save up but I really have no idea of what I am looking at.

Wow great post. How much is a full body lift going cost. I am trying to save up but I really have no idea of what I am looking at.

I've found that it varies by doctor/practice and by state/region. Also, everyone's body is different, so your best bet is to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon and at least get a quote. The consultation is free (at least they are in the STL area), so you've got nothing to lose. Best of luck to you!

I'm sure it varies per doctor and state but a breast lift with implants and beltectomy will be around 16K.