Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there recovering from a slipped band?

I had my band slip last fall. I was rebanded and it has taken a loooooong time to get back on track. In fact I gained back about 60 of the 80 pounds I lost after being banded initially. I, however, have reached a much better balance and am back to losing. Just wondering if anyone else out there had an post slippage experiences to share?

I wonder if one ever recovers from the slip, psychologically, anyway. I worry about it constantly and this incarnation of the band is nothing like the first band. I have already been told he can't fix another slip and that leaves me no insurance options, which makes me want to cry.

Best wishes.

Mimi

Yes! I was diagnosed with band slippage in March. (Not sure how long it had been slipped but I am thinking since November.) Was re-banded in June. Have been getting filled incrementally and as of last week I think I am where I need to be. I think my band was filled too tightly the first time around, but I thought that is what it was supposed to be like. Now, I know better! I can eat a little and get full, I don't feel like the food is stuck and I am going to throw up.

I did not get too far off track since I work out regularly, but I did gain about 20 pounds back since I had no restriction. Don't get discouraged! You might want to consider joining weight watchers or some other type of support to help you get back on track. I have a good friend who is a personal trainer, and he worked out with me every week throughout the whole ordeal, so I have been able to bounce back.

Good luck!

I had my band slip last fall. I was rebanded and it has taken a loooooong time to get back on track. In fact I gained back about 60 of the 80 pounds I lost after being banded initially. I, however, have reached a much better balance and am back to losing. Just wondering if anyone else out there had an post slippage experiences to share?

I am so sorry about your slip, but I have been reading this forum for the last 3 years since being banded. I have NEVER had a fill since being banded. I do use some self control, the bandster rules of eating and just common sense on changing my eating habits. I have seen over and over that the people that keep their band so tight they can hardly get food or drink down end up with slips sooner or later. I see this over and over and I actually talked with a woman in town that felt if the band wasn't tight enough to stop her from eating that she was not going to lose weight. Her end result was giving up and getting all Fluid out and she has gained the 65 pds back. I know she is only one person, but this is suppose to be a lifestyle change that you can live with, not a temporary thing by getting so tight that you cannot get fluids down. This is just my observation and it seems to be more and more reoccurring than I originally thought. The thought of slipping scares the heck out of me and I can agree that is something we all need to keep in mind, it could be disasterous when it happens. Good luck and hope you never go through that.

I am only 5 days post op and not really sure what I feel but liquids don't go down good and indigestion is awful could this be a slipped ban

I had my band slip in June and the doc took out 1/2 of the Fluid. I gained 8 pounds in the 6 weeks after, then he started with a slight fill. But, unfortunatley I gained 10 pounds over the next 6 weeks. I got another fill this week and he put me back up to the fill level I was before the slip. I can definately tell a difference already in the amount of food I can eat. I'm glad to have the restriction again because it helps me control my portions. I still have to be careful about what I eat. Good luck everyone!

I had my band slip in June and the doc took out 1/2 of the Fluid. I gained 8 pounds in the 6 weeks after, then he started with a slight fill. But, unfortunatley I gained 10 pounds over the next 6 weeks. I got another fill this week and he put me back up to the fill level I was before the slip. I can definately tell a difference already in the amount of food I can eat. I'm glad to have the restriction again because it helps me control my portions. I still have to be careful about what I eat. Good luck everyone!

I am only 5 days post op and not really sure what I feel but liquids don't go down good and indigestion is awful could this be a slipped ban

No, you are still swollen from the op... The swelling will go down and you should be ok.

Take care,

Julia