Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erosion, The Real Facts

I LOVE LISA AND PENNI!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR KEEPING IT REAL!! I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE THORNS AS WELL AS THE ROSES!!:clap2:

I am thankful that I Have this forum for continued support. I just felt somethings needed addressing.

"It doesnt matter what country you go to, what hospital you go to. the doctor can carry all the insurance he wants and follow all the guidlines and regs he wants. What does matter is his skills and .knowledge and working conditions."

You mean things like a hypodermic needle lying at nurse's station uncapped and unattended? That kind of working conditions? Perhaps a patient wandering around a surgical suite in a drug induced fit of hallucinations, touching everything with no staff around to hear or care? I think I gotcha now.

Research that, would ya?

WOW! you saw all that and still went there.

Both my wife and i asked for and were granted a tour of the facilitys. the pre-op , the op-room, post op and the overnight rooms. so you can say i did research that.

and if i had seen ANY of that stuff i wouldve been right back on the airplane heading home calling it a short vacation.

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted here.

It is good to know that we have a place to voice ALL our opinions, the good the bad and the ugly cause that is closer to real life in my opinion. A lot of boards do not allow a true discussion of the facts as we see and live them.

I also could not believe the have a gastric bypass/sleeve suggestion, some doc's make me sick cause they just don't get it. Trish

To all those who have lost their band to erosion : I am sorry for your loss and sorry for the insensitivities of some people on this thread. You are all amazing and know that each and every one of you have been such an inspiration to me. :target:

WOW! you saw all that and still went there.

Both my wife and i asked for and were granted a tour of the facilitys. the pre-op , the op-room, post op and the overnight rooms.

Me too. I toured the facility, talked to the staff, and I researched the doctor. He had glowing recommendations. As soon as I went home, I developed complications about two months later with the port. He declined to take or return my calls, answer my emails, etc. I finally had my boyfriend get on the phone after two weeks of repeated attempts to contact him and FINALLY Lopez asked me to come to TJ to be evaluated.

Once there he told me to "go home lose more weight and the port would reposition itself". I infact needed surgery to fix the problem.

All the research in the world does nothing for telling you how the surgeon will do the job or how his after care will be handled. Research all you want with luck it will turn out fine. In the long run it is a crap shoot whether you get a good surgeon or not. I happened to get a crappy one that had impeccable credentials and came highly recommended who DID NOT LIVE UP TO THE REPUTATION.

Me too. I toured the facility, talked to the staff, and I researched the doctor. He had glowing recommendations. As soon as I went home, I developed complications about two months later with the port. He declined to take or return my calls, answer my emails, etc. I finally had my boyfriend get on the phone after two weeks of repeated attempts to contact him and FINALLY Lopez asked me to come to TJ to be evaluated.

Once there he told me to "go home lose more weight and the port would reposition itself". I infact needed surgery to fix the problem.

All the research in the world does nothing for telling you how the surgeon will do the job or how his after care will be handled. Research all you want with luck it will turn out fine. In the long run it is a crap shoot whether you get a good surgeon or not. I happened to get a crappy one that had impeccable credentials and came highly recommended who DID NOT LIVE UP TO THE REPUTATION.

now thats a shame.

Id like to remake my original point.

your right in that it is a crap shoot in the end. but it can happen both in Mexico and in the usa.

now thats a shame.

Id like to remake my original point.

your right in that it is a crap shoot in the end. but it can happen both in Mexico and in the usa.

You are correct it can happen in both. THe difference is we have a malpractice recourse here in the states where we don't have that option with Mexico surgeons. They don't have to follow even the basic US standards. They have their OWN standards.

I’m confused. Everyone was asking for answers and when we finally got some reliable information, some people got their panties all in a bunch! Okay, maybe Dr. Pleatman’s remark was unsympathetic. But I think his point about how ridiculous some people have been to suggest that the doctor should pay all the costs if a patient has a complication is a valid one. Luckily for us self payers, the Mexican doctors only charge minimal costs for aftercare issues. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a free ride. It’s simply ridiculous to expect a doctor to give us a guarantee. I for one am appreciative that at least Dr. Ortiz shared this needed information and that Dr. Pleatman has visited and shared several times.

I wonder if either of them will ever come back? :target:

Kat :crazy:

I’m confused. Everyone was asking for answers and when we finally got some reliable information, some people got their panties all in a bunch! Okay, maybe Dr. Pleatman’s remark was unsympathetic. But I think his point about how ridiculous some people have been to suggest that the doctor should pay all the costs if a patient has a complication is a valid one. Luckily for us self payers, the Mexican doctors only charge minimal costs for aftercare issues. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a free ride. It’s simply ridiculous to expect a doctor to give us a guarantee. I for one am appreciative that at least Dr. Ortiz shared this needed information and that Dr. Pleatman has visited and shared several times.

I wonder if either of them will ever come back? :target:

Kat :crazy:

Kat it isn't even about them sharing information. I am all for that and wish more doctors would. It is how they handled the whole situation and how flippant they were in their answers.

Are you implying that the information we eroded bandsters shared was unreliable?

As for the comment about self payers and the minimal cost of aftercare by Mexican doctors, I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY AFTERCARE PERIOD AND I WAS A SELF PAY. Pardon me but I am not yelling at you I am yelling at the situation. Please do not take offense to my comments. I am just pissed about the attitude from these two docs.

You are correct it can happen in both. THe difference is we have a malpractice recourse here in the states where we don't have that option with Mexico surgeons. They don't have to follow even the basic US standards. They have their OWN standards.

Agreed. :target:

the not getting good or any aftercare. that would bug me as well.more then just a little.

ive been lucky and have gotten good aftercare from my mexican doc.

Don't you think inamed knows how many bands a Surgeon buys and places?

Cristan in olympia

335-278- and going down daily!

Inamed knows how many are sold. They have no control what is done with the band after it leaves their hands. They also make a "request" that any complications be reported so they can research. My Mexico surgeon did not report my complication at all. So according to his stats my band placement is a success.

One of my duties as an RN on a Cancer ward was to do the stats every year for the Director of the Unit. I know first hand how some doctors view successes. The stats can be all skewed.

the not getting good or any aftercare. that would bug me as well.more then just a little.

ive been lucky and have gotten good aftercare from my mexican doc.

Have you had any major complications thus far? I don't consider fills a major complication. I pray that you don't have any either. You might find out how good the aftercare really is.