Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It really is a relief to read others experiences. I had a girls weekend out this weekend. Ive been eating fine, without getting pain or anything stuck. I drove 5 hrs to the beach to scrapbook all weekend. We went to eat fajitas. I took a bite and swallowed. it hurt badly. felt like i was stretching my esophagus as it was going down. I went to the restroom and tried to get it to come up. It did not. I had some spasms too. This morning I tried to eat a sandwhich and had the same pain. Does anyone else wonder if you are damaging your esophagus or damaging the band when that happens?? so afraid to damage anything. I go for a fill next week. I am glad because my will power isnt working right now. so how long should our first plateaus last? My thirty pounds loss included the pre diet. I am married. Twenty four years next month, One child, one 7 mo grandbaby.

Bless your heart, I know that was scary. Go back to liquids and call your Dr to see what he recommends. If it hurts, don't do it. Keep us posted on how you feel and how the fill goes. None of us have any idea of how long these plateaus will last and I'm sure it will be different for each person. The one thing I do know is we are not alone, a whole lot of other banders have had the same problem for the first few months. You're doing great! 30 lbs is wonderful and there is more to come soon. Hang in there. We can do it!

Blessings,

GG

Well I have to say I am soooooo grateful that they let me come in because I gained a pounds so another 2.5 weeks would not have been good. The nurse practitioner gave me another 1.5 ccs for a total of 5. I didn't really eat until I was full afterwards but I managed 1/4 of a bagel with cheese and a fruit cup. I had a really crappy weekend and did a bit of emotional eating which included 2 pieces of pizza covered in ranch dressing. I have to say it wasn't as good as I thought it should be. I really can't believe I was able to eat it. Anyway I will not fret about it but simply move on. I certainly can't uneat the dang pizza so why worry with it! Today is a new day and I have a life to live so I am putting on my big girl panties, my happy face, and I am moving on. Hope everyone has an awesome week!

Aw, thanks. Let us know how it goes Monday. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Blessings,

GG

Loving the positivity..............Best wishes with this latest fill. I will have my second fill 10/31, feel like it not coming fast enough.

Well I have to say I am soooooo grateful that they let me come in because I gained a pounds so another 2.5 weeks would not have been good. The nurse practitioner gave me another 1.5 ccs for a total of 5. I didn't really eat until I was full afterwards but I managed 1/4 of a bagel with cheese and a fruit cup. I had a really crappy weekend and did a bit of emotional eating which included 2 pieces of pizza covered in ranch dressing. I have to say it wasn't as good as I thought it should be. I really can't believe I was able to eat it. Anyway I will not fret about it but simply move on. I certainly can't uneat the dang pizza so why worry with it! Today is a new day and I have a life to live so I am putting on my big girl panties, my happy face, and I am moving on. Hope everyone has an awesome week!

I had been wondering about slipage, and today I received a newsletter from my doctor's office. It had this Q A at the end, thought I would share with everyone.

What are the main signs and symptoms of a band slip/prolapse and what type of testing can be done to determine if I have this type of complication?

A band slip (more correctly described as a gastric prolapse) is the term used when a portion of the stomach below a gastric band abnormally migrates or "slips" through the device and causes the band to become partially or completely blocked (see picture). The term "band slip" is not really accurate because the band itself doesn‟t actually slip or move. A slip will occur in 2-3% of patients who have an adjustable gastric band.

While there are a number of proposed causes of a slip, what seems to be clear is that they are most common in patients that vomit on a regular basis. This vomiting can be due to poor eating habits (eating too fast, eating too much, not chewing well, etc) or from having the band too tight.

The most common symptoms of a slip are pain when eating (especially solid foods), frequent vomiting after eating, heartburn, and a nighttime cough. Many patients with a slip will also find themselves gaining weight because they turn to "soft foods" like mashed potatoes, Pasta, and ice cream because it goes down easy and doesn‟t hurt. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, especially if it is on a regular basis, you should be seen at the office.

If there is concern that you might have a slip, you will most likely be asked to have an x-ray study to evaluate your band. You will be asked to swallow some Fluid (contrast) and we will watch it go through your band which lets us see if you have a slip. If you do have a slip, the most common treatment is to remove Fluid from your band to see if the "slipped" stomach goes back down to where it should be located. If removing fluid from the band fixes the slip, then the band can be slowly refilled starting 2-4 weeks later. If a second slip

occurs once the band is filled again, it generally requires an operation to reposition the band. Occasionally a slip is so severe that taking fluid out of the band does not help and the patient must immediately be taken to surgery to prevent major injury to the stomach. Hallmark symptoms of a major slip are severe and worsening abdominal pain and inability to keep any fluids down including your own saliva. If you experience any of these symptoms, call us IMMEDIATELY!

The bottom line when it comes to slips, like most things in medicine; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Make sure you follow our dietary recommendations (eat slow, chew well, don‟t overeat, etc) and keep in mind, vomiting is never normal after weight loss surgery! If you find yourself vomiting on a regular basis, make an appointment to come in and see us so we can figure out why and keep you safe on your journey back to health.

Thanks Jess for the info. I have wondered about slippage and what would cause it. I am one of those people who go to long without eating and then get STARVING and eat way too fast! I have taken it easy today since yesterday when the food got stuck. I had some pain after that happened and it kinda freaked me out.

Anyone having snack cravings in the evening? That used to be my worst time for eating crap. Now I am trying to drink Water when I crave a snack. Anyone have any ideas on late night snack cravings? I havent tried popcorn yet because I heard that is common with people on getting stuck. I usually save my Calcium suppliments (2 Viactive) for the evening. They are so good and it is like a little treat and helps with my sweet tooth.

Thanks for all the info about "getting stuck". Kristen I was wondering if your episode was a bread food? I have read and heard that breads and Pasta are the usual problem foods.

As for the snacking ideas in the evening, maybe you could save some of your protien alottment for the day and have it at night. I love the whey protien shakes I use and they provide a full feeling longer than some solids! I use the chocolate which is yummy and only 140 calories. How about 1/2 a serving of greek yogurt- you could pretend it's ice cream. High in protien and low in cals- a girls best friend.

I've noticed that a lot of the posts mention that they are able to eat anything they want and as much as they want. Try to stay focused on the sensation of the food entering your stomach, remember to chew the food til its nearly liquid, and make good protien choices. The band is not majic, it won't work unless you feed your body good protien sources and fewer calories. We must always be following the "rules" because when we finally get to the " green zone" we must eat slowly, chew, chew, chew, or our " stuck " episodes will increase. We don't want to continue bad habits til we get to the zone. Sorry to sound preachy but we might as well stay focused since we made the choice to get the band.

We are all in this together, as GG says. We'll have good times and bad, platueas and losses. Thanks again to everyone for sharing. When you all go in for your next fill, notice what they use to clean your abdomen. I'm still pondering this issue about my nurse using hand sanitizer to swab my tummy. Can't wait til my next visit in November to ask. Blessings, Healthywoman

Thank you so much for the information Jess. I had my surgery done on 8/26 I've lost 24lbs. in 8wks. post op. I had my second fill yesterday 1.7cc making it a total of 3.7cc on a 10cc band. My nurse practictioner and I where hagling on how much I should get. By the time she put the 2cc I thought that I won the argument. But when I started drinking the Water, it got stuck!!. So she took .4cc out. :( .Since I left the office, anytime I drink something I'm getting the hickups! I don't know if is because my band is still to tight. I really don't want to go back to the office and take more cc's out of my band. Before my second fill, I was eating High fatty foods again. I'm so scared of going back to my bad habits :..(

:)

Hi Kristenaz,I have a sweet tooth after dinner late at night. What I have tried for late Snacks is frozen popsickles or Yoplait yougurt, whip chocolate is my favorite and does the trick! Hope that helps.

Hope everybody had a great weekend. We got back home yesterday from the mountains and I am down another pound. Yeaaaah for me. My pre & post surgery total is 17.8 in 10 weeks, which is ok, of course I'd like more. But, the good thing is I am loosing inches and my skinny jeans are now too big.

There have been a lot of good comments lately on "stuck" episodes. Keep up the sharing. You never know when something you say will help another Bander. Thanks Jess for that informative article on slippage. Hopefully none of us will experience it first hand.

Kristenaz, I've been eating a vanilla Oikos Greek low fat yogurt at night with about a teaspoon of Agave Syrup in it for a bedtime snack. It's 160 calories but worth it to me. Sweet and yet it has Protein. The other good thing about having dairy at night is it helps you sleep. I take a Water soluable Calcium right before I go to bed every night and in 15 minutes I can hardly hold my eyes open. That's why people have a warm glass of milk to help them sleep, (Yuk, on the warm milk)

chicholious, you are a hoot arguing with the nurse. You go girl! My Dr will only do 1/4 cc. for me at a time. That's like a drop, but I trust him and will do what he says.

Before I got banded I did a lot of research and ordered a book from Amazon called, Bandwagon by Jean McMillan. it is an excellent resource guide and I highly recommend it for all of you. She is a fellow bander that lost 89 lbs. One of her chapters is about being positive and the power of positive thinking. I needed to reread this. No more complaining from me anytme soon. Maybe some of you see yourself there too.

From her book.

After years of failure, there may be a small illogical part of you that does not believe you have enough desire, skill or knowledge to succeed at weight loss. We tend to self sabotage with thinking like this.

Jealousy, comparing yourself to others that have lost more weight. Instead: we should congratulate ourselves for he 25 lbs we have lost.

Consumed with fear or worry, "I had reflux last night - what if my band slipped". Instead: take positive actions and call your Dr.

Negativity, focusing on what's wrong instead of what's right. "I can't succeed because my restriction isn't right". Instead: focus on how much better restriction is now that I've had a few fills.

Procrastination, "I'll start making better food choices on Monday". Instead: do it today.

Giving up easily. "It's just too hard to keep up the weight loss effort". Instead: do it one day at a time.

Mental deafness, "why does my Dr keep harping on more exercise?" Instead: consider that he is trying to help you, even if you don't like the advise.

Feeling worthless, "I don't deserve to succeed at weight loss". Instead: be your own cheerleader, if you don't do it who will?

Denial, "We're getting pizza because my kids need it" . Instead, Who really "needs" the pizza?

I believe that my attitude drives most of my success in life. Positive attitude yields positive results.

We can do this!

Blessings,

GG

I have a question. I was banded. August 16th. I had my first fill October 1st. I notice a lillte more of a restriction, but not much. So far I have lost about 26 pounds.

After my first fill my Dr. Said to make an appointment and come back in 3 weeks. I didn't think to ask what this appt. was for and was given no special instructions like I had with my first fill, that was done under the scope.

So I am just wondering if this is just a check up I am going to or do you think I could possibly be getting another fill ? I sure hope I get a fill. I live an hour away. I would hate to drive there for him to look at me for 5 minutes just to leave again.

I could call of course. Just curious what everyone here thinks.

Thank you !!

This should be for a fill, if you need one. They will ask you if you are in your "green zone," if you aren't they should fill you.

I have a question. I was banded. August 16th. I had my first fill October 1st. I notice a lillte more of a restriction, but not much. So far I have lost about 26 pounds.

After my first fill my Dr. Said to make an appointment and come back in 3 weeks. I didn't think to ask what this appt. was for and was given no special instructions like I had with my first fill, that was done under the scope.

So I am just wondering if this is just a check up I am going to or do you think I could possibly be getting another fill ? I sure hope I get a fill. I live an hour away. I would hate to drive there for him to look at me for 5 minutes just to leave again.

Thank you !!

Thank you !!

Welcome Sb2,

I agree with Jess. You will probably get a fill but from what others have posted it depends on how fast you are losing. My Dr says 1-2 lbs a week. He also asks if I am still getting hungry. Every Dr is different but I'd bet you will get a fill. 26 lbs is great! Good for you. Stay on the program and it will pay off. Let us know what happens and how you are doing.

Blessings,

GG

Blessngs

My doctor ask the questions prior to as well. I am constantly hungry and I am going to put so much emphasis on it when I go for my fill Monday. I am dropping a couple of pounds per week, but I am working on pure willpower and to be honest I see it slowly to moderately slipping away. Weigh loss is slowing! And like I said I'm constantly hungry and thinking about food. If he denies me a fill first I am going beg and then cry. If that doesn't work going to push him out the door, lock it and then give myself a fill.........lol.

Welcome Sb2,

I agree with Jess. You will probably get a fill but from what others have posted it depends on how fast you are losing. My Dr says 1-2 lbs a week. He also asks if I am still getting hungry. Every Dr is different but I'd bet you will get a fill. 26 lbs is great! Good for you. Stay on the program and it will pay off. Let us know what happens and how you are doing.

Blessings,

GG

Blessngs

Thanks GG for recommending the book. I think it will really help all of us in our journey

FYI I called my nurse practitioner, and I'm throwing in the white towel for this fight. I'm going in tomorrow and take at least .2cc out of my band. I barely can drink without getting hiccups and i just threw up from drinking only 2oz of Water. Hopefully this means my band is to tight and i might be really close to my sweet spot. Wishful thinking!