Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recognizing when you are satisfied

I am 8 weeks post-op and have been following the plan laid out for me by my surgeon & dietician. I am eating 2 Protein Shakes a day (breakfast & lunch), a snack of nonfat plain yogurt or 3 oz cottage cheese (if needed) and one meal of 3 oz lean Protein & 6 oz veggies. I eat the protein first like I am supposed too and then start on the veggies. I have been told that when I feel satisfied I should stop and its ok if I don't finish what is on my plate (contrary to what most have been told our whole lives :-) ). There are times that I know I am satisfied but continue anyway because I am thinking "It's only salad, how bad could this really be for me?" or "I am only allowed this small amount of food anyway, I might as well eat it". Any tips on how to recognize that feeling of satiety sooner so I am avoid overdoing it?

Thanks!

You already know the sign, you said so. Now what you need is to redirect the old habit. Say yes to the sign, and GET UP! Don't pass go, just stop. This helps in so many ways. First, less chance to eat 1 forkful to much,. Next, the band works on feeling satisfied, not full; also enough that we aren't hungry in a couple of hours. Another is that we can easily learn to eat around our band by nibbling slowly until we have eaten more than we needed. The first time you get stuck, or just overfull it is NOT pretty. We aren't on a diet, but a life(eating)style change.

I am 8 weeks post-op and have been following the plan laid out for me by my surgeon & dietician. I am eating 2 Protein shakes a day (breakfast & lunch), a snack of nonfat plain yogurt or 3 oz cottage cheese (if needed) and one meal of 3 oz lean Protein & 6 oz veggies. I eat the protein first like I am supposed too and then start on the veggies. I have been told that when I feel satisfied I should stop and its ok if I don't finish what is on my plate (contrary to what most have been told our whole lives :-) ). There are times that I know I am satisfied but continue anyway because I am thinking "It's only salad, how bad could this really be for me?" or "I am only allowed this small amount of food anyway, I might as well eat it". Any tips on how to recognize that feeling of satiety sooner so I am avoid overdoing it?

Thanks!

Chew well....eat slowly....put the fork down between bites. As soon as you no longer feel hungry, STOP! Not just one more bite! Get up and walk away. "It's only salad, how bad could it be?" You're trying to train yourself to stop overeating. It may just be salad this time. Next time it might be pizza. You need to develop good habits whatever the food is.

Trust me one bite,to many is to much!

Thanks Ladies for your responses! I do cut all my food up very small, take small bites, and put my fork down between each bite. I am going to take a few minutes in between my Protein & veggies to see if I am still hungry.

Thanks Ladies for your responses! I do cut all my food up very small, take small bites, and put my fork down between each bite. I am going to take a few minutes in between my Protein & veggies to see if I am still hungry.

When you know you've eaten enough, get up and leave the table. In ten or twenty minutes if you're still hungry, come back and have some more vegetables. Chances are good that at that point you won't be hungry. You need to train your eyes to listen to your stomach.

Dave

I don't think you are suppose to be having shakes for Meal Replacements for Breakfast and lunch? ? I was makingthis mistake and my NUT told me I need to eat solid for the band to work (at this point) and shakes should be Snacks only? I know some people can't eat in the mornings and have a shake instead, but I think with 8 weeks post op you should be eating solid Proteins and that might help with satiety?? Just a thought.

re: "when I feel satisfied I should stop and its ok if I don't finish "

therein is the entire nut....

It was a tremendous NEW experience to recognize there IS a difference between "hungry" and "NOT hungry"....

Leaving food uneaten is one of the mortal sins in my early family eating training.

As Bandsters we must find ways to reprogram ourselves. You are well on the way by recognizing those 2 separate opportunities to change your eating behavior.

For me, it is/was/is largely a matter of daily practice....although sometimes it really does begin to feel 'normal'. More often now I'm finding I take less to begin with, maybe only a few spoonfuls. Making it more effort to go get more helps retrain my NOT eating behavior.

cheers on your journey

Thanks for all the replies!

@NJgirl32- My Dr's office has an extremely strict program and thats what I am following (even the shakes have specific guidelines). The Protein shakes keep me satisfied for a few hours. The feeling of full I am talking about is only when I am eating that one meal of the day, I am pretty satisfied with the rest of my day.

I don't think you are suppose to be having shakes for meal replacements for breakfast and lunch?? I was makingthis mistake and my NUT told me I need to eat solid for the band to work (at this point) and shakes should be Snacks only? I know some people can't eat in the mornings and have a shake instead, but I think with 8 weeks post op you should be eating solid Proteins and that might help with satiety?? Just a thought.

i have the same Dr, I also follow that rule, we have a very strick office and i lovethat !!!. but also very successfull . I eat one meal a day and 2 shakes, even our shakes have strick guidlines. its hard here cuz everybodys dr's have different rules ect.

there are some days when i have 2 small meals and 1 shake, but for the most part it def works for me =)