Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If Your Lap Band Eroded--did You Lose Restriction?

that all sounds amazing...unfortunately not in a good way. sorry to hear u had to go through all of that.. hope all is well

i did want to know, was your band sewn in? some are not, and some are,..depends on the doctor

are you aware of which you would have received?

When I had erosion it was very small 3 mm in size I think. My doc actually found it by accident. Did I lose restriction... well no because it was caught so quickly but I also had 10cc in my 11cc band and could still eat a fair amount so maybe I had already slowly lost a lot of my restriction.

I was rebanded once healed and I find my stomach is very picky this time around maybe because of the scar tissue caused by the erosion.

I did not lose any restriction. I had terrible gassy type pain filling my entire chest. I had a couple of barium swallows and was told my band was fine (so they are not nessecarily proof of an erosion) Even after a complete unfil I still had restriction. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis from the band possibly pinching the vagus nerve. After 3 months of this terrible pain saw an gastroenterologist (new insurance and wait time for appointment) She did an upper endoscopy and found my band was sitting inside my stomach!!!

Kayleighsmom - what I have now sounds like what you describe. Gassy, bloated, discomfort but not a sharp pain. Surgeon did a regular x-ray (doesn't do barium fill) and the x ray shows un place. He did take out sme, not all. Felt better for a few days & now it is uncomfortable again. Will have to make another appt. Wondering if I shouldn't request the endoscopy. He may want to just remove all of the saline. I want to know if it has slipped, eroded or infection. And waste more time. Thoughts?

Kayleighsmom - what I have now sounds like what you describe. Gassy, bloated, discomfort but not a sharp pain. Surgeon did a regular x-ray (doesn't do barium fill) and the x ray shows un place. He did take out sme, not all. Felt better for a few days & now it is uncomfortable again. Will have to make another appt. Wondering if I shouldn't request the endoscopy. He may want to just remove all of the saline. I want to know if it has slipped, eroded or infection. And waste more time. Thoughts?

I would push for an endoscopy. I had 3 barium swallows when this happened, and other than the fact that my stomach was not working properly I was told my band was fine. "No slips or anything" Going down into the stomach itself with the endoscope was the only way they saw my erosion.

Best of luck, and I am hoping you do not have an erosion.

Thank you. Now my next question is did you get rebanded, choose gastric bypass or any other surgery? I still need to lose 70lbs but would be happy to get to 50. I still have restriction even tho he removed the saline. Since I am 4 yrs out & have gained really concerned that I will have to have it removed. Bottom-line, I know this isn't normal & will keep making appts to get it resolved.

So many posts here are saying they have the barium w/the fill & that concerns me that mine doesn't. He has a big practice and affiliated w/Baptist hospital. I guess I will break down and ask him why. To be honest he is very intimidating and patients who aren't losing the weight well get an earful from him. Not so much mean but very stern.

Thank you. Now my next question is did you get rebanded, choose gastric bypass or any other surgery? I still need to lose 70lbs but would be happy to get to 50. I still have restriction even tho he removed the saline. Since I am 4 yrs out & have gained really concerned that I will have to have it removed. Bottom-line, I know this isn't normal & will keep making appts to get it resolved.

So many posts here are saying they have the barium w/the fill & that concerns me that mine doesn't. He has a big practice and affiliated w/Baptist hospital. I guess I will break down and ask him why. To be honest he is very intimidating and patients who aren't losing the weight well get an earful from him. Not so much mean but very stern.

I saw my surgeon today to tell him I am still having bloating, chest pain after eating, heartburn, etc. But I do have restriction. A week ago he removed some Fluid & more today. But it is not empty. Said for me to come back next Mon. So frustrated that he doesn't check by fluro and didn't offer endo. I just hate the waiting. He seems to think I'm just too tight. On the other thought if he is right I will be happy. Anyone else have to go thru this kind of unfit, wait & see, another unfit, etc? Worried about a slip, dilation or erosion.

My erosion caused something called gastroparesis, Basically my stomach is not emptying well, most likely caused by the erosion injuring my vagus nerve. This is how they found my erosion. Chest pain and pressure, belching etc. I don't want another band, and because of the gastroparesis I am unable to get a sleeve. The only thing that may cure the g.p is a bypass, which I am waiting for through my insurance (I have Kaiser, and it takes 9-10 months to get to the top of their list for surgery.... even though I am in pain every single day.)

As for being filled with barium... as far as I know, most surgeons don't. do it that way.... I have been to 3 different surgical practices (my first surgeon left the state soon after my surgery, He had another surgeon take over his patients, then this surgeon left the practice he was at) and I was never filled with barium.

I'm sorry your surgeon is such a jerk. That makes things tough.

I saw my surgeon today to tell him I am still having bloating, chest pain after eating, heartburn, etc. But I do have restriction. A week ago he removed some Fluid & more today. But it is not empty. Said for me to come back next Mon. So frustrated that he doesn't check by fluro and didn't offer endo. I just hate the waiting. He seems to think I'm just too tight. On the other thought if he is right I will be happy. Anyone else have to go thru this kind of unfit, wait & see, another unfit, etc? Worried about a slip, dilation or erosion.

Yes, I'm going through it now. pain that comes and goes every other month and stay for 1-2 wks. Gaining weight and already too tight, Not to mention the bad acid reflux at night. I had an upper GI today, and will find out where it goes from there after I see my Doc next Week. I can rule out a leak I guess since Im so tight. but the waiting is tearing my nerves up. My Doc had never done flouro either, and it always seem as if he's guessing. He's a good Doctor and also very stern, almost rude. Hopefully all I need is an unfill!