Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby is 6 months old-I'm nursing and freaked about a fill

I had my son 1/31. I gained almost all my weight back during the pregnancy and have lost about 40 lbs since I had him but have plateaued. I know I can get a fill but I just don't want to. I cry every time I think about going through that deprivation again. My doc says he'll do it even though I'm nursing but I just haven't had the guts to schedule. Thoughts? Experiences?

Oh sweetie!!! What a terrible position to be in. We all want to loose our baby weight quickly, and most want to feed our children bm because it is so good for them. Is there a reason why you need to loose the weight now, or could you wait just a bit longer before having a fill? Say until you are ready to wean?

Here's why I would wait to get a fill until I was done, or almost done with nursing 1) nursing ACTIVELY burns calories. I've read that you can burn up to 500 calories per day by nursing. that means with exclusive bf'ing you will probably loose weight with a sensible diet 2) you need to keep your Fluid and calorie intake up so that your child gets the most nutritious bm. 3) You may want to investigate the affects of rapid weight loss on bm composition and what is possibly released into your bm. 4) I know that sudden dietary changes and a loss of calories can cause a drop in bm production. 5) like you said, deprivation is hard. Why do that when you are already nursing, which is also hard? It may (or may not) encourage you to give up nursing earlier than you would've otherwise if you feel crappy physically.

I'm not an expert, I'm not a lactation expert, and I'm certainly NOT qualified to give medical advice. I say get in contact with someone who can really answer these important questions for you! Good luck momma!

Thank you. It's just that I want to nurse for a few years. I don't want to wean him. The other problem is that it's hard to find someone who is an expert on lap band, weight loss and lactation. If anyone has any suggestions, I want to hear them! Nursing does take calories but I'm plateaued. I just don't know what to do.

-C

Oh sweetie!!! What a terrible position to be in. We all want to loose our baby weight quickly, and most want to feed our children bm because it is so good for them. Is there a reason why you need to loose the weight now, or could you wait just a bit longer before having a fill? Say until you are ready to wean?

Here's why I would wait to get a fill until I was done, or almost done with nursing 1) nursing ACTIVELY burns calories. I've read that you can burn up to 500 calories per day by nursing. that means with exclusive bf'ing you will probably loose weight with a sensible diet 2) you need to keep your Fluid and calorie intake up so that your child gets the most nutritious bm. 3) You may want to investigate the affects of rapid weight loss on bm composition and what is possibly released into your bm. 4) I know that sudden dietary changes and a loss of calories can cause a drop in bm production. 5) like you said, deprivation is hard. Why do that when you are already nursing, which is also hard? It may (or may not) encourage you to give up nursing earlier than you would've otherwise if you feel crappy physically.

I'm not an expert, I'm not a lactation expert, and I'm certainly NOT qualified to give medical advice. I say get in contact with someone who can really answer these important questions for you! Good luck momma!

I think part of it might be the mind set. If you cry because of thinking about the deprivation again, it doesn't sound like you had a good experience prior to pregnancy.

Eating less and feeling full shouldn't feel like deprivation. Your band should be tight enough to have restriction yet loose enough that you can eat healthy foods that support breastfeeding while still being able to be completely hydrated. I would just focus on the positive aspects of having a little more restriction, make sure you get in plenty of hydration. Also, a fill is not the end-all of the situation. If you get a fill and it seems too tight or seems like you are milk supply is beginning to diminish, you can always get a slight unfill.

Try not to think about it in terms of feast or famine, all or none . . . it is a balance. I know that for me personally, I thought this way for years and years prior to banding and at any given point in time I was yo-yoing somewhere between overeating consistently or being on an extreme diet. Getting a little fill is just tipping the balance more in your favor. If you can continue to breastfeed successfully while slowing losing a few pounds and feeling more satisfied with your meals, it sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I just weaned my little one at 6 months old. She is 7.5 months now. I got a small fill about 2 months post partum. I was still able to eat plenty to maintain a healthy milk supply (I was actually an over producer- I made about 50-60 oz a day-I Exclusively pumped because she would not latch). I got a second small fill while I was still nursing. In the end I was at about 5.75cc right before I weaned (I knew I was weaning before I got to the 5.75), but I THINK I was at about 4.5 before that last fill. Start small. Explain to your provider that you want SOME restriction, but NEED to be able to eat 1600 calories to maintain a good supply. You want this restriction so you dont feel like you are starving between meals, but can still eat a well balanced diet. You are not the only one going through this.

I agree with the previous poster. I sounds as if you were maybe too full before. You should still be able to eat....

I am not an expert either, but I have been there, recently. I know how you feel!

This might sound a little off the wall, but have you considered INCREASING your calorie intake by 200cal a day? Nursing takes a lot out of you (no pun intended), but as your baby gets older they require more (obviously) and for that, you might try to increase your food intake. Now, obviously that doesnt mean having a few handfuls of Cookies, try to keep the calories healthy, but honestly, I am having the same problem. I KNOW that I am not eating enough to do both and that is why my loss is stalling. I have started drinking Protein shakes to give myself more calories and Protein. Maybe try incorporating a shake or two during the day as well?

Good luck hun!

All- I finally got my fill when my son was about 14mos old. I did not get it super tight. I've lost about 12 pounds in 4 weeks. I have to use lots of willpower too but I can drink liquids with no problem

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

Oh- still nursing too!

-Cordelia, banded 1/08