Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery 6/29 and have no restriction

Hi all,

I had my surgery on 6/29 with little to no problems thanks to God. My problem is now that I am tired of the pureed/liquid diet and have been eating solids for the past week. I know I shouldn't be doing this as it can cause problems for me but I just gag at the sight of Protein shakes and Soups. I need real food in my body. At first I felt restriction and didn't eat quite as much as I used to, but now that I am used to it I feel that I can eat as much as I did before. I am a little depressed because I don't feel like I am losing anymore. I checked on the scale and think I have actually gained a couple of lbs. I know I should focus on weight loss at this time because I am still recovering but I am. I wanted to hold off on the fill and try to do it without it, but I really need it. I am scheduled on the 9th of August to get my first fill but feel that it's too far away.

This part really sucks for most people, and you just need to get through it. We all do. Do what your doctor told you, try different ways to make your shakes, maybe get some new flavors. I'm rooting for you!

For now, and always stick to your planned calorie intake daily ! Join myfitnesspal.com to keep track of your calories, and exercise.

You have no fill yet, so you are going to be hungry.

The band works by fill after fill for restriction. It could take 3 fills before you finally feel the difference.

You just have to get by how you can. It's not easy, but your stomach has to heel first.

So this is how we wll go threw it.

Don't be depressed, this is normal. Things wil get better.

Hi, I had my surgery on the same date as you and was placed on soft foods at 10 days post op. I eat my Protein first and only eat the amount the surgeon tells me then I stop.

I don't eat until I physically feel full bc I don't think that's the point of the band. It just helps control the hunger between meals and you must make yourself stop eating instead of testing the limits of your band; if that makes any sense.

If it makes you feel better my first fill won't be until September 6.

Hi Shannon, your experience sounds completely normal! Restriction will come over time with your fills. Try thinking of this period as time to practice your new eating skills while you are still motivated from actually having the surgery. Good luck.

Thanks! I am going to try what another bander does, do the smoothies with Protein Powder.< /p>

This part really sucks for most people, and you just need to get through it. We all do. Do what your doctor told you, try different ways to make your shakes, maybe get some new flavors. I'm rooting for you!

Thanks Shirley, that's a great idea I will try fitnesspal. I am 2 weeks out, when will be a good time to start exercising? I was thinking of going to the gym and using the treadmill

For now, and always stick to your planned calorie intake daily ! Join myfitnesyspal.com to keep track of your calories, and exercise.

You have no fill yet, so you are going to be hungry.

The band works by fill after fill for restriction. It could take 3 fills before you finally feel the difference.

You just have to get by how you can. It's not easy, but your stomach has to heel first.

So this is how we wll go threw it.

Don't be depressed, this is normal. Things wil get better.

I wish I had the willpower that you have, I guess I am going to have to make myself stick to the diet. I know I have some emotional issues to deal with, it's just really hard for me. My biggest problem with me being overweight was the fast food, which I haven't had any of. I do crave it from time to time but I didn't have this band to go back to my old eating habits. Now I have to work on keeping to my diet.

Hi, I had my surgery on the same date as you and was placed on soft foods at 10 days post op. I eat my Protein first and only eat the amount the surgeon tells me then I stop.

I don't eat until I physically feel full bc I don't think that's the point of the band. It just helps control the hunger between meals and you must make yourself stop eating instead of testing the limits of your band; if that makes any sense.

If it makes you feel better my first fill won't be until September 6.

Hi all,

I had my surgery on 6/29 with little to no problems thanks to God. My problem is now that I am tired of the pureed/liquid diet and have been eating solids for the past week. I know I shouldn't be doing this as it can cause problems for me but I just gag at the sight of Protein shakes and Soups. I need real food in my body. At first I felt restriction and didn't eat quite as much as I used to, but now that I am used to it I feel that I can eat as much as I did before. I am a little depressed because I don't feel like I am losing anymore. I checked on the scale and think I have actually gained a couple of lbs. I know I should focus on weight loss at this time because I am still recovering but I am. I wanted to hold off on the fill and try to do it without it, but I really need it. I am scheduled on the 9th of August to get my first fill but feel that it's too far away.

Oh Shannon, I am so sorry ... it sounds like your doc didn't explain to you how the band works (i.e., that without fills it often - not always, but for most - feels as though you don't have a band). You have no restriction and/or your band as yet is not suppressing your hunger. That's how the band works -- SLOWLY (for most, not all). It can be a difficult time for some. The thing to do is to decide how you "personally" handle challenging situations. If you aren't a patient person you may have to distract yourself with other things (i.e., exercise, reading self-help books about changing the head while trying to change the body, etc.).

The thing you don't want to do is sabotage your success. You wrote, "I know I shouldn't be doing this as it can cause problems for me", take a moment and let that sink in. Instead of doing what is best for you, you go head on into something you KNOW can cause problems. Why do you think you would do that to yourself? Please understand, I do not say this to be critical -- trust me, we have all been there. I just want you to realize that you CAN succeed with the band, but you have to be careful not to sabotage yourself. We ALL got sick of Protein Shakes and Soup (well, I like the Protein Shakes, still drink them; but I have NEVER been a "soup" person). Doctors are so different with the pre- and post-op diets. My doc was extremely lenient and had me on solid foods in about 2 weeks. Why don't you call your docs office and see if they can move you to the mushy stage sooner. It's been known to happen, I've read about it on this forum.

The post op diet is temporary, remember that. Try to hang in there. Do something different this time around, be your own champion.

One last thing ... if you eat as much as you did before ... you won't lose weight. Don't get depressed, do something different -- take really good care of YOU. And, why on earth would you want to hold off on the fill???? You say you're depressed, sick of Protein shakes and Soup, not losing weight ... the fill is what takes you to the next step -- don't miss it!

You can do this Shannon! We are all here to support you!

~Fran

Don't push the working out ! your only 2 weeks out. Try walking around the block, if your not tired, walk a little farther, BUT DON" PUSH IT !

At myfitnesspal.com most of us are there from this site. You will journal all your food and exercise. and chat with the women that are on here. Also are Diets for some of us are viewable to the public, so you can check out what where eating, that will help you a lot !. Then click on the exercise tab, and not sure but our diary might be visible to the public also. I take the dog for a walk sometimes, or stroll to the beach, and back. All this stuff adds up. When your on the home page, that's where you comment or speak up. You will see Mellisa burned 195 calories walking the dog, something like that. So as you read them, you will see what to do, and how many calories you burn.

I am Losingintime on that site, So good Luck, and get yourself started.

SOOO GLAD I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!

I had my surgery 6/28 and I've been eating so many foods the past few days that I didn't think I'd be able to eat. I've been having mac and cheese, other pastas, pretzels, crackers..... etc. I'm on the mushy stage and Pasta is listed for me to eat and unfortunately it tastes so good I have it everyday now. I have been eating more than I thought I'd be able to eat. I've been depressed with seeing a 5 lb gain since I've been adding in the other carb mushies. I also get my fill the same day as you. Aug. 9th and I agree it seems toooooo far away. So that is another thing we have in common. Today I've had a half of Protein drink, some pirates booty Snacks and a frozen baked ziti entree'. I wish I had some stronger will power right now to choose healthier options. I think I'm running with the fact that my sheet says I can have Pasta so I'm making sure I do. I know I need to add in more Protein choices, like cottage cheese and more Protein drinks. I think I've been "so hungry" that I'm almost running with things celebrating that I'm allowed to eat again even though I know I need to be careful. I didn't realize that I'd be this hungry and able to eat this much already. I had my surgery in Mexico so it's not like I have great follow up care to find out all this information. I told myself last night that just because I can eat pasta and pretzels and crackers doesn't mean I should... well what do I do? I wake up and eat carbs. It's hard... really really hard. Just wanted you to know you are NOT alone. :)

Fran and the others are right! I was banded on 6/24 and today is one of those days where I feel like I'm just on another diet and so what the heck did I get the band for! And I'm hungry! There are days like that. I am on the mush stage, after 2 weeks of Soup and shakes, and there is a lot more variety now. But I too thought I would 'feel' more after getting the band. Now I realize, thanks to this Forum, that it won't really happen until I get filled. You are worth it. Don't sabotage, just hang in there and believe in yourself and the process! We are all in this together!

JennyPenny

So glad it's not just me going through this. But I am a little scared that I may have done damage to my band because I eat too fast at times and have started a solid diet earlier than prescribed. I have to make myself eat slow, it's just very hard to do. Sometimes I get so hungry that I eat too fast. I know that I won't be able to do this when I get my fills or else it will come back up. So I have to use this time to change my whole lifestyle and how I look at food. I should look at food as only being energy for me. This is going to be a long journey. I guess I need to work up the courage to contact my nutritionist and dr. to spill the Beans. I want to get checked that I didn't do any damage or make my band slip.

I think we have all done that threw the learning process. If your not in pain, that I don't think you did any damage. But it is wise to follow up with your Dr....

Since you know you can cause damage, and you know you must learn to eat slower. "THAT'S A MUST !" Then when ever you eat, start practicing...

By the time they fill you. You will have learned some habits that go Great with the Band.

Shirley.