Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first fill in 2 days and terrified!

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would get this out of my system because its killing me and I have nobody to share my fears with. I probably shouldnt have but I have read a few horror stories regarding fills. I don't even know what to expect from mine, but:

1) I hate needles and blood ( I have the dentist drill with no anesthetic, to avoid needles... I know I have been lucky it hasn't involved nerves so far)

2) I still get all sorts of food stuck in the morning ( from mushy fruit to Protein bars or yogurt)

3) I dont yet trust myself eating w/o sipping Water after every tiny bite when eating in public ( which defeats the whole purpose, I know, but avoids unwanted situations in public)

and yet, I know its time for a fill because:

1) I havent lost one gram in 8 weeks, only lost while on liquids

2) Im eating almost 2/3rds of what i used to eat before the band, and

3) my doctor wanted to give me a fill 6 weeks ago and I wasn't ready ( mentally).

So, I'm going in on thursday and I still haven't really sorted out my feelings. I have fought obesity for so long.... then I gave up 6 years ago or so and pretended to be happy with myself - which I sort of am - very happy with the me that lives inside the fat suit.... Im not happy with the suit) and right now i feel very confused with how to go through this process and the excuses I have been making to avoid .... well, having to explain too much to family and friends.

Ok, enough! :) thanx

tellie

Tellie,

Trust me...fills are so easy...no need to worry...I was scared out of my mind...they gave me a shot to numb me and that was all I felt...

Can you bring someone with you to hold your hand...lame I know but it helped me...or...ask a nurse to hold your hand...sometimes a little security does alot!

Hi Tellie,

CALM DOWN. It is not as big a deal as you are making it to be. It really isn't. It sounds like you are stressing too much. First of all there is no blood involved... at least there wasn't any in mine. Second they numb the skin first and then do a fill. But the most important thing you can do for yourself is to stay calm and take deep breaths. Everything gets worse when you add stress to it.

I had a fill in September and then had to go back for an un-fill. The only part I was uncomfortable with was the initial prick to numb the skin. Thats all. After that you don't feel anything and it's over before you know it.

Take it easy and relax. Just think of the positive outcome, you will start losing weight again!

Good Luck,

Mary:)

Tellie, I'm also a serious needle-phobic so I can totally understand where you're coming from. But I can assure you it is nothing to worry about!

Does your doctor use the fluoroscope? If so, you never even have to see the needle. When I had a fill I was lying on a table and this big machine was over my midsection blocking all my vision. I couldn't see a thing, and could hardly feel anything either.

It really is no big deal at all and doesn't involve any blood. PLEASE relax because I know you know stressing will only make it worse. It's way better than going to the dentist because you can close your eyes and just concentrate on relaxing whereas with the dentist you have to keep your mouth gaping open the whole time!

Please come back and let us know how it went. Good luck! :)

My first fill is in 4 days and I CAN'T WAIT. I hate needles but i havent' lost an ounce in weeks!!! i workout, i eat 1/2 of what i used to etc. but nada. i wish my fill was today!!! good luck. it will be a breeze!!!!

( I have the dentist drill with no anesthetic)

Wow - you are my hero!!! I would rather have a fill every day for a month than have one tooth filled - even WITH novacaine!! My tooth nerves must be very close to the surface because any dental work is extremely painful for me. I've had two fills (band) and they were a breeze. The anticipation is FAR WORSE than the actual event. Trust me.

Thanx everyone :)

Ok, I wont lie, I am still very scared, but you do make me feel so much better! I will let you know how I go tomorrow. It is horrible, but at some stage I did consider bringing my 2 year old to hold my hand! but I don't want her to see me loose it ( in case I do). I don't know if they use a machine but whenever my doc described the procedure he just mentioned the needle part like there is nothing to it (which makes me suspicious being well, the way I am!)

Good luck Glitz!

Thank you everyone

Tellie