Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding The Lap Band Green Zone

You are definitely overfilled. Your doctor knows about your discomfort? If it has been over a month since your last adjustment i would recommend another visit to your doctor's office for a small unfill. The fact that you are not losing any weight is totally normal. If you cannot eat a small amount of chicken breast and you can eat half a kilo of icecream,then you will not lose.period.

P.S. For me green zone does not adjust your appetite. Even now i want to eat more than i can bare. Green zone is knowing that if you continue eating your stomach will hurt.And after a while, you are sick and tired of trying to eat Pasta and having a discomfort for 2 hours.So..you stop trying.And that's it.Meanwhile you are enjoying your new body.And Pasta becomes boring and unworthy.

Anyone want to help me what Zone I might be in? I'm confused.

1-discomfort when eating 75% of the time.

2-still hungry so choose wrong foods to eat to fill me up, ice cream, Snacks, etc.

this is where I get confused

3-only have spit up (sorry, gross) Water mucousy stuff once since banded in June AND

4-have only loss 28 lbs total since banded in June (start was 243 and now 215).

Seem to be stuck and not loosing any more weight!

I can eat but it takes me about 45 minutes to eat a meal. I feel hungry and I can eat but it takes me a long time and I think sometimes I might not be banded enough b/c of not loosing any more weight but it usually hurts to eat. So where am I???? I am still hungry after some meals so I will eat bad foods for me, ice cream or milk and Cookies. Being honest here. lol I definately couldn't imagine getting a fill since it hurts so much to eat now but I'm not loosing weight either.

Thanks and thanks for posting the chart Alex!

thanks

great article

keep them coming

So, what's the "green zone" and how do you get there from here?

The green zone is an expression that's often used to describe where a LAP-BAND® patient is in regards tohis/her hunger and eating regime. Certainly, just because a patient has had surgery doesn't mean they can eat whatever they want or that they can maintain the same food choices they've made in the past. Far from it.

In order for a tool like the LAP-BAND® System to work effectively, it needs to be fine tuned. That requires multiple visits to a care provider that has the ability to adjust the band, whether that's putting more Fluid in or taking some out which as you likely already know adjusts the "fit" (or restriction) of the band. Just know that it's a process to get there and requires assessments from a healthcare provider to get you to the "green zone".

Many bariatric practices require frequent "office visits" post surgery so as to monitor a patient's progress, offer encouragement and perhaps to perform an adjustment. Many people say that a key advantage of the LAP-BAND® System over the other procedural alternatives is that it's adjustable. And reversible too for that matter. Every LAP-BAND® System has the ability to be customized for fit, so as to bring about a sense of satisfaction(lack of hunger) to the patient after a modest and healthy meal.

Comparisons from one patient to the next in regards to who has what amount of Fluid in their specific band is futile. We're all different people inside and out. And even two people of similar size (on the outside) may not require the same amount of fluid in order to both feel satiated. So, stop asking your fellow band patients how much fluid they have in their band. Their answer won't matter to your LAP-BAND®.

What does matter – is your hunger and getting you to your "green zone".

Imagine a color spectrum moving from yellow to green to red. I know, the colors are not in the order we were all taught in school – but bear with me. Think of it as the colors of a stop light. Yellow means caution. Green means go, while red indicates it's time to stop. Some would say that yellow represents "not quite there" while red indicates you may be over filled. And that leaves us with green. The best zone of the 3. It's the "go zone". Fully satisfied after modest meals, eating the right kinds of foods and losing weight.

post-203688-13813139874233_thumb.png

Here are a few questions to help you identify within which zone you're currently residing.

post-203688-1381313987463_thumb.jpg

Your healthcare professional may also ask you

• How often are you hungry?
  • What foods have you eaten recently?
  • What foods give you trouble?
  • What are your portion sizes?
  • What time is your first meal of the day?
  • What time of day is your last meal?
  • Do you drink liquids with your meals?
  • And how often do you exercise?

All of these are good questions for self reflection as well – but you'll only get "a fill" (if needed ofcourse) by seeing and being evaluated by a qualified professional from your bariatric surgeon's office.

Allergan's Executive Council of top LAP-BAND® surgeons from across the country recommends 11 visits within the first year of your surgery in order to optimize your excess weight loss results. Read that again. 11 visits within year 1. Let's be clear though, success is not just EWL or # of pounds lost – it's about feeling good and being healthy. And getting back to doing the things you enjoy.

The aftercare algorithm that Allergan's experts came up with are only their recommendations. They are only for others to consider as each healthcare professional is responsible forhis/her own medical decisions. But with that said, here's what they came up with: Follow up visits should occur at week 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 and then again at 24 months.

That's 11 visits within 12 months of your surgery date. So with that said, if you're a year out and you aren't seeing the results you anticipated and also haven't seen your support team several times over the course of the last 12 months, you need to ask yourself why?

And if you're not in the "green zone", call your bariatric surgeon's office and ask for an appointment to discuss your options.

Thank you Alex. I'm getting back to the program after giving up in September. So frustrated. I'm definately NOT in the Green Zone but was so disgusted with the criticism from the PA. I know she was trying to be helpful but I wouldn't be in this situation if it were easy for me! Keeping it under 1,000 calories a day is hard when you are starving! I stopped going for fills after my last appointment in September because I was so frustrated. I feel that at 5.5 cc's I should be feeling "Something?" but I'm not. So, I'm going to give this another shot, maybe I need more to get in the "Green" - THank you and I'm taking this chart with me, very helpful and maybe it will help me communicate better with my PA. Thanks again

Good luck slm2007. I am going for my third fill tomorrow. I have some restriction but am not in the green zone yet. I actually had the PA say that it's not about the numbers! Really? Then why are we banded? I had to take out my Iphone with my weight watchers app ( I go every week for support and weigh in) and show her my weight record because the surgeon's office messes up the record and their scalevis admittedly 6 lbs over! And I go to a bariatric center of excellence. Hard to believe. So hang in and don't give up!!

I am so unsure if what I am feeling is related to the fill, just because of the band, or is something wrong?

I tend to have discomfort (not pain) under my rib area on the side of my port access. This usually happens when I have been sitting for a period of time (long car rides) and not all the time.

Also, it is difficult to eat Breakfast. I can barely get my meds down and 3 oz. of greek yogurt, taking me about 45 minutes. Is this normal?

BTW, weight loss has slowed to about 1.5 lbs /week.

(I was banded in August 2011 and am currently down 60 lbs, for a total of 90 lbs off.)

Thank you Alex. This is most helpful. I was banded June 21 and had my 1st 4cc fill 3 weeks later. I have another fill scheduled for next week. I'm not at the sweet spot yet but after reading this, I know now what the green zone will look like. BTW, is is common to feel like you are adjusting to a fill even 2 weeks afterwards?

Other questions:

For the over 50 crowd, dealing with joint pain and exercise. I know I have to move more and with arthritis pain in my knees and ankles, it's really hard. Especially since my doc wants me to cut out nsaids due to potential stomach inflammation issues. I'm early in the process and know even a little bit every day pays off. Maybe I'm expecting too much from myself...

.... this is interesting and im in this catagory . i have two knee replacements, up to 18 surgeries on my knees from teenage years and now bad feet and hips as well. So... how does one exercise when their hips are locking and their feet are so bad?? this is something im pondering on.

im hoping to have banding done in the next 8 weeks or so. im having the procedure done because of arthritis.

one good thing, i dont take anti inflammatories.

im wanting to change my diet from an acidic one to an alkaline one. i know that Barley green is a marvellous food that helps an acidic system return to its natural alkaline state.This is significant in easing arthritis. i will be having this as a significant part of my diet when im done.

i hope that you are able to get past the meds. and find relief some other way. Perhaps an alkaline diet would do it for you as well?? judych

I love the chart, I have thought I was maybe over-filled, but my significant other disagrees (yes, it is my body I know.) It takes me an hour to two hours to eat 4-6 oz chicken, I usually stop eating d/t discomfort from band, not fullness. I think I should get a little taken out after reading this. I have been pretty miserable since my last fill.

Thanks again!

Great info Alex. I am curious how I can be in the green zone 100% without even a fill. I contacted my surgeon and I was told that the band was not filled during the operation. I am not sure how people are able eat healthy and get 1000 calories a day. I have have to supplement with a few shakes to keep the calories and Protein levels where they need to be. I am scheduled for my first fill in a week. My weight loss has been short of amazing and I am curious if I even need a fill.

Thank you Alex. This is most helpful. I was banded June 21 and had my 1st 4cc fill 3 weeks later. I have another fill scheduled for next week. I'm not at the sweet spot yet but after reading this, I know now what the green zone will look like. BTW, is is common to feel like you are adjusting to a fill even 2 weeks afterwards?

Other questions:

For the over 50 crowd, dealing with joint pain and exercise. I know I have to move more and with arthritis pain in my knees and ankles, it's really hard. Especially since my doc wants me to cut out nsaids due to potential stomach inflammation issues. I'm early in the process and know even a little bit every day pays off. Maybe I'm expecting too much from myself...

hi iM over 50...Im 65 going on 66. i have the same issues with arthritis. im not taking any meds for it though, just some osteo painkillers when really necessary. but, having said that, im not exercising much. apart from doing my housework im not out and about. i would like to walk but im concerne a lot about falling at this stage. i need to get into swimming. im hoping to set up with family and a friend so we can travel regularly to swim for a few hours. as much as possible. im sure this will start to work well with my joints. then, perhaps, i can start walking again. i have wonderful walks here.. we live close to the sea.

TY. Very very informative. I think foods that irritate the band might be another - coffee, or hot foods as in spicy. Some of us like the seasoning and I am wondering what irritates.. I do not do hot sauce, etc but,,, defenitely wondering about the onions garlic and other spices, Tomato sauce, maybe someone else has this issue?

Thanks for this chart, it's a new tool that I needed. I have been bandned since summer 2009 and have lost only 25 pounds now, having gained back 15. Seeing this chart plus reading another bandster's post saying she got a fill every month for a year and lost 175 pounds! made me realize that my failure could be converted to success-I just need to regroup on my thinking, and give up the idea that 4 or 5 fills should be all I need to have me on the road to success. It does for some apparently, just not me.

This last fill was the first time I felt restriction ever, but it didn't last more than 3 months. My doctor in Mexico said it shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 fills, but perhaps that was him trying to be positive and encouraging-but didn't really answer my specific situation.

So I am now going back to get another fill, and potentially more if I need to. Yes, I will have to pay more money-grumble, grumble-but I have to try everything. Without restriction I am just on a diet, and that has been a lifetime of yo-yo-ing for me.

Alex,

Hi! I haven't been on in awhile and definitely need to get back on. I have noticed that my appetite is getting back up there and I actually gained 3 pounds and I am scared to death. My surgery was in Sept and I have only had 1 fill . That seemed to be fine till now. My problem is that now I still get stuck once or twice a week and if it wasn't for that I think I could keep on eating. I'm really scared/confused because I want another fill to hopefully get me full but scared that I will get stuck more often. When I get stuck it is the worse most uncomfortable feeling and I start sweating and feel terrible. But would still never regret having the surgery it was the best thing I could have done for myself and family !!! It's strange but I'm already feeling better about everything just getting back on here and talking about it. I think I have been feeling to content and not really watching what I eat as much as I was in the beginning. I had forgotten and was using a straw for about a month or more do you think that is why I can eat more because I stretched my pouch? Would a fill help that?

morrissong, how are you doing?

yep..ive been up against it , but now its sorting itself out and my digestive system is back to tolerating spices again, and im really happy about that. im nearly 2 months out from surgery. i think that in time it will come right. Those of you who love spices will be able to tolerate them again, im sure. i am. There has been such a major upheaval going on with our bodies that issues are bound to crop up, especially with richer or spicier foods. Hang in there.