Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help, something is not right

I've had the band for almost two years and never really had anything that got stuck, BUT oh! something is not quite right!

I ate some barbecue beef last night and I guess over did it. I felt tight after eating and my port was hard and stinging a bit. The port and pressure was nothing new, everytime I eat any too much, that is what I feel.

To top things off, I ate a dense muffin and Cookies on top of the bbq. I didn't sleep well, worried that my binging sweets late at night had become too often.

This morning I got up and still felt the pressure on the port. I ate a few cherios and some milk and coffee, then later some whole wheat crackers. Now I feel really stuck, if that is what it is.

I feel like food is all the way up my esophagus into the back of my throat! I just drank a half teaspoonof meat tenderizer.

Help!!

(It's been 20 hours since the bbq/muffin, and I wonder if having a stuck problem usually lasts this long.)

First of all, stop eating more food for a while. If you're stuck, you don't need to keep adding more. You can (and should) sip on Water, tea, and other very low calorie fluids, but no more solids for the time being.

Call your doctor's office and let them know what's going on. Yes, I know it's the weekend and a holiday.. stuff happens. They will appreciate being told now rather than at 2am when you can't stand the feeling anymore.

Consider getting some papaya enzyme chewable tablets.

Sip Water and wait for things to get better. The blockage will either ease, or the water will cause it to back up and you might be able to regurgitate it back up. Or, it will get to the point where you'll need to meet your surgeon somewhere for an emergency unfill. That's why I suggest calling now.

Hope you feel better soon.

What a horrible way to respond to someone who is scared. One day you might need some compassion. I hope you get it when you need it and remember how helpful a compassionate response can be.

I know right why are you still stuffing your face. Stop eating and let your stomach rest. My God what are you thinking you got food stuck then you add more on top of it plus meat tenderizer what is that supposed to do. For God sake let your stomach rest and drink liquids. Your shoving food on top of crap that is already stuck.

Kieras, hello, yes you do need to stop eating but it may not be food that you are feeling, just swelling. Sipping Water is good, or some warmish tea. That helps me. Then if the water goes down go on a liquid diet for a couple of days and slowly build up to solids. Let us know how you are doing. You can actually stretch out you esophagus when food backs up. One more thing to think about is that you couldn't have been hungry when you ate the muffins and Cookies. That was emotional eating, you might want to think about why you did this to yourself. You hurt yourself with food., what made you do that. You don't have to share that with us, but just think about it.

Thanks Check Yes!, that needed to be said. Please kieras stop eating, let your tummy rest. I made this mistake last summer and had to get an unfill. I was chewing enzyme tablets daily. It was my first time being stuck and I didn't know not to try to eat the next day, so I made a bad moment into about 6 weeks of pain. Didn't do any real damage but I could have. Hang in there with liquids for a few days and move up slowly. :huh:

To the negative Nancy above-

Really? How rude?!?

You also made a rude comment on one of my posts today as well...

If you don't have anything nice to say.... Then don't say anything at all...

So this is when i stop talking! : )

I agree I think that was rude~

Since she has been banded for two years and never got stuck before - she obviously does not know what to do - hence the reason for posting her question and attempt for help....

What a horrible way to respond to someone who is scared. One day you might need some compassion. I hope you get it when you need it and remember how helpful a compassionate response can be.

Drink warm Water (not COLD), it will either go down or come up. Hopefully go down. Once you feel it go threw, keep drinking a glass or two just to make sure your clear. Now what ever you do do not eat,,, your to swollen ! So stay on liquids for 3 days, then mushies for a day, then try food. You might think about a fill to kill your hunger. How long since you had one? Or is it Head Hunger? You know what it is,,,,, your not a newbie. So you need to deal with your problem.

That is my surgeon's recipe for being stuck, and it works ! Even if 2 days go by, and you think your fine. don't eat ! You could swell rite back up.

Hope you feel better, Shirley.

This is all good info to know since I've yet to be banded. Hope everything works out for you... because I'm an emotional eater (constantly "head hungry") your post, Kieras, helps me to be prepared for situations such as this that may arise. I pray that all goes well with you and that you "recover" quickly from this.

~ Compassion, empathy and helpful knowledge can go hand in hand in times of uncertainty and fear.

To the negative Nancy above-

Really? How rude?!?

You also made a rude comment on one of my posts today as well...

If you don't have anything nice to say.... Then don't say anything at all...

So this is when i stop talking! : )

I reported her.; I had seen the post to you and the one here as well. I went to her profile and read a post about someone's ticker needing to be changed because it had movement. We come here for answers and had I done that last year I might not have gone backward.. I think most of us are here to support, get support and commune with others who face the same issues we do. If we were able to do everything right we wouldn't need the band. Yes, we need the band. It works differently for each of us. Many lose without ever having a fill, some need their bands almost full to get to the right place. And there are many like me who get so dang happy about having lost the 20-30 or 40 lbs. we never thought we'd loose, we fall off the wagon in happiness. I went over a year without a problem. I almost felt bad about some of my posts because I didn't have problems like some others here. Maybe I just had an outstanding surgeon, or I am just really strong and bounce back well. Whatever your need, progress or ability you should be able to share it here without a negative reply!

I reported her.; I had seen the post to you and the one here as well. I went to her profile and read a post about someone's ticker needing to be changed because it had movement. We come here for answers and had I done that last year I might not have gone backward.. I think most of us are here to support, get support and commune with others who face the same issues we do. If we were able to do everything right we wouldn't need the band. Yes, we need the band. It works differently for each of us. Many lose without ever having a fill, some need their bands almost full to get to the right place. And there are many like me who get so dang happy about having lost the 20-30 or 40 lbs. we never thought we'd loose, we fall off the wagon in happiness. I went over a year without a problem. I almost felt bad about some of my posts because I didn't have problems like some others here. Maybe I just had an outstanding surgeon, or I am just really strong and bounce back well. Whatever your need, progress or ability you should be able to share it here without a negative reply!

YES~! I reported her as well... I looked at her profile and it was all negative comments... On her own things and others blogs... ect...

Thanks CheckYes for quoting the response you were calling out! It was deleted. I would have been confused thinking you were talking about Melissannde who gives great info!

To the OP, welcome to LBT, hope you are feeling better. The meat tenderizer was a great idea, I hope it helped. I'd say don't put ANYTHING down for several hours and see how you are doing. Did you feel like the tenderizer/water combo went down at all? When I am well and truly stuck, I cannot eat or drink anything without triggering a slime/drool reaction.

Like a previous poster said, I am thinking perhaps it went down, but not without a fight and you are swollen. If I were stuck and tried some Cereal, it would have been disastrous. The fact that it stayed down, but was uncomfortable makes me think of swelling more than still stuck.

I'd give it a couple hours then try sipping some Water, then some juice, then a Protein shake. Slowing moving to mushies then solids.

Feel better soon!

Wal-Mart carries the Payapa Enzyme, I always have a small amount with me. If I chew about 4, it works really well. My doctor said no to the meat tenerizer.

everyone's given you great advice already, but I want to know... how are you doing? Are you okay? Feeling better yet? I sincerely hope all is well. Thank you for sharing your experience; it gives us noobs something to think about and consider.

Someone mentioned doing liquids for a few days then mushies. I totally second this. Treat the episode as if you got a fill and allow you digestive system calm down. I also think the meat tenderizer was a good idea if you got stuck with meat. I never though of that. But, wow, choking some of that down must have sucked :( Another suggestion is to try some pineapple juice. I've used the papaya enzyme and pineapple juice, and they both work nicely for me. Sounds like you've been doing great for two years. Don't get too discouraged by this episode! If you go another day feeling crappy, I do think you should call you dr. The office is there to support you too.

Re that poster. Many of her posts are rude, vitriolic and passive aggressive typed diarrhea with little to contribute. I tend to steer clear of any threads where she contributes only because I don't want to reward that behavior. However, that's unfortunate for those who start that thread :(