Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was really hoping that I would NEVER have a "stuck" episode. I actually feared the thought of ever vomiting. It terrified me about having an episode. I HATE to throw up! But so far I have been tolerating food very well, well up until tonight anyway. It happened, I got stuck and it was BAD! Although this is not a question for the forum, I just wanted to mention to anyone who is just starting to get your fills, You need to be extremely aware of what you eat! Once you get back on to solid food after surgery, and you are hungry, you start to eat normal again, and once I started getting my fills, I just thought that if I chewed up my food really good (whatever it may be), that it wouldn't be an issue. I was able to eat anything pretty much without feeling stuck (bread, chicken, popcorn) After my first fill, everything was going down fine, not a problem at all, even after my second fill, I could tell if it didn't feel right, but no biggie, just knew not to eat that again. But I got my third fill at the beginning of the week, and it was too much, so he had to give me a slight, unfill of 1/2 cc. I was feeling great again and thought, I will have some angel hair noodles tonight. I haven't had any problems eating them before, so didn't think it would be a problem. Boy was I wrong! Not to be gross, but I slimed, dry heaved, vomited and felt miserable for about 2 hours. What a huge difference 1/2 cc will make in your band! I know that everyone is different, but just wanted to warn everyone who hasn't gotten to a "tigher" restriction, just be really concious after you start getting those fills because what you ate last week may not go down today! Getting struck really sucks, and I will say that even though I have enjoyed those noodles since being banded, I don't think I will EVER be eating them again! At least I know that there is definitely restriction now! Good luck to all of you just starting this journey and to all of us who are "trying to figure out our fills" I wish no one had to ever go through that!

Thanks for sharing! And I am sorry you had a stuck episode. I have only had one fill two 1/2 weeks ago so food is still going down easily for me.

I hope you feel better!

Just FYI, you may need to go on liquids again for a day or two until the swelling goes down. I know from experience. Also hot tea helps alot.

I've had 2 episodes of stuck. It was very scary both times. I felt like I couldn't breathe. The nurse at my Doc's office said keep pineapple juice on hand for "stuck" episodes. Drink a small amount if you are stuck, it helps break up the food. I went out and bought some and keep a small can in my purse. Luckily I haven't had any more episodes of stuck so don't know if it works. I hope never to have another episode. I chew, chew, chew and stay away from Pasta, bread and rice. I eat with a baby spoon. It reminds to keep my bites small.

Yes, angel hair was something I used to love. Now, it is the #1 one Pasta I stay away from. I don't eat much pasta, but definitely not angel hair. I think it kind of slides down and gets caught. Yuck! Glad you feel better, but I, also, caution folks to be aware that 1/2 cc makes a big difference. I had to have 1st a 1/2 c taken ot, and then again, another because I was GERD'ing all night long. After the 2nd one, lost the GERD problem. Good luck, everyone. Karen

Always great to advise people to take it easy after a fill!

There is a learning curve to what has changed. Angel hair Pasta seems to regroup once in the pouch. I have the same problem with lasagna. Regular noodles are fine for me.

Also, once at a good fill level some foods will go down fine one day, but not so fine the next. My band is my fickle friend named Bandit because he steals meals from me.

pineapple juice didn't work for me, but many say it does. Also you might try papaya enzyme chewables. You can get the in the supplement section. If you are going to carry something in your purse, they'd be easier.

After a bad stuck episode, I take it very easy and do liquids for the rest of that day and most of the next, maybe more depending on how I am feeling.

So what happens if your at work and something gets stuck. Can you still talk and continue to work like everything is " ok" how do you deal with your coworkers when you get an episode.

A good thing to remember, and make it a habit is: whenever they fill or unfilled you, you should go to liquids. if you don't,, you could swell up, and then you have to start on fluids.

Are rule that works well is 3 days of Liquids, ! day mushies, then try food.< /p>

Usually by this time, if you eat, you wont swell up.

So keep this in mind, and I'm sure things could be easier for you.

Always great to advise people to take it easy after a fill!

There is a learning curve to what has changed. Angel hair Pasta seems to regroup once in the pouch. I have the same problem with lasagna. Regular noodles are fine for me.

Also, once at a good fill level some foods will go down fine one day, but not so fine the next. My band is my fickle friend named Bandit because he steals meals from me.

pineapple juice didn't work for me, but many say it does. Also you might try papaya enzyme chewables. You can get the in the supplement section. If you are going to carry something in your purse, they'd be easier.

After a bad stuck episode, I take it very easy and do liquids for the rest of that day and most of the next, maybe more depending on how I am feeling.

I think your band name is funny! and boy what a differnece 5cc to 5.5cc will make! I was able to pretty much eat anything, and would know when to stop, but now, I have to be EXTREMELY careful. I am almost afraid to eat. But it's definitely working, and what it's supposed to do, so I just need to get used to it!

I think your band name is funny! and boy what a differnece 5cc to 5.5cc will make! I was able to pretty much eat anything, and would know when to stop, but now, I have to be EXTREMELY careful. I am almost afraid to eat. But it's definitely working, and what it's supposed to do, so I just need to get used to it!

Such a tiny amount of Fluid, such a HUGE change, eh? When I hit that level of restriction, I started a habit of pausing before a meal and reminding myself to take small bites and eat slowly. It helps to slow me down to band speed, especially when I am very hungry and want to take that huge first bite.

I really appreciate this post a lot, and the advice therein. I haven't gotten any fills yet, and I'm glad to know this ahead of time for when I do. Thank you so much!