Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys! Greetings from band land! I got banded on 7/6 and was home by noon the next day. Operation went very well, only three incisions and they all feel OK. Gas pains are sucky but walking does make it better. I'm super glad my two boys are spending the week with my parents, there is no way I could have taken care of them when I got back yesterday. If you have children and an option for extended childcare, I would greatly suggest it as you are going to need a little time to heal. I can't really keep down much more than Water at this point (ice chips really) so I'm going to try putting other things in ice trays ( juice, Protein Shakes, etc.). Overall feeling OK, just looking forward to a full recovery soon and my boys coming home.

Thank you for the powdered Peanut Butter idea and link, that sounds delish!

How long did everyone's gas pains last? I need HOPE...

I'm on day 4 and they have definately gotten better. =)

Daniella: My surgeon says Clear Liquids for the first 48 hours and full liquids for at least five days after that. A full liquid is pretty much anything you can get through a straw, though he suggests Protein Shakes, yogurt, pudding, and Soup or Cereal (like Cream of Wheat) that's been thinned out with milk or Water. If the soup has any chunks of anything, they need to be put through a blender.

I think that during the full liquid recovery period, the ice cream is okay, though not something you should get used to. My dr. said that there were a lot of things allowed during the first week that wouldn't be a good idea later. But the NUT in his office also said that she suggests allowing yourself a treat once in a while so you don't feel deprived.

This is a lapband diet guide that I found online; it's very similar to the one my doctor uses. Maybe it can help you, too: www.laplose.com/Media/Forms/LapBandDietGuideNew.pdf

As far as speeding up the process, all you can do is stay hydrated and walk, walk, walk to get the gas out.

Hope you're doing well!

I was banded this past Tuesday. I'm still having gas pains and I'm still unsure when I am suppose to eat. I don't really have an appetite. I also think I broke a rule. I bought sugar free fat free ice cream and I had a little bit. For the most part I feel good. I just wish this gas would pass. Does anyone have any ideas of what I need to do to speed up this process.

Doing so much better. I went for a .5 mile walk last night and held my diapraghm up as I walked. This did the trick because last night I slept and OH MY GOODNESS I passed gas like mad.

Now that this unpleasant phase is hopefully a mere memory I need to concentrate on Protein. Didn't drink any yesterday.

Oh, weight back down to pre-surgery level. 177.8. Am worried I haven't had enough Protein or calories and that this is pushing my body into starvation mode.

a tablespoon of PB in my vanilla Protein Shake in the blender was fine for me....no problems at all. I guess it depends on how you are eating it?

I also have had no problem with Peanut Butter, but I have been blending it with my Protein shake...

Glad to hear you're doing well! I guess I should be thankful that I live alone and don't have to worry about kids or a husband when I'm recovering. :)

Hi guys! Greetings from band land! I got banded on 7/6 and was home by noon the next day. Operation went very well, only three incisions and they all feel OK. Gas pains are sucky but walking does make it better. I'm super glad my two boys are spending the week with my parents, there is no way I could have taken care of them when I got back yesterday. If you have children and an option for extended childcare, I would greatly suggest it as you are going to need a little time to heal. I can't really keep down much more than Water at this point (ice chips really) so I'm going to try putting other things in ice trays ( juice, Protein Shakes, etc.). Overall feeling OK, just looking forward to a full recovery soon and my boys coming home.

Thank you for the powdered Peanut Butter idea and link, that sounds delish!

I'm celebrating my 1 week!!!!!! I totally agree with getting as much help from others as possible while you recover. I foolishly thought I would be up and back to normal in 2-3 days, when that didn't happen I was shocked!! Thank God my husband took his vacation time to help me out with the house and our daughter and I have to say, I'm glad to be on Summer vacation so I don't have to go to work. Today is my best day yet, I drove my daughter to camp, did a little laundry and alittle cleaning. It is also the first day that I haven't napped in the am. I'm trying to cut the naps out so I can sleep better at night. Any new bandsters out there, take it slow and give it time.........this too shall pass, oh yeah, I'm addicted to my scale, I am 14lbs down from when I got home from the hospital last Saturday!!! Monday is my post-op appt with my surgeon, they said to expect to be there about 2 hours, first we have a group nutrition class and then the exam with the dr! WOOO HOOOOOO!!!! Mushies.........here I come!!

I had my first mushy meal! I had 1/2 packet of apple cinnamon oatmeal (don't like it but still ate it) and 1/2 stick of pepperjack cheese. I'm using myfitnesspal.com to plan my day of meals. I was practically foaming at the mouth last night when I was planning today. I'll blog about it more, but take a look at myfitnesspal. I can use it on my iPhone for free and then I can also bring up the data on my computer. I'm not too tech savvy, but I've figured it out. Take some time and play around with it.

Here's how I ate my first "real" food. I prepared the oatmeal packet and then ran it through the magic bullet to make sure there weren't any leftover apple pieces. I ate it one small bite at a time, waiting 1 minute between each bite. It took about 10-15 minutes. I waited 2-3 minutes and then ate the 1/2 cheese stick. I realized I had forgotten the cardinal rule (eat Protein first!). Oops.

After I was finished, I went and laid down on my bed so I could feel for tummy sounds since I still don't understand what is just normal gurgling and what is hungry. After about 30 minutes, I decided to eat the other half of the cheese stick. It was so good. Unfortunately, I must have been full already, because after I finished the other half, I felt SO FULL. Not to the point of chest pains, but like I'd eaten a huge meal. I have that sleepy feeling I get after Thanksgiving dinner!!

I have my day carefully planned with small, easy amounts. There's aren't really any veggies today, mostly just things I like to eat that should agree with my tummy. Take about anxiety, though. All I can think of is food and even though I'm full, I still want to know when my next meal is. Getting to know when I feel hungry is going to be a big task. Not drinking immediately before, during or after is meal is going to be strange as well.

It has been a long two weeks without solids. Baby steps, Amy.....baby steps. I'm still super tired and I know I'm not getting enough Water, but I'm going to work on that today.

Amy :)

I'm celebrating my 1 week!!!!!! I totally agree with getting as much help from others as possible while you recover. I foolishly thought I would be up and back to normal in 2-3 days, when that didn't happen I was shocked!! Thank God my husband took his vacation time to help me out with the house and our daughter and I have to say, I'm glad to be on Summer vacation so I don't have to go to work. Today is my best day yet, I drove my daughter to camp, did a little laundry and alittle cleaning. It is also the first day that I haven't napped in the am. I'm trying to cut the naps out so I can sleep better at night. Any new bandsters out there, take it slow and give it time.........this too shall pass, oh yeah, I'm addicted to my scale, I am 14lbs down from when I got home from the hospital last Saturday!!! Monday is my post-op appt with my surgeon, they said to expect to be there about 2 hours, first we have a group nutrition class and then the exam with the dr! WOOO HOOOOOO!!!! Mushies.........here I come!!

I was just sitting here thinking that my thoughts seem to be consumed by food lol I can't wait to be able to eat mushies!! I dreamed of a cheeseburger last night *sigh* I know I wont be having that on mushies it was just a comment to show where my brain is at right now. I'm hoping that when I can eat mushies I won't be so darn focused on eating! I swear I didn't think this much about food before the band. Hopefully this passes as you start to eat real food. I have even considered started mushies early, I just don't want to mess anything up. I'm only a week post-op and I feel like I haven't eaten in months lol

I found some "bacon cheeseburger" seasoning at Target. Not the best nutritionally (lots of sodium), but I my idea is that once I'm able to tolerate more texture, maybe I could sprinkle a little bit on some chicken and, with a little imagination, have a "cheeseburger." :) Maybe one day, some finely chopped ground beef, but we'll see.

Amy

I was just sitting here thinking that my thoughts seem to be consumed by food lol I can't wait to be able to eat mushies!! I dreamed of a cheeseburger last night *sigh* I know I wont be having that on mushies it was just a comment to show where my brain is at right now. I'm hoping that when I can eat mushies I won't be so darn focused on eating! I swear I didn't think this much about food before the band. Hopefully this passes as you start to eat real food. I have even considered started mushies early, I just don't want to mess anything up. I'm only a week post-op and I feel like I haven't eaten in months lol

Im finnally on the post op side. Yippee! I wasn't banded until 2:15 yesterday and came home at about 7:30 . Last night was rough, but I walked the night away. Today was much better. Some gas pain and some discomfort. But I'm keeping up on the meds. I have a neausea patch on as well as a nausea Bracelet on and that has really helped. I'm sooooooo thirsty and trying to keep as much liquid down as possible. But I was able to rest fairly comfortably today. The meds make me extraordinarily sleepy. So all In all things are going well.

It sounds like many of you are having some similar issues. And some of you are lucky enough to be on mushies already. That won't be till week 3 for me.

Day 1 of mushies...I had some potatoes with melted cheese, and they were potato chunks so I mashed them up with my fork before eating them. I think I may have eaten them too fast (something that I need to really work on) even though I was careful to chew really well. I was fine right after so I started thinking I was good, and then about 20 minutes later I started to have mild stomach cramping...is this because my body is not used to having real food versus liquids? Or is it because I ate too fast? I think it will take a while for me to learn what everything means?

Gas pain back today not as bad as before. Percocet and gas-x helping.

I wish there was some magic answer to these food questions we have. I'm going to try some potatoes tonight with some cheese, but only a small amount. I've only been able to eat maybe 2 tablespoons at all today. I had the same experience earlier today....I was even writing down the time I started and the times when I burped or showed some sign of fullness, but the discomfort really happened over an hour after I ate. Nothing horrible, but I did need a heating pad. I'm guessing I need to go with super bland stuff in small amounts....tummy just isn't used to solids at all.

Day 1 of mushies...I had some potatoes with melted cheese, and they were potato chunks so I mashed them up with my fork before eating them. I think I may have eaten them too fast (something that I need to really work on) even though I was careful to chew really well. I was fine right after so I started thinking I was good, and then about 20 minutes later I started to have mild stomach cramping...is this because my body is not used to having real food versus liquids? Or is it because I ate too fast? I think it will take a while for me to learn what everything means?