Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does using smaller utensils and plates help?

Once we can actually eat mushies and then food, would using smaller spoons/forks and plates be helpful? Would that help us to chew the right amounts? Would it help us to take longer to eat? Has anyone done this?

Once we can actually eat mushies and then food, would using smaller spoons/forks and plates be helpful? Would that help us to chew the right amounts? Would it help us to take longer to eat? Has anyone done this?

MOST DEFINITELY! :D

Yes using smaller plates and utensils does help with Portion Control and smaller bites its like eating as a baby again Good Luck !

My nutritionist said there is even a portion plate you can get so you are sure you are eating the right amount. I will borrow my daughter's utensils I guess! LOL

I like using a smaller plate. It makes me feel like I'm eating a whole meal, since I'm not seeing all the empty space on a regular plate.

I like using a smaller plate. It makes me feel like I'm eating a whole meal, since I'm not seeing all the empty space on a regular plate.

I will be doing this. I do this now - with little silverware when I'm eating a fancy dessert. hmmm .... I don't think there's going to be any fancy Desserts in my future but using the tiny silverware made me take little slivers off whatever dessert it was.

I use my 2 year old's baby utensils. It helps me feel full. You have to take twice as many bites with a baby spoon to equal the amount I would normally eat with a regular spoon. I think with the added time it takes to eat all those little bites I'm able to feel full sooner.

I know a lot of people do use smaller utensils and bread plates, but I never have. I do use luncheon size plates rather than dinner plates, but regular forks & spoons. I want to be able to be as "normal" as possible to fit into the real world.

If you find it's helpful for you.. great!! but it's not strictly necessary. I can take tiny bites from a regular spoon. :)

I used the plastic coated baby spoons during mushies! Helped a lot.

Gonna go look for some cool little baby spoons/forks!!! :lol:

I already have demitas spoons that I could use, too.

I think the visual of such small portions on a large plate

would be discouraging. As the song says.... "It's alright to be little bitty!"

I changed our family plates to luncheon plates. No one complained. I also use a salad fork instead of an entree fork. Another thing that helps is when I put my fork down between bites. I'm a year and a half out and 100 lbs down but I still struggle with portion size and head hunger.

The smaller plate really helps me to serve myself the right portion. I recently had started serving myself bigger portions (more like what the family was eating), thinking I would stop when I was full, but then eating it all! Then I got my head back on straight and returned to serving a small portion and when it was gone, I was done. I never leave the table hungry, but I'm also not overeating.

I used a smaller spoon when I started eating mushies and solid food, to give myself an idea of what a bite should look like. I'm trained now, and I use regular utensils.

I use normal silverware now, but LOVE using little saucer plates (the ones that go under tea cups) to serve myself food. That way I know that if it cant fit on the plate, it shouldn't fit in my stomach! :)

I use salad plates and have from the start of my diet, after seeing the nutritionist. She was the one that suggested that. It makes me not feel deprived. I use the bread plate at restaurants,but find it to not have a small fork to use when going out. I, always, use a dessert fork at home. It reminds me to eat slower and smaller bites. I, also, have used a toddler fork and spoon when 1st starting out. Karen