Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been tracking my calories and Protein the good old fashioned way...paper & pen. Calorie intake around 1100-1300 (based on dr recommendations following metabolism testing) and exercise (elliptical for an hour 5 times a week). Water intake 100oz/day. Protein intake 60-80g/day. So I see on the boards that a lot of people use & recommend myfitnesspal.com for tracking. Thought I would give it a shot....surgery was 5/4/11 and I've been stuck at 10 pounds pre-surgery loss and 10 pounds post-surgery loss (in first month and none since) and I've had one fill (that provided no restriction/hunger control). My question is....after you've entered all of your data (age, weight, goal, exercise, lifestyle) and it gives you a recommended calorie goal for the day.....who follows that and if you do, have you had success? Based on my input (lightly active) and current exercise, it recommends I eat 1950 calories a day. WHAT????? I know that what I've been doing is not dropping any pounds so I'm wondering if I should slightly eat more and meet the dr recommendation and the myfitnesspal.com recommendation in the middle and see how that goes? Needing feedback...thanks!!!!

I use MFP and I don't stick to their guidelines. If you go to "Goals" (under "My Home") you can change your daily calorie requirements. I set mine at 1,100 calories per day because my goal is to be between 1,000-1,100. You will also have to get used to it "yelling" at you every day when you complete the days entry because it will tell you that you aren't eating enough...just ignore it. I don't know how many calories your doctor recommends but I think you have to tweak it yourself to see what calorie level works best for you. There are a lot of people on here who stay around 1,200 calories per day but that level doesn't work for me...I just kept adjusting things (calories, Protein, carbs) every 5-7 days until I found the right level for me. Everyone's journey is different so don't be afraid to play around with things until you find what works.

I use MFP and I don't stick to their guidelines. If you go to "Goals" (under "My Home") you can change your daily calorie requirements. I set mine at 1,100 calories per day because my goal is to be between 1,000-1,100. You will also have to get used to it "yelling" at you every day when you complete the days entry because it will tell you that you aren't eating enough...just ignore it. I don't know how many calories your doctor recommends but I think you have to tweak it yourself to see what calorie level works best for you. There are a lot of people on here who stay around 1,200 calories per day but that level doesn't work for me...I just kept adjusting things (calories, Protein, carbs) every 5-7 days until I found the right level for me. Everyone's journey is different so don't be afraid to play around with things until you find what works.

Thanks Vicky. My dr recommends 1300 but that hasn't been working...no pounds lost. :( I might up it slightly based on the calories I'm burning through exercise (2500/week+) and see if that makes a difference. I know I've never lost well on high Protein (via Atkins) but it's important for us a bandsters to get it so I'm trying! Thank you for your input!!!

I am a myfitnesspal user. I have been using it for about 3 months...everyday! I love it. It makes me very accoutable to every bite I take. I say find what works best for you. You may need more calories.

I also use MyFitnessPal. It has helped me tremendously. I know what you mean about the amount of calories. On a day with no exercise it says I can have up to 2,230 calories day to maintain 1 1/2 of weight loss per week. If I exercise that number is almost 3000. I never get close to that number. I am not interested in losing weight really fast. I am more interested in gaining perspective of what I put into my system and keep a nice controlled weight loss. Plus I don't really want that deflated look.

I am working with a nutritionist and they say it is the best way to go to keep off the lbs for good.

Everyone is different though and no matter how you use it MyFitnessPal is a great product and service.

You can add me on there if you like. My username is djtheeo :) thanks

I'm scared I'm not getting enough calories at this point in my journey. That will definitely impact how much I continue to lose or don't lose, correct? I like myfitnesspal.com and think it's a great tool. It keeps telling me I need more calories, but I'm afraid it's right!

I'm scared I'm not getting enough calories at this point in my journey. That will definitely impact how much I continue to lose or don't lose, correct? I like myfitnesspal.com and think it's a great tool. It keeps telling me I need more calories, but I'm afraid it's right!

lea3277, you are still so early in your journey that I wouldn't worry about it telling you that you need more calories. I know at about 2 weeks post surgery I was only at around 700 myself. If you are still in the mushie stage, it's hard to get enough calories. It'll get easier as you transition to solid foods. Best of luck on your journey!! :)

I also use MyFitnessPal. It has helped me tremendously. I know what you mean about the amount of calories. On a day with no exercise it says I can have up to 2,230 calories day to maintain 1 1/2 of weight loss per week. If I exercise that number is almost 3000. I never get close to that number. I am not interested in losing weight really fast. I am more interested in gaining perspective of what I put into my system and keep a nice controlled weight loss. Plus I don't really want that deflated look.

I am working with a nutritionist and they say it is the best way to go to keep off the lbs for good.

Everyone is different though and no matter how you use it MyFitnessPal is a great product and service.

You can add me on there if you like. My username is djtheeo :) thanks

You are right...slow & steady wins the race!!!! I ate more calories yesterday and had a great loss today so hoping that's the start of a new trend. I'll definitely friend you because it's neat to get ideas from other's eating plans! :)

Thanks Sweetbaker....I am glad to hear that you weren't consuming your full amount either. It's just hard in the first few weeks.

My story is just like yours...I am 5 weeks post op and almost 20 lbs down

(8lbs preop diet and the 11 post op)

I also use my fitness pal. I love it! The last 2 weeks I was barely at 600 cal. And only lost 1 lb. This week due to being on my 5th post op week and being able to eat more the last 2 days I have hit 900 cal. And have lost a pound a day. I feel very satisfied. I try not to concentrate on calories, just portions and the amt of Protein needed. I have my first fill on July 12th. I hope I can drop at least 15 to 20 lbs next month.

I have not had any complications and I pretty much feel normal. I do stick to my food list only, but have not been to the gym yet. Hoping to get back at it after the 4th of July, since we will be on vacation. I do walk alot. I set my fitness pal goal to 900 cal.

I've been tracking my calories and Protein the good old fashioned way...paper & pen. Calorie intake around 1100-1300 (based on dr recommendations following metabolism testing) and exercise (elliptical for an hour 5 times a week). Water intake 100oz/day. Protein intake 60-80g/day. So I see on the boards that a lot of people use & recommend myfitnesspal.com for tracking. Thought I would give it a shot....surgery was 5/4/11 and I've been stuck at 10 pounds pre-surgery loss and 10 pounds post-surgery loss (in first month and none since) and I've had one fill (that provided no restriction/hunger control). My question is....after you've entered all of your data (age, weight, goal, exercise, lifestyle) and it gives you a recommended calorie goal for the day.....who follows that and if you do, have you had success? Based on my input (lightly active) and current exercise, it recommends I eat 1950 calories a day. WHAT????? I know that what I've been doing is not dropping any pounds so I'm wondering if I should slightly eat more and meet the dr recommendation and the myfitnesspal.com recommendation in the middle and see how that goes? Needing feedback...thanks!!!!