Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok let me ask you guys this... If someone has no restriction, what exactly is the band doing? I don't understand this myself because I'm less hungry than most bandsters and have no fill. If I have no fill, is it still applying pressure to the vagus nerve?

I could see regain being a problem if I had relied on my band for restriction but since I didn't, would I notice a difference I wonder? I can eat as much as I want - I think - I've never tested it because I now eat like I have restriction by portioning then stopping.

Yes, your band can still be applying enough pressure to the vagus nerve to help with hunger. I know for me there was a very noticeable difference just after being placed. My band was empty but I wasn't hungry. It took a few weeks for hunger to slightly return so I had a fill. As we lose fat around our stomachs the band needs more fill to be at the same tightness as it previously was. I am sure I could eat more than a cup a food at a time but I stop anyway and I don't push myself to see how much restriction I actually have. I don't test the band either. But decreased hunger is definitely my biggest benefit. I know this because every time I started eating more frequently I got a fill and then could go 4 to 5 hours between meals without hunger.

It's possible that your band does have a small amount of fill in it from surgery. That small amount may be enough to curb your appetite.

My band has no Fluid in it at all.

I expected I would need fills and never intended to do it without getting a fill. After 80 pounds lost, I would have thought it would be loose enough to need one by now. I have changed my habits though and so I can't tell if it's me or the band doing the work. I could eat anything but have eaten properly every day since surgery. The band doesn't make me do that nor does it make me go the the gym every day. I'm totally conflicted about what to do when I get to goal... I've got time to figure it out though - 42 more pounds to go.

When I got to goal I had a small unfill so I could eat better foods and without fear of getting stuck. I have been maintaining within a 4 lb range since. And have added back a few more calories to allow for some treats. Natural born skinny people have treats every once in awhile and I feel it is normal and if I allow myself a few now and again I won't binge. Before band I would diet and never allow for a treat and then I would get stressed and binge on them. My mind and body work so much better together now its amazing.

That is great that u never needed a fill. I did but not as many and as much as others. I think just knowing we went through so many things to end up with surgery that it almost immediately motivates us. And knowing we are accountable to the drs and the people around us that have been supporting us helps too. I have so many people in my life cheering me on that it really keeps me going.

I attended a Lap Band support group meeting this evening and one of the topics discussed was the fact that some people never need a fill. Some individuals are lucky enough that the band by itself is enough restriction. When I had my initial consult I was told in no uncertain terms that the band was not to be considered temporary just because it can be removed if medically necessary. I have been dieting and binge eating almost my entire life. I am tired of the dieting game. If having the band in place controls my hunger and allows me to have my life back - it can stay put and be buried with me! lol...

It sucks to be fatigued and have diarrhea... I had those symptoms for years and was finally diagnosed with a slow thyroid. I also had low Vitamin D levels. If you truly feel that removal of the band is what's best for you, who are we to talk you out of it? I know it wasn't easy to have the band put in - and you've worked so hard to lose all that weight - I think all of us “Banders” are just concerned about you and don't want you to do something you may regret later.

I wish you the very best of luck on your journey! Take Care! :D

My band has no Fluid in it at all.

I expected I would need fills and never intended to do it without getting a fill. After 80 pounds lost, I would have thought it would be loose enough to need one by now. I have changed my habits though and so I can't tell if it's me or the band doing the work. I could eat anything but have eaten properly every day since surgery. The band doesn't make me do that nor does it make me go the the gym every day. I'm totally conflicted about what to do when I get to goal... I've got time to figure it out though - 42 more pounds to go.

I wouldn't get it taken out unless it's causing problems. For me mine just reminds me to chew, otherwise I eat what I want when I want and however much I want. I never had "restriction" per say, I just got it into my head that I HAD to eat smaller meals. And yes, there were times I was hungry, but what most people don't seem to get is that being hungry is a normal signal. What isn't normal is not being able to differentiate between head and real hunger as well as being able to say no when it is merely head hunger.

Alas, eating smaller meals of 300 calories 6 times a day killed my metabolism and made me start to fear food. I felt "guilty" when I ate certain foods or I saw certain foods as "dirty." Which now I realize isn't true. I've told plenty of people that I had WLS and many have said wow you don't eat like it. And..I don't. What person who has lost 115lbs eats Cookies and ice cream, daily? Not the "healthy" kind either.

To the lady who posted that "skinny people eat treats," that's the problem. We all think skinny people "treat" themselves to certain foods, when in fact that's untrue. Skinny people generally eat what they want, and can do so, because they are more active. They are aware of what they're taking in and what they're doing to help burn said calories. Never have I come across a skinny person saying oh I'm gonna treat myself for today; never. Why? Because food is food. A calorie from an apple is the same calorie from a pack of m&ms. The fact that some foods are seen as taboo is a huge problem and that, in my opinion, is what causes people to binge.

I do love my band and I don't regret getting it, but I can say for sure that it has not helped much. Just as CheckYes said, I made the choice to eat smaller meals; I made the choice to hop on an amazing exercise routine and to stick with it for a year+ now. The band didn't do any of that, and that's what prompted my success.

re: "I don't understand this myself because I'm less hungry than most bandsters and have no fill."

I had no fill the first 6 months postOp, a period during which I lost the most weight and learned more about my preternatural relationship with food and overeating.

Having spent the biggest part of 4 decades in the dark shadows of serial binge-dieting, I have no illusion that without my Band I would return to the sad old days of being controlled by my Belly Beasts.

Before my surgery I asked my Dr about having it removed in the future once I was at my goal. He told me to leave it in as long as I wasn't having serious issues. He said that almost 100% of patients who have it removed gain some if not all of their weight back. I think we all eventually slip back into our old bad habits....even if they're minimal, it will make a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!