Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting my journey...so lost :(

I'm 23 and just starting my Lap-Band journey but I have no idea where to begin. I need to switch doctors because the one I have has no knowledge of the procedure, how do I find that doctor? Or should I directly go to a surgeon? I'm attending a lap band seminar the end of next month, but other than that all I have is the reasearch Ive done and no where to go because I dont know what steps to take. Can someone help?

I started with my insurance company they gave a list of doctors and I visited one and liked him so much I went with him. I also knew people who had had the surgery and talked to them. If you look on this site there is a place where people talk about the docs in their area. That would be good to. Make sure that whoever you go to will help educate you and support you and not just do the surgery. The best surgeons have a staff that supports and educates you. If you can talk to people who have had surgery with your doc before you choose and not just the people at the seminar.

I'm 23 and just starting my Lap-Band journey but I have no idea where to begin. I need to switch doctors because the one I have has no knowledge of the procedure, how do I find that doctor? Or should I directly go to a surgeon? I'm attending a lap band seminar the end of next month, but other than that all I have is the reasearch Ive done and no where to go because I dont know what steps to take. Can someone help?

You will get so much information at the seminar. Maybe someone who has had the surgery will speak. If they do, they'll tell you about their experience, and show you a "before" picture. the doctor in charge of the seminar will give a general overview of the procedure, and what to expect. They gave out questionnaires before the seminar. I completed my questionnaire before the evening was over, and they scheduled an appointment with the doctor within the next week or two. All of the people in the doctors office were so nice and helpful. I never did anything, but follow the directions they gave me. I could call them at any time with questions or problems. I went to the seminar the first week in February. My surgery is scheduled for Monday. I never even had to deal with the insurance company. They did everything. Good luck to you. There is much information, and very helpful and enthusiastic people on the site. Best of luck to you. Take care. Let us know how you are doing!

I got my surgeons name from the LaBand website. It has drs listed that have previous experience doing he surgery.

I got my surgeons name from the LaBand website. It has drs listed that have previous experience doing he surgery.

You might even want to work backwards. After your seminar - ask the surgeon' office for recommendations for a primary doctor that is familiar with them. I needed my doc to arrange tests, etc before I was approved.

You might even want to work backwards. After your seminar - ask the surgeon' office for recommendations for a primary doctor that is familiar with them. I needed my doc to arrange tests, etc before I was approved.

I havent found a surgeon yet though either. Are you meaning the surgeon who is presenting the seminar? I should ask their office for doctors that are in their network? Im sorry Im just anxious to get the ball rolling I just dont know where to begin...

On this site, you can scroll down on the main page and there's a place where you can find surgeons in your area. Google them and find all the information on them you can find. Make an appointment with them and bring a list of questions to your first appointment. Thats exactly what I did. What city do you live in? My surgeon's office had me call my insurance first to make sure weight loss surgery was covered. Once I had my first appointment everything was a breeze. Try to find a doctor that has support groups for their patients. That will be extremely helpful. Also, I've spent TONS of time on this site and found answers to all of my questions... Even answers to questions I didn't even know I had. Good luck!