Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie-Is this normal?

I had my surgery on Jan 17, did the liquids/mushies for 4 weeks. Since then, I have not lost a single pound, in fact, I have gained four pounds! My third fill is due next week.

I am hungry, I appear to have no intolerance for any particular food, and for the most part, I can eat the same quantity of food as before the surgery, although I find myself eating better foods and eating less because I know I need to, not because I don't want to eat more. The only time I "get stuck" is in the first few minutes of a meal, if I eat to fast or don't chew enough. And this has happened more often than I would like; it's quite unpleasant.

I was expecting that I could not eat so much, I would not want to eat so much. But I don't have that yet. Since I'm getting stuck a lot, I guess I am restricted, but what am I missing?

The band won't literally stop you from eating. You have to put the fork down and move away. I portion out all of my food and it's helped with this problem.

The band won't literally stop you from eating. You have to put the fork down and move away. I portion out all of my food and it's helped with this problem.

I guess I'm like some of the other people here who are still hungry. What has the band done to make this easier, if I'm still hungry, I didn't need to put out $20k for pre-op, surgery, and adjustments.

For 30 years, people said eat better, eat less and exercise more. and they're still saying it. Will further fills just increase the likelihood of food getting stuck, without less appetite?

I agree somewhat that the band doesn't make my appetite go away in the way I thought it would. For me, it feels more like there's just no more room. It doesn't mean my brain doesn't want me to keep stuffing food down (and sometimes I do...and usually I regret it soonafter) but I get a very tight feeling right under my braline and I know it's time to stop eating. I've seriously cried at the dinner table because I've wanted to keep eating something b/c it was so good, but it just couldn't fit! You might need to evaluate whether you're really still hungry or if you just want more food. I still struggle with that after almost 2 years.

I think you're still in "bandster hell". You might have restriction, but maybe just not enough. I remember after a fill one day it was just like "BAM! I am so full! I can't believe I've eaten so little!". Hang in there until you get enough restriction and your band can help you!

Janiece

bbock,

I was like you said, wondering about the benefit of the band...I was still hungry and increasingly frustrated for the first two months...the lapband is not a miracle cure for obesity.

People who do not know, think it is cheating and not real hard work to lose weight when you have the lapband. The reality is very different. It is hard work. The hardest thing is to convince your brain that you do not need as much food as you took in before. You need to control your portions. Fight cravings and start to exercise.

The only thing that the band did for me is give me a painful reminder when I forgot to eat less. As you restrict (fill) your band, you take in less and less of food...if you eat too much...it comes back out/up. And in some cases you can have a slip of your band if you throw up too much. Which is bad, because you need to go under the knife again to fix it.

Anyway, check the posts here, you can find recopies for all kinds of food...depending on your current phase....it helped me a lot. You need to take small bites and chew well. You will soon learn to enjoy every little bite...enjoy the food you eat...and you shouldn't have issues with stuck food.

http://www.lapbandta...-and-nutrition/

You can DO IT! Good luck.

bbock,

I was like you said, wondering about the benefit of the band...I was still hungry and increasingly frustrated for the first two months...the lapband is not a miracle cure for obesity.

People who do not know, think it is cheating and not real hard work to lose weight when you have the lapband. The reality is very different. It is hard work. The hardest thing is to convince your brain that you do not need as much food as you took in before. You need to control your portions. Fight cravings and start to exercise.

The only thing that the band did for me is give me a painful reminder when I forgot to eat less. As you restrict (fill) your band, you take in less and less of food...if you eat too much...it comes back out/up. And in some cases you can have a slip of your band if you throw up too much. Which is bad, because you need to go under the knife again to fix it.

Anyway, check the posts here, you can find recopies for all kinds of food...depending on your current phase....it helped me a lot. You need to take small bites and chew well. You will soon learn to enjoy every little bite...enjoy the food you eat...and you shouldn't have issues with stuck food.

http://www.lapbandta...-and-nutrition/

You can DO IT! Good luck.

Your link doesn't work.

Sorry for the broken link...here it is again:

Recipes Forum

I had my surgery on Jan 17, did the liquids/mushies for 4 weeks. Since then, I have not lost a single pound, in fact, I have gained four pounds! My third fill is due next week.

I am hungry, I appear to have no intolerance for any particular food, and for the most part, I can eat the same quantity of food as before the surgery, although I find myself eating better foods and eating less because I know I need to, not because I don't want to eat more. The only time I "get stuck" is in the first few minutes of a meal, if I eat to fast or don't chew enough. And this has happened more often than I would like; it's quite unpleasant.

I was expecting that I could not eat so much, I would not want to eat so much. But I don't have that yet. Since I'm getting stuck a lot, I guess I am restricted, but what am I missing?

Try drinking some hot coffee, tea or a thin Soup just before your meals, that often loosens the band enough so that you won't get stuck on the first bite. Don't wait 30 minutes after the hot drink to start eating. Conversely, you can try drinking something cold to tighten the band when you feel too loose.

I'm sorry you're having difficulties, being banded isn't always a walk in the park. Have you tried talking to the nutritionist, dietician or one of the nurses at your bariatric practice to get some advice on your issues?

When I was banded, I was told to eat a certain amount, not to eat till I'm full. My surgeon said 3oz Protein, 1/2 cup low carb veggies. I weight my Protein, measure my veggies eat that and walk away from the table. Yes, sometimes my mouth still wants to keep eating. It takes some determination and strength. If in 20 minutes I'm really still physically hungry, I'm allowed more.. preferably only veggies, but I'm human and sometimes have more protein too.

Dr. Simpson, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, has an excellent article about banding and how much we can eat.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Hang in there. It should eventually get easier as you get control of the head hunger. And if you're still eating white carbs (bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes) consider cutting them out or at least severely restricting them. They tend to make us hungrier after eating them. Do some reading on the Glycemic Index. www.glycemicindex.com

Dr. Simpson, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, has an excellent article about banding and how much we can eat.

http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Melissannde,

Awesome article! THANKS!!

It's funny I had restriction from the start, even though my band was empty. Maybe it was mental for me. I expected restriction, so I got it. I have days where I have the "hungry horrors" and I can eat and eat (especially popcorn) and others where if I wasn't aware I wouldn't eat at all.

Try a cup of food- then wait like 10 and see if u are still really hungry or u just think u are

Thank you all for the help, and that WAS a very good article!

I have clearly been waiting for the band to tell me to stop, when in fact, I need to tell myself!

I am considering deferring this next fill. Based on the number of times my food gets stuck, I think it's better for the short term that I institute some of the new behaviors you all suggested yesterday and wait to see if I really want more restriction. Opinions?

Not a bad idea...I don't know how they do things at your surgeon's office but any time I don't get a fill they always tell me that if later I decide I need one then they will fit me in. I also weigh and measure all my food and when the food is gone I stop. It took some getting used to but now it's a habit.

Good luck!!

I have no personal experience with this yet since I was just banded yesterday, but I second what Melissande said, based on other posts I've seen, about drinking something warm prior to your meal. I've seen that suggestion several times and it seems to help most people who try it. I made a note of that in my notebook of tips I've made.

Best wishes to you! I hope you find your sweet spot soon.