Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 hr road trip 2 days after surgery

I am having surgery Thursday morning and am considering a road trip on Saturday that's about 4 hours long. I asked my surgeon and he said as long as I feel up to it he has no objections to it, but if I go he wants me to walk a few minutes every hour to help prevent blood clots. I had a laparascopic gallbladder surgery 5 yrs ago and from what I recall I felt ok enough two days later that I could have gone on a trip. If I go, I'll stay overnight and be coming back the next day. Am I totally crazy to even be considering this?

Besides the driving, what will you be doing on your trip? 2 days after surgery, I was mostly sleeping. You won't be driving, will you?

I won't have to drive...it's a concert type event but it's in a small venue. All I will have to do is ride, maybe navigate a bit, and enjoy the show :)

I couldn't have done it unless I could sleep the whole way.

Oh a dstayhydrayed,dontspoilthe show with a trip to the hospital.

I went to a concert four days after my surgery, fortunately only a 15 minute drive from home. Concert was great but I was wrecked by the end of it, especially with shoulder pain. Good luck!

Yes, the first like 4 days you hurt so bad! The pain was far worse than I expected. Because it's your stomach, everytime you move, or get up, or sit down or go to the bathroom it's very painful! Also I was pretty worn out. The car ride home from the hospital was the worst ever (It was about 80 miles from home). Not to mention you aren't eating anything so you are a little weaker than normal, your can't really shower or get dressed properly.. I started going out day 5 and I felt ok. Day 2, definitely not.

Are you going to be standing up at the concert? Because I went out shopping on day 3 and after a couple hours I started to feel a bit nauseas. Went home and felt better. Probably would've felt worse on day 2

I agree with Heather. On day two, I was hurting really badly and needed my husband's assistance around the clock.

I couldn't get up by myself and the pain would subside once I was up and walking, but it would hurt again.

The ride home for me (20 minutes) was painful and nauseating. I don't want to discourage you, but you will know the answer

by the time you have your surgery and the morning of you leaving.

Take care of yourself first before a concert. Best of luck to you and I do hope you can make it to your concert!!

Just be careful.

i had my surgery abroad and flew home on day 2. Not entirely pleasant but i had a lot of walking where as you would just be sitting.

I am having surgery Thursday morning and am considering a road trip on Saturday that's about 4 hours long. I asked my surgeon and he said as long as I feel up to it he has no objections to it, but if I go he wants me to walk a few minutes every hour to help prevent blood clots. I had a laparascopic gallbladder surgery 5 yrs ago and from what I recall I felt ok enough two days later that I could have gone on a trip. If I go, I'll stay overnight and be coming back the next day. Am I totally crazy to even be considering this?

You may be able to do this, but I think it will completely wipe you out and make you wish you had stayed home in bed!

Some patients will recover quicker than others too. If you have a hernia it may also make your recovery a little slower.

Good luck if you decide to go!

Don't do it...ther will be other concerts and other events, why risk it? This is surgery and you need to think about recovering. My nurse even advised me againt going to malls the first few days because she didn't want to risk infection. Truthfully, even if you can sit down during the entire concert-you still with feel uncomfortable-a recliner is they way to go. If the concert was a lot closer and you had the option of quickly getting home-that would be different. Some people have horrible gas pains the first week or so too. Skip the concert and take care of your body!:)

re: "Making a 4 hr road trip as passenger/navigator" probably no really big issue. But.....add in whatever time/energy demands of the concert plus ?then what? Another 4 hours back home?

re: "concert" for myself, while I _could_ have done it physically, in no way would I have wanted either crowds or noise OR open ended 'being up and out' demands on my energy level.

Proper recovery is far more important than a concert, IMHO. Perhaps doable, but exactly "why" would be the final question.

I've re-read this, and re-considered exactly how I was feeling 2 days postOp. I've changed my answer. Yes, it IS crazy to consider it!!!

Two days after surgery, I think you'll be fine. I went back to work after two days (desk job)