Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 hr road trip 2 days after surgery

I had a 4 hr drive home the day of my surgery...Of course I slept most of the way...the worst part was having to stop cause I had to pee...I wasn't exactly dressed for going into even a convenience store :blink:...but to be honest, I didn't care! lol !!! :D

I didn't have much post op pain but boy was I tired! I think the lack of calories plus recovering for anesthesia was really draining. I was still napping every day at two weeks out.

I personally wouldn't have been able to do it. I was in pain for at least 2 weeks.

I probably could have done it but everyone is different. Just play it by ear and see how you feel.

I had surgery 3 weeks ago and can't imagine having gone to a concert 2 days later. I went to a concert 11 days post-op and after standing for 4 hrs thought I was going to die. I rode in the car for the first time (aside from the day of surgery) 4 days post op and every bump was very uncomfortable. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you to everyone for your input! I had my surgery yesterday morning, so I'm about 36 hours post-op right now. My biggest complaint is pain in my arms and legs where I've been using those muscles instead of my stomach muscles! It's pretty well controlled by my meds, though. Yesterday I went out walking about 4 times just around my block, and so far today I've been up and out twice and am about to go walking again in a few minutes. I've been sleeping quite a lot but it's a very restful sleep and I do feel like it's helping me heal.

I still haven't made my decision about the concert. I have until mid-afternoon tomorrow to make the decision, so I think I will just keep doing what I have been doing and then see how I feel tomorrow.

don't do it I would say it takes a week to get back to close to normal. The gas pain in your neck and shoulder hurts you will need the rest and be able to stretch when necessary.

I am having surgery Thursday morning and am considering a road trip on Saturday that's about 4 hours long. I asked my surgeon and he said as long as I feel up to it he has no objections to it, but if I go he wants me to walk a few minutes every hour to help prevent blood clots. I had a laparascopic gallbladder surgery 5 yrs ago and from what I recall I felt ok enough two days later that I could have gone on a trip. If I go, I'll stay overnight and be coming back the next day. Am I totally crazy to even be considering this?

Thank you to everyone for your input! I had my surgery yesterday morning, so I'm about 36 hours post-op right now. My biggest complaint is pain in my arms and legs where I've been using those muscles instead of my stomach muscles! It's pretty well controlled by my meds, though. Yesterday I went out walking about 4 times just around my block, and so far today I've been up and out twice and am about to go walking again in a few minutes. I've been sleeping quite a lot but it's a very restful sleep and I do feel like it's helping me heal.

I still haven't made my decision about the concert. I have until mid-afternoon tomorrow to make the decision, so I think I will just keep doing what I have been doing and then see how I feel tomorrow.

Let us know your decision!!! I have been watching this topic for a while now so don't leave me hanging!!!!

I still stick with my original comments.

You can do it but you will regret it!!! Take care of yourself and I hope you prove me wrong if you decide to go!

I would worry about setting yourself up for a blood clot. 2 risks for blood clots are surgery (esp abdominal) and long car rides. Why chance it?

UPDATE: I decided to do the trip. I was feeling pretty good when I woke up Saturday morning, so I took a 15 min walk and thought about it and decided to go for it. Once we got on the road, I set my timer for an hour and we stopped. My sis and my daughters ate lunch at Culver's while I walked around the parking lot :) Then we got back on the road, and about an hour and 15 min later we stopped to get gas and I walked around the gas station parking lot. Back on the road again and we were at our destination about 1 1/2 hours after that.

Once we were there, my sis took the kids swimming while I took a nap in the hotel room, then we got ready for the show. The show lasted longer than I expected it to and I was on my feet some, but I was able to sit when I wanted and felt fine. Then it was back to the hotel and off to sleep. I didn't get to sleep as late as I would have liked to, but I felt rested. We did the same thing on the drive home, stopping around every hour so I could walk.

I'm feeling tired today but I had trouble falling asleep last night and I'm sure the combo of that plus the trip has made me tired. Fortunately, I don't have to do anything today, so I'm just chillin in my recliner enjoying the a/c since it's getting pretty toasty outside! I went out walking for 10 minutes earlier and I'm going to play on the Wii this afternoon while it's so warm out, then hopefully this evening I can take another walk when it cools off.

I am glad I chose to go because we had a great time. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone tho LOL!

I really appreciate all the input I received on here and I did take it all into consideration when making my decision. You all were very helpful!