Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for anyone who cheated on their pre- op diet

I am on my 2 week pre- op liquid diet and for some insane reason I cheated last night. I really don't know how I convienced myself it was ok but I cheated BAD last night. I followed the diet to the "T" for a week and still have another week to go but last night something snapped in my head. I absolutely will not cheat again. Did anybody else cheat on their liquid diet and if so was your liver small enough? I feel horribly guilty! :unsure:

I know I messed up so please, I do not need a lecture.

Thanks!

No lecture here. I think a lot of us have cheated in our lifetimes when trying to follow an eating plan or else we wouldn't be where we are getting WLS. Dust yourself off, get rid of the guilty feelings, and start fresh this morning following the diet plan exactly. It's part of the process to hopefully make for an easy surgery and recovery as well as the beginning to following rules that we bandsters will need to follow. You can do this!!!! Have a great day and don't look back :)

Girl,

I CHEATED TOO!!!! (Did I inspire you to cheat too??? LOL)

Let's throw away the guilt now!!! We did it, we feel bad, now we need to move on!!! Don't look back, you can only change the future, not the past! Monday will be here before we know it!!! :D

Hugs,

Kristi

I am on my 2 week pre- op liquid diet and for some insane reason I cheated last night. I really don't know how I convienced myself it was ok but I cheated BAD last night. I followed the diet to the "T" for a week and still have another week to go but last night something snapped in my head. I absolutely will not cheat again. Did anybody else cheat on their liquid diet and if so was your liver small enough? I feel horribly guilty! :unsure:

Thanks!

Thanks!

You will be fine, and yes your liver will be small enough! get rid of your guilt, this is a journey...not a test we will all have ups and downs! good luck!

I did... I had a couple times where I just couldn't stand it, and I did cheat. The best thing you can do is just not beat yourself up about it. When you beat yourself up about it you can get in a guilt cycle, which might make you more likely to emotionally eat. Just look at everything like it's a step on your journey. We are all human, we make mistakes. You can look at the mistake and learn from it.

Just use it as a tool for the next time you want to cheat. Really consider if it's worth it to you.

And although I cheated a couple of times on my pre-op diet, I still lost a good amount of weight before surgery, and was just fine.

Best of luck to you! You are going to do great!

Oh yeah, I cheated. I only did the Pre-Op diet for 8 days. I had 2 Beefy 5 layer burritos from Taco Bell one day. 2 Days before surgery I made some homeade Dos Equis beer battered onion rings and they were huge, ate about 5 of them. The DAY BEFORE, lol..I had a chicken breast from chicken Express minus the skin and a big chocolate chip cookie.

My Surgeon showed me a picture of my liver and said he was pleased at how well I did on my pre-op. Hahaa.

I honestly believe they put us on the diet knowing we may cheat some that even if we are compliant 75% of that time we're still by far better off than doing nothing at all.

My surgeon only had me on a pre-op diet for 2 days prior to band date. Don't feel too guilty. I think the surgery is easier if the liver is smaller but you will be fine

Some people only have to do a 1 week preop diet anyways, so I doubt it's going to be a big deal. You still have a full week to go....it will be fine! I have been really strict on mine and probably shouldn't have been so "by the books." My surgery is Thursday so I guess I can make it a couple more days....lol. Good luck!

Same here. I was on liquids for 18 days. Twelve days in those hot dogs looked pretty good and I could not look another container of yogurt in the face; I ate one of them. Also didn't strain out all the goodies from my chicken noodle Soup a couple of times. My doc was extremely pleased with my pre op weight loss (22 pounds) and the size of my liver. I was worried about that. She told me if it was too big she would wake me up and we would have to start back on square one, she would not put my life at risk and continue with the surgery. The first thing I did when I came to after surgery was look at my belly (after the dry heaves). What a relief. I'm on mushy's now and loving it. Tahi spicy tuna from Bumble Bee is out of this world. Got a good idea off the food Network about butter Beans, ham and onions all whipped up with my immersion blender (my new best friend). I do not miss cheeseburgers and pizza. There is a whole new world of flavors out there I am discovering. Plus I'm saving a fortune on groceries. Shoot-fire, I may just stay on mushies for awhile. I do need to watch my Portion Control. I overate last night. Was not a good feeling. Another lesson learned the hard way. Most of us have strayed a little far from the wagon, but we got back on when it left the station. Don't sweat it and keep on truckin'.

I too cheated on my pre-op diet. When I did, I scoured theforums looking for others who did because I was worried about my liver size andthe ‘waking up and not having a band’horror stories. I only cheated three times, but I tried to keep my cheatswithin my liquid diet requirements. Meaning, I didn’t go over my carb or fatlimit, and I met my Protein limits. But I still was so very worried, like I’dwake up and the doctor would tell me that he saw the cheese I ate stuck in myliver and he couldn’t give me the band. Well, I woke up with the band. I stilllost 28 pounds on the liquid diet for two weeks, and a hybrid liquid diet theweek before that, which my doctor’s office put me on. I was told I had a fattyliver before, and I guess it still was fatty after the surgery, but I still gotmy band. I personally feel that if you still stayed within your doctor’sguidelines, even though it wasn’t liquid, you’ll still be fine. Especially ifyou show some sort of weight loss during the time you were on the liquid diet.Good luck, and I’m sure everything will be fine!

I cheated during the first week of my pre-op diet. That is when I was the most hungry. I cheated with Protein so I didn't feel as bad. I had some cottage cheese once and I had some greek yogurt another time. The second week and the final days of Clear Liquids actually got easier. The morning I checked in to the hospital, the nurse asked me if I was starving. At that point I was so nervous and anxious that I couldn't think straight but I told her that it hadn't been as bad as I thought. She said she hears that more often than not. Something happens when you're kind of in starvation mode and it must turn those hunger signals off. Strange. Anyway, move forward and dont' look back. Do they best you can between now and surgery and you'll be fine. I myself will NEVER EAT Jello AGAIN!!!! ha ha

The Dr. had me on a 12 month Diet. When he said 2 weeks liquid. I was going O common! . He smiled and said OK keep up the diet, and 3 days before surgery, you go straight to liquids.

I made sure I had my Last Supper though. So I guess you can call that cheating.....B)

I did not have to do a pre-op diet....and although I hate to admit it, I ate everything in sight up to midnight the night before my surgery (and guzzled about 4 cans of soda)...and everything went fine :) Don't beat yourself up, just get right back on track! Good luck!

I did not have to do a pre-op diet....and although I hate to admit it, I ate everything in sight up to midnight the night before my surgery (and guzzled about 4 cans of soda)...and everything went fine :) Don't beat yourself up, just get right back on track! Good luck!