Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery about 4 days ago, and for the 1st couple of days I was suffering from severe gas that gave me pain. I am pretty sure the gas is gone, and I am starting to feel normal again. However, I can be sitting there, and all of a sudden I get a severe pain in my chest like a golf ball is stuck there. This pain can last anywhere from 5 sec to 30 secs. I even wake up in the middle of the night with the same feeling. It sometimes feels like something is lodged, but I know it's not. Since I am only on liquids. If this pain could go away, I would feel fine. Can someone help me, because I don't think I am going to make it until my 2 week check up?

I had my surgery about 4 days ago, and for the 1st couple of days I was suffering from severe gas that gave me pain. I am pretty sure the gas is gone, and I am starting to feel normal again. However, I can be sitting there, and all of a sudden I get a severe pain in my chest like a golf ball is stuck there. This pain can last anywhere from 5 sec to 30 secs. I even wake up in the middle of the night with the same feeling. It sometimes feels like something is lodged, but I know it's not. Since I am only on liquids. If this pain could go away, I would feel fine. Can someone help me, because I don't think I am going to make it until my 2 week check up?

Could be just a spasm. But if it were me, i would ring the physician just so they know what symptoms you are having. ANd maybe they have some advice or will want to see you. I am 10 days post op and I am feeling things I have never felt before, but feeling good. Hope you are feeling better soon.

I had my op on 10th June and i am in exactly the same boat as you, it stops me in my tracks, the gas is a little better today but still finding it uncomfortable, but the chest pain/spasm/lodged feeling is very painful...dont know what it is

I was banded June 9th! Same thing, it's almost like I have to burp and I feel it coming then it stops in my chest and is so painful. It also stops me in my tracks and then it's gone! My chest is very sore and when I lay down, I feel as it something is blocking me from taking full breaths, it's painful. I see my surgeon on Thursday for my post-op appointment. Can't wait to ask about this!

I had surgery June 8th - I had the same thing but it went away - I did not have much gas pain the first few days however on day 5 I had VERY SEVERE gas pain in the shoulder however Gas X strip as well as heating pad- walking and hot tea helps a ton

Thanks so much you guys. It's glad to hear that I am not by myself. I haven't had the pain today, as of yet. Hopefully it will stay gone. My surgeon's nurse called today, and I told her what was going on. She also told me to try the chewable Gas-X. She also asked had I had a bowel movement, and I told her I went constantly on yesterday. She was a little concerened about the diaherra, but told me to make sure I keep myself hydrated. I think my body is get rid of all the bad toxins I use to put in my body. I guess it's trying to adjust to this new style of living. The only thing I am worried about is the loose skin. So everymorning I lift my 5 pound weight with each arm for 50 repts. I also tried going to the gym yesterday, and I did good with the weights, but that dog on treadmill. As soon as I got started there came the pain in the chest. SO I think I am going to build my strength back up. Good Luck to all.:D

Im not seeing my aftercare team until july so would appreciate hearing what your guys think! Hopefully it will clear, its really crappy :(

Good idea about the weights, i intend on starting when i am healed

Thanks so much you guys. It's glad to hear that I am not by myself. I haven't had the pain today, as of yet. Hopefully it will stay gone. My surgeon's nurse called today, and I told her what was going on. She also told me to try the chewable Gas-X. She also asked had I had a bowel movement, and I told her I went constantly on yesterday. She was a little concerened about the diaherra, but told me to make sure I keep myself hydrated. I think my body is get rid of all the bad toxins I use to put in my body. I guess it's trying to adjust to this new style of living. The only thing I am worried about is the loose skin. So everymorning I lift my 5 pound weight with each arm for 50 repts. I also tried going to the gym yesterday, and I did good with the weights, but that dog on treadmill. As soon as I got started there came the pain in the chest. SO I think I am going to build my strength back up. Good Luck to all.:D

Hi,

I had the same chest pain post op. I thought it was severe gas, I spent the nights walking and taking gas x strips, until I maxxed out on them. By my first morning home I couldnt breathe, I was taking shallow breaths and and finally I had to call the doctor. He said go straight to ER. I went to Er I could barely even stand. I was not feeling well at all. It wasnt band related pain. They did all tests, EKG, CT with contrast, ect. everything looked good. They gave me pain meds and I was feeling much better. They kept me over night to watch me and the pain would come and go. I felt like it was related to the anesthisa. When I went back for my one week post op check up, the doctor said its possible it could be a bronchospasm from the anesthia. I was banded on May 19, 2011. I am feeling much better now. Make sure you use your incentive spirometer especially if those chest pains are causing you to take only shallow breaths. Its important to inflate your lungs.

hang in there!!!

Sherry

I was banded June 6th and I experienced the same thing. I went to my post op visit and there was pre liquid in my band which was removed I instantly felt better. The flip side of this is I have no restriction n can eat anything. Can't wait for my first fill which is july 6 I just hope I don't go back to the spasms and back and chest pain. Good luck everyone!

I am struggling with some pain, can't figure out if it is gas or not. I can't get comfortable. I was banded on the 23rd.

weight.png