Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 18 years old and had the lap-band surgery on Aug 9th 2010. I have only had one fill about 5 months ago and was filled a very small amount. Everything was fine until I had some chicken get stuck about a month ago. I threw it up with a very nasty mucus around the stuff that came up and went to the ER because everything was tight. They did an xray and said nothing else was stuck and that I had an esophagial ebrasion (spelling?) and to take it slow and easy for the next week. They never told me how the band looked though. For the next week I ate soft foods and was extremely careful of how much and how fast I was eating. Everything was going well until I started eating normal foods again. Any kind of meat I eat, besids sea food, gets tight in my throat and I throw it up. And now for the past 3 weeks I havn't been hungry at all. I eat a quarter cup of food and am bursting full and it is almost difficult to swallow some things. I can drink Water fine. Also, when I do throw the stuff up with that mucus, I can't even handle my own saliva. I have pain in my stomach and throat sometimes, but can't tell if it is simply stomache pain or the band. I am very worried about band slippage and I am making an appointment for this week to go see someone about it I just wanted to know if anyone had some feedback for me.

Thanks.

IrishHare92

Are you keeping down fluids? If not, you should be seen by someone right away. If you can, I would stick to protien shakes until you see your doc. If keeping liquids down isn't a problem I doubt your band slipped. You were probably a little too tight from the fill and the vomiting has kept you swollen. You probably just need a slight unfill. Hope you feel better soon!

I agree with VLP. When you are eating, how big are the bites? Remember they need to be teeny tiny and chewed very well. The pain you describe is that of food getting stuck, and the saliva goes along with that.

Here's a link to slippage info from my surgeon's website.

http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/lap-band/lap-band-complications/slippage.html

My bites are always small and I chew until whatever it is is mush. I don't know maybe it's just a thing I'm going through right now. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning. I'll post what he says about it. I think I am just getting myself all worked up about it. worrying for no reason....:(

I agree with an earlier reply, just have shakes and other lquids until you see the doctor. I had a similar issue and kept trying to eat and was causing my stomach to swell from the vomiting. I had to have 2 deflates to allow healing to occur which it did. I will have a fill tomorrow.

Hang in there and try not to worry!

Joan

One year and one month after lap band surgery, I found myself having gallbladder removal surgery. Something worth checking into. I too had issues keeping food down. I couldn't tell difference as to if band was too tight, acid reflux, etc. I hadn't had a fill in nearly two months, then had some taken out after having a night of sliming and nausea. I was good for one week and issues started again. So, started taking acid reflux meds. Same results. I then read up on gallbladder symptoms. Then it all made sense. Even though I didn't have gallbladder attacks as many describe to be horrid, I did have nausea which I thought was result of band tightness. I also had mild shoulderblade pain after eating. Nonetheless, it took over a month where I said enough was enough, I need my gallbladder checked. Sure enough! I had diagnosed myself! "very low functioning" gallbladder. i feel waaay better! Now to the point I need a fill. lol

Keep an eye when eating these foods:

Fatty meats

Breads

cheese

Spicy foods

Creamy dressings, gravies, bbq sauce(think stuff)

Sausage

I really noticed something was wrong when it took me over an hour to eat an egg!

People who have rapid weight loss tend to need their gallbladder removed. I am one. lol

I am 18 years old and had the lap-band surgery on Aug 9th 2010. I have only had one fill about 5 months ago and was filled a very small amount. Everything was fine until I had some chicken get stuck about a month ago. I threw it up with a very nasty mucus around the stuff that came up and went to the ER because everything was tight. They did an xray and said nothing else was stuck and that I had an esophagial ebrasion (spelling?) and to take it slow and easy for the next week. They never told me how the band looked though. For the next week I ate soft foods and was extremely careful of how much and how fast I was eating. Everything was going well until I started eating normal foods again. Any kind of meat I eat, besids sea food, gets tight in my throat and I throw it up. And now for the past 3 weeks I havn't been hungry at all. I eat a quarter cup of food and am bursting full and it is almost difficult to swallow some things. I can drink Water fine. Also, when I do throw the stuff up with that mucus, I can't even handle my own saliva. I have pain in my stomach and throat sometimes, but can't tell if it is simply stomache pain or the band. I am very worried about band slippage and I am making an appointment for this week to go see someone about it I just wanted to know if anyone had some feedback for me.

Thanks.

IrishHare92

I was banded exactly one week after you and I am having a LOT of the same issues as you are. I am waiting on a call from my dr today. I got food stuck almost 2 weeks ago and took it easy for the next couple days. Then one night I vomited...really vomited..not just sliming...after eating a few shrimp. My friend and my son also was sick so I figured we had a virus. (we didnt eat the same stuff) I took it easy with liquids for 2 days then the next morning I could not even get coffee down so my dr unfilled me. That was last Friday and I still am having trouble. I have been completely closed to where even Water wont go down. I do have a couple hours each day where i have been able to get liquids down but then it seems to close back up! Its crazy!! Last night I could not even get a sip of water or my Protein drink down but this morning I've had a bottled water and some thin grits with no problem. I cannot figure it out. I'm hoping they will check me and remove more Fluid from my band. I have 5cc in a 10cc band .

Let us know what you find out. Hope you feel better soon!

Just wanted to let you know that I just got home from my Dr"s office. He removed another cc and gave me a 5 day rx for acid reflux. He thinks I'm just really irritated from vomiting and sliming. He told me not to worry that I would definately know if my band had slipped because there would be a pain in my chest that stayed constant. I was also told to be on liquids for 48 hrs and if it wouldnt fit thru a straw that I couldnt have it. We shall see if it fixes me!

Glad to hear it isn't a slip. Take it very easy! Hope you are feeling better soon!

As long as you can feel the swelling in your pouch, stay on liquid. Because It can swell back up with regular food, if it's to soon.

Just some words of wisdom to remember.

Shirley

Just wanted to let you know that I just got home from my Dr"s office. He removed another cc and gave me a 5 day rx for acid reflux. He thinks I'm just really irritated from vomiting and sliming. He told me not to worry that I would definately know if my band had slipped because there would be a pain in my chest that stayed constant. I was also told to be on liquids for 48 hrs and if it wouldnt fit thru a straw that I couldnt have it. We shall see if it fixes me!

Glad to hear that things are OK!

Take it easy, Joan