Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the deal with Greek Yogurt anyay?

A lot of people on this forum mention eating Greek Yogurt and I was curious as to how it's different than reguar yogurt> My friend has a fittness instructor who recommends it and I am watching the Nate Berkus show and they are saying it makes the skin better. I checked it out in the supermarket and it is not that low in calories (compared to Dannon light), So what's the deal with GY anyway? How does it taste? Should I try it?

Greek Yogurt has a lot more Protein than regular yogurts. I think dannon light and fit only has 5 or 6 grams of protein for 6oz, where greek has something like 12 grams of protein. I dont care for it at all...to me it has a very sour smell that makes me sick to my stomach. I hear that dannon and yoplait now make greek yogurt and my nutritionist recommended that I try it since she said those are not as "sour". They are also kind of pricey in my opinion. You should definitely try it...good luck!

The Protein content is great for something so small; the calories aren't high at all but I guess it depends on how many calories youre eating a day. It's great mixed with granola and fruit and if you add some sort of sweetener to it the sourness really dies down a lot.

I eat GY every morning mixed with oatmeal, a scoop of Protein powder, cereal/granola and whatever else. Easy Breakfast full of Protein.< /p>

Mmmmmm. I love mine mixed with 1/4 cup of Kashi GoLean, which gives me something to chew and adds even more Protein, plus Fiber. It's tangy, not too sweet. Look for the protein and carb count and try to avoid the ones with fruit on the bottom, as that adds a lot of carbs.

I love Greek Yogurt! Like others have said, it has more Protein that regular yogurt which is great for us bandsters since our diet is very focused on protein. It is thicker and a more tangy than regular yogurt but it keeps me full and is a good choice if I need to grab something quick for Breakfast. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are watching your carbs, Chobani yogurt (my fav) has 22g of carbs per 6 oz serving but it also has 14g protein...I can make it work with my diet although it has about half the total carbs I normally consume in a day...

also, greek yogurt tastes a lot like sour cream, so if i have a baked potato or something of that nature, i put greek yogurt on it instead. i can get Protein that way NOT that i am advocating eating carbs (disclaimer B) ) but if you DO ever eat a baked potato, or even mashed potatoes, it's a good way to get more Protein without using sour cream.

you can use it on anything that you would use sour cream in. on the mushy stage, you can use the salsa, cheese and greek yogurt! so versatile.

The greek yogurt I eat comes in a container with the plain yogurt on one side and blueberries on the side. After you open you mix the two together and it is very yummy!!!

I have found it at HEB and at Walmart, but not at Kroger. There are some other flavors too but I am loving the blueberries!!

Plus it helps me get in my daily protein!

I'd seen so many people eating it, I'd bought it a while ago just to see what it tastes like and I did not like it at all. I had to add quite a bit of splenda to it to just make it tolerable. Yeah, so I don't eat it. But it does have a good amount of Protein in it

When I make chicken salad, I use a small container of plain greek yogurt to replace part of the mayo. Not all of it.. too sour, but about 1/3 to 1/2 can be replaced with the greek.

Add a package of Ranch dressing mix to plain greek yogurt for a high Protein dip for your veggies.

I make a smoothie in the mornings with 1 small carton of Dannon or Oikos greek yogurt, 16 oz crystal light, a scoop of Syntrax Nectar, 4 strawberries and 4 ice cubes. This makes a big smoothie.. I drink about 2/3 of it in the Morning before my workout and the remainder when I get home 3 hours later.

Good stuff and very versatile. I don't do the stuff with the fruit on the side except when I'm away from home and can't find a good alternative.. .. too many sugars.

I sometimes make my own Greek yogurt to save money and FYI you can make even thicker and creamier. First you line a strainer with coffee filters then add plain yogurt and place over a bowl. I put a bit of plastic wrap over the yogurt and then put it in the fridge overnight. The next mornignyou have really thick creamy Greek yogurt. Sometimes I leave it longer and it gets to be almost the consistancy of cream cheese.< /p>