Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to make a decision..

I was informed that due to swallowing and dysphagia problems as a result of my myasthenia gravis, it is not recommended that I have a lapband. My doctor said that the gastric sleeve would be a more logical choice in my situation. My problem is that it scares me. I just wonder what any of you would do. I know it will take something drastic to get the weight off of me. I have to do something. I can't just diet and excercise is very minimal due to my condition. I could really use some prayers and advice, anything anyone can tell me. I know I will need to convert to the sleeve forum :( I just feel I know some of you here, if you could help me find the answer. I'm really scared. I never thought I'd have to make this decision.

Well... if I were you I'd do the sleeve. Yes it's very drastic but if you won't be able to get the weight off on your own, it'll surely help.

I was informed that due to swallowing and dysphagia problems as a result of my myasthenia gravis, it is not recommended that I have a lapband. My doctor said that the gastric sleeve would be a more logical choice in my situation. My problem is that it scares me. I just wonder what any of you would do. I know it will take something drastic to get the weight off of me. I have to do something. I can't just diet and excercise is very minimal due to my condition. I could really use some prayers and advice, anything anyone can tell me. I know I will need to convert to the sleeve forum :( I just feel I know some of you here, if you could help me find the answer. I'm really scared. I never thought I'd have to make this decision.

I understand your concern and worries. It's a completely different surgery and one that can be scary!

Here are my thoughts....if you trust you dr enough to do the lap band then I would think you would trust him enough to do the sleeve. I can tell you that I wish I had the sleeve instead of the band! My Dr's nurse tried to convince me to do the sleeve because she says there isnt as many later complications with it. My dr would not do it because I was not heavy enough. I am a worry wart and am scared that my band will slip someday. With the sleeve there are no foreign objects in your body to worry about which means no slippage or erosion. Its also less invasive than gastric bypass. In my opinion its the best of both worlds.

I have 2 friends with the band...one slipped and had to have it fixed and the other had it removed because of erosion. My hubby and cousin both had bypass. I do not personally know anyone with the sleeve but everyone at my support group meetings with the sleeve have really lost a ton of weight.

I will say a lil prayer that God gives you the comfort and peace you need to make a decision you are comfortable with!

I did 1200 calories a day with no exercise at all, and lost over 100lbs. in a year. Now that is very doable with a journal, and Protein shakes to kill hunger. But can you keep it off is the Question. If the answer is no then I would go with the Dr. suggestion.

You can always try the Diet and see how it works. If it;s no good,,, Go see your Dr....

Good Health to you, Shirley.

Hi peacequeen...

A couple of things. First off, if your doctor said this after a full examination, then listen to him/her. Some patients are very set on a specific surgery even though it is not for them.

Second: I am a strong advocate of the VSG. The procedure has evolved so much since its entrance in the WLS market, that it is now a very safe and effective way to help patients lose weight. Once mastered, the technique is very safe, given the fact that the anatomy of the area is quite predictable.

Lastly, if you are definitely sure you want to go through a procedure, surround yourself by people who have done this (aka this forum!!). Ask as many questions and ask some more unitl you are satisfied and are 110% sure you know what you want and what is best for you.

Best of luck,

Dr. JSA

I would go for the sleeve! I thought about it myself, and at times wonder if I should've gone that route! You will do good with the sleeve. I think that you won't have any regrets! Surgeries are scary no matter what your having done, and they all have complications risk, so just go with the one your doctor thinks would be best, and be regret-free! Good luck, and keep us posted. Also you can stay with this forum if you want!! I would def. join a sleeve forum for answers to questions, but your always welcomed here too!

I can only tell you what I would do if I was in your situation...I would get the sleeve. After spending my entire life dieting to lose weight only to gain it (and more) back I decided that I needed some help to finally conquer this issue. If lapband had not been an option for me due to health reasons, I would have had the sleeve. I know several people in my support group who are doing very well with the sleeve and are very happy that they had it done.

I know you feel comfortable here on LBT, but I would recommend hanging out on the VSG site to get to know them and to be able to get your questions answered (you can still come visit us whenever you want to let us know how you're doing ;) ).

Good luck to you!

Get the sleeve! The Lap band has only been around for about 20+ years & sometime thru your lifetime, you will need to get additional surgery to have it removed & possibly get the sleeve then. So, why not just do the sleeve now, & be done with it?!?

Dona

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the support. I'm really educating myself on the sleeve. I'm still undecided but I'm still in the process of the hoop jumping.lol I'll keep you guys posted and check in to see how everyone is doing. You guys are really wonderful and I wish the best for each of you!!!:D

Have you looked into gastric plication? It's a folding process rather than a cutting process, but my (limited) understanding is that the results are similar to those of the sleeve.

I beleive the best way tol find out is to hear it from people experiences themselves...im sorry this happen to you..but i personally no many people who have had the sleeve and the band and are well..you need a support group..that is going through exactly what you are. So i suggest you try to find some people who have been where you are. Here are some links to start with :):)

And there are many more :) dont fear change..fear not making a change :)

GO FOR THE SLEEVE!!! I made the mistake of not listening to my surgeon. Now, three years later after dealing with TOO many complications, he will be revising me to a sleeve. If I had known what I did three years ago, the Lap Band would have been the scarier route for me to go and I would have chosen the sleeve.

Lizzy, I'd love to have plication but my insurance doesn't cover it. It would be my top choice over all. I have medicare and uhc and neither cover it (last I checked).

Kristey, if I have wls, I HAVE to have the sleeve..or bypass..which I would choose the sleeve since it's less invasive. I'm not on a crusade to bash the ban, I just can't have it due to health issues..my decision will be to have or not to have wls, period. That's why I was asking for advice. Thank you for your input though.

Thank you, mrstlovely, a support group is a very good idea. This forum has been acting as support for me and I'm sure the sleeve forum will also be helpful. Meeting people in person will probably help me make a decision though..seeing people face to face after having the surgery and the results they have gotten will be motivating too.

Do you happen to have a support group in your area you can attend? It's how I made the decision to go on ahead and get my band revised. (Hopefully the group you find, if you're able to, is as wonderful and supportive as the one I attend.) The people that are there have had EVERY version of WLS performed on them. I was leaning more toward going for the Roux-en-Y procedure, but after talking to others in the support group, along with my surgeon, I decided that the sleeve would be best in the long run.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Lizzy, I'd love to have plication but my insurance doesn't cover it. It would be my top choice over all. I have medicare and uhc and neither cover it (last I checked).

Kristey, if I have wls, I HAVE to have the sleeve..or bypass..which I would choose the sleeve since it's less invasive. I'm not on a crusade to bash the ban, I just can't have it due to health issues..my decision will be to have or not to have wls, period. That's why I was asking for advice. Thank you for your input though.

Thank you, mrstlovely, a support group is a very good idea. This forum has been acting as support for me and I'm sure the sleeve forum will also be helpful. Meeting people in person will probably help me make a decision though..seeing people face to face after having the surgery and the results they have gotten will be motivating too.